+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    I didn't quote the second part of your post because it wasn't relevant to what I was asking. I was just very surprised by the first part of your post....probably more so because it was you saying it. I disagree with the first part of your post but need to go so I can elaborate further later if need be (plus I've had 2 hours sleep and not sure I can construct what I want to say properly...but I can at least try).
    I haven't always agreed with doing this, but have come to realise (have had it hammered home to me) that kids need to see alcohol being consumed sensibly, in moderation in a social setting.

I still teach my kids that it is technically a drug, a poison and not necessary to live life.

I still do not have alcohol in my fridge at home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Just looking for clarity- why is it inappropriate? Im talking someone having a single glass of wine or a beer?
    Because some people aren't comfortable with alcohol. Even if its one glass. Thats all that matters

Im not against alcohol at all, and I also think that hiding alcohol from kids are teaching them they should abstain from alcohol creates more problems than it solves.
    Last edited by Lemmings; 07-11-2011 at 13:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on the fence. I remember my dad drinking beer and mum drinking wine but i turned out to be not much of a drinker. But ive been at parties when the kids are tired out watching a movie and the adults crack out a few drinks.

But then I was genuinely surprised when I went to my nieces school fate and they had a beer garden. This is in qld and I've been to nsw fates without a hint of alcohol.

So I'm not sure where to stand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    Because some people aren't comfortable with alcohol. Even if its one glass. Thats all that matters
    If the hosts are uncomfortable with it, people should respect that. Absolutely.

If it's somebody elses home and they do wish to enjoy a drink, we should respect that, too.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (07-11-2011),earthfairy  (07-11-2011),FloatingFairy  (08-11-2011),Lemmings  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do they know you are thinking of buying a carton? If not, don't do it! Otherwise you are opening a huge can of worms.
    I don't mind if people have a few so long as nobody gets leg-less but I wouldn't provide it for a child's birthday.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (08-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Just looking for clarity- why is it inappropriate? Im talking someone having a single glass of wine or a beer?

I think it is inappropriate at a party for children where other parents have left ad you are responsible for the care of their children.

Like I said I don't think it is across the board inappropriate, just when it is a dedicated kid's party.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmm, i guess me and every other mum/dad at my kids' school are very relaxed. I dunno, most parties i go to there is beer and wine on offer for any adult that stays, as well as a few 'adult' nibbles such as cheese and crackers or a full on bbq. Usually some parents hang around and help out and the rest drop off their kids and go. Obviously if they were having more it would be different but no-one ever does anyway. Its never been an issue here. Like i said before tho, we never had alcohol at kids parties back home coz people would drink too much and it would be inappropriate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain, we have always had alcohol at our kids parties, whether or not they have been at home or in the park. We have never had any one get drunk or close too (it's only our closest family and friends) and it has never caused a problem.

I think it is very much each to your own and what you and your family are comfortable with.
    yes!! this ^ ...except a handful of people will get drunk but that's after the kids are in bed usually.

1st birthdays are notoriously for a big drinking event among our family and friends... i dont see the harm with having a few to celebrate the occasion.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    Personally I do think it's inappropriate at a children's party, most should be able to abstain while at a party for a 5yo it's about celebrating that little person why should anyone need a drink?..

I also have heavily adult dominated parties and request no drinking and I've been very peeved when people have ignored this and they haven't received invites the next year tbh. If it's requested you abstain for a day why is that so bad?
    I agree that it's inappropriate if you have been asked not to drink.

However, I don't think it is inappropriate otherwise, as some have suggested.

People have questioned the need, but I don't think that is relevant. Why not? I enjoy a glass of wine now and again, and don't view it as taboo or something to hide.

I absolutely celebrated DD turning 1 - it was a very special day. And I had some wine. I enjoy it, I wanted to, as I saw no reason not to.

Fair enough if someone else wants their event to be alcohol free, but that doesn't make my event inappropriate.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Bubhub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    I haven't always agreed with doing this, but have come to realise (have had it hammered home to me) that kids need to see alcohol being consumed sensibly, in moderation in a social setting.

I still teach my kids that it is technically a drug, a poison and not necessary to live life.

I still do not have alcohol in my fridge at home
    I don't think it is harmful for kids to see parents drinking at all. However, why do kids need to see their parents drinking to learn moderation. The reasoning that they need to see this is flawed. No studies show that children with parents who do not drink at all are more prone to binge drinking in their teens,on the other hand, they all say that kids to alcoholic parents are highly likely to do it, and kids with parents who drink at every social event (even in moderation, but clarifying that it is needed at every event no matter what the event it) are more likely to drink at every social event themselves, and likely to binge drink as teens, even if the parents drinking is in considerable moderation.

Look up the drinkwise campaign, this is what that is about, not just problem alcoholics, but the effect parents drinking has on a child, such as a few glasses of wine most nights or a few beers in front of them most nights, which many parents think is harmless.

"Research has also demonstrated that less problematic, but frequent parental drinking is associated with negative adolescent outcomes. For example, data from the Australian Mater University birth cohort study show that maternal drinking (more than one glass of alcohol a day), assessed when the adolescent offspring were age 14, was a strong predictor of alcohol use disorder in children at age 21, even after controlling for a range of biological, familial and interpersonal factors (Alati et al, 2005). While genetic and environmental components may contribute to such problems, social learning is also likely to be an important determining factor."

I still don't think that it is horrible to have a few drinks with kids around or at a kids birthday (when it is more family and a younger child), however I do think that it is incorrect to say that your moderation drinking is only having a positive effect and is therefore recommended?

ETA I have had alcohol at my kids 1st birthdays because it was adult oriented, but I don't want people to pretend it is a benefit to children, it is something fun for adults.
    Last edited by TinyLittleTootsies; 07-11-2011 at 14:22.