+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyB View Post
    I think it is inappropriate at a party for children where other parents have left ad you are responsible for the care of their children.
    This is what worries me too. DD gets invited to lots of school parties, some of the parents I know others I know by sight and will give them a smile and that's it. I don't know them that well, and I certainly don't know what their friends are like. I would be upset to pick her up from a party where adults are drinking and possibly not supervising... and we know it only takes one or two to impair judgment.

I do find it ironic though that some in that cannabis thread weren't ok with adults who had smoked the night before but weren't substance effected while watching their kids, yet are fine with adults drinking (even if it's only a few) while directly supervising their kids.

But then that's my own personal bias showing thru...

In regards to seeing parents drink. I actually think seeing them drink occasionally in moderation can be healthy and helps reduce the taboo factor. I don't have an issue with a group bbq where I am supervising my kids and friends are having a couple of glasses of wine. I just think drinking at a child's party is unnecessary, and it scares me as a parent who drops my kids off to think all the adults are drinking and I don't know how many they plan to have.
    Last edited by delirium; 07-11-2011 at 16:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well WCM, I agree 100% with your last post, and it is how I view my children seeing drinking. I think I was thrown by your comment that they *need* to see it and I think you meant that in a different way to how I took it now that I have read your latest post. I agree you cannot avoid alcohol and so do your best to represent how it should be consumed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Meh. I like a drink. So do my friends. Any afternoon BBQ would have beer and wine. A ten am event wouldn't. No biggie in my circle, but if it bothers you then make it booze free. Also, every fete I have ever been to has had an alcohol area. Parents chatting with a wine or a beer. It's very relaxed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I dropped my child at a birthday party and came back to see adults drinking, I would be angry.
    If they choose to drink after the party and are no longer responsible for my child then I have no issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    I just personally think it doesn't need to accompany every event, and that parents aren't being altruistic in their drinking lol. Feel free to say you like a drink, don't try and tell everyone you like a drink because you are teaching your child and you prefer they watch you drink than others who get drunk. It doesn't compute statistically.
    I don't understand drinking at every event, either. I don't actually drink anywhere but at home but people are entitled to drink safely for whatever reasons they see fit - it's their reason

I enjoy a drink occasionally with my dinner and, yup, because I enjoy it. But I do believe creating the idea that a small amount of alcohol with dinner for adults IS the way alcohol should be consumed will benefit MY DS. Just as I eat ice cream in moderation and small amounts, I don't binge on bad food either because it's not good for me but also to teach DS that junk food is for eating in small amounts and occasionally, not binging.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

I do find it ironic though that some in that cannabis thread weren't ok with adults who had smoked the night before but weren't substance effected while watching their kids, yet are fine with adults drinking (even if it's only a few) while directly supervising their kids.

But then that's my own personal bias showing thru...
    I may be one of the people you are referring to here.

My main issue with marijuana was that it is illegal. It also remains in the system for a much longer time than alcohol. There's more to it than that, but I don't want to reopen that debate at the moment.

If I was responsible for supervising someone else's kids then I would not drink. I have, however, only been to parties where all the parents are there. For DD's birthday there were a handful of children and lots of adults. I appreciate that may change as she gets older.

This is where I was arguing for context to be applied. Personally, I think it is fine for people to drink alcohol in moderation at a child's party. I also think it's fine for people to say that the type of party/ mix of adults and children means that alcohol is not wanted at that event. If alcohol is there then I believe that people need to make responsible choices. My DH doesn't drink, and I don't drink very much. If everyone was getting tipsy then I can see there being a problem.

All about context.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Bubhub

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I'm with you really. For her first birthay we had family come over later that night with an esky and a plate of food. Even though she was in bed by then it didn't s it well with me. It was *her* s pecial day. It was n't a d ay for people to drink. At any other party we may have it's different. We have those "bring a chair/plate of food/your own esky" type get togethers fairly often but not for a child's party.
    i agree!
    I wouldnt even think about taking alcohol to a kids bday!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yeah if I'm there supervising my own kids, I could handle others having a few. But when they hit school, and especially when you don't know every parent, it would be rather uncomfortable to just say hi, I don't know you but I'm staying at the party. I know that's not what you meant, but when they get to school, that's what runs thru your head. As it is, I'm a helicopter parent and worry if she's ok, but the thought of drinking when I'm not around scares me

Thanks
    Reviews
    With the situation of people dropping their kids there and then the parents in charge drinking, I personally think that's horrifically irresponsible.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    With the situation of people dropping their kids there and then the parents in charge drinking, I personally think that's horrifically irresponsible.
    Yeah I can agree with that.

I can't imagine just dropping jasper & leaving, but he's still little. When do those type parties start? I really don't want to host parties where parents drop off & leave either until he's like umm 18 or so. Lol.

(I guess like 10 or so?)