+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does a school have to take my child if we live in their catchment area?

I have my daughter enrolled for Pre Primary next year at the school that we are currently in the catchment area for.
    We are going to be moving in the next couple of weeks to a different area and I have tried to enrol her in the school in the catchment area for the new house. They have said that they are full and I have now had to go onto a waiting list.
    I am just wondering what will happen if the original school says that she is no longer allowed to start there as we will not living in the area any more.
    Does the school in the new area have to take her or could she potentially end up having no school to go to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From my understanding if you're in a specific school catchment area that school has to take you. Even if you only move to that area a week before the school year starts. I could be wrong but I've done a bit of research into this because we are moving to Perth from Adelaide next week & I've questioned lots of schools about the rules of catchments. I also don't think that the school you are enrolled in will release you because you move. They do have a certain amounts of places for kids outside the zone. I personally wouldn't notify them until you move & contact your local school again.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes they have to take you.

When we moved house and my brothers were enrolled in the local school (very popular, only have the room to pick up 2-3 out of areas/grade) they had to form a new Yr 3 class as there were too many students with the addition of one of the boys, because they HAVE to accept all students in their catchment area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sure once she was in Year 1 they would have to take her, but because it is only Pre Primary which isn't compulsory I don't know that they have to take her.
    Cheezelz what part of Perth are you moving to? Good luck with the move

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can confirm that yes, pre-primary is non-compulsory, therefore the school does not have to make a place for your child. For year 1, or once the child is 6 (whichever occurs sooner), they must make a place for them.

The school you are moving away from may also need to withdraw your place when you inform them of your move if they have in-area children on a waiting list.

Do get them on the waiting list though because places do open up throughout the year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    what school are you looking at. we are moving to ellenbrook in jan and my girls will be going to arbor grove primary( one in yr4 and one in pre-primary) we had a defence house reserved(then lost it)they offered us another house in averley and arbor grove said they couldn't take us still as we would be outside the school zone. lucky for us defence housing offered us another house 500m from arbor grove school. all the best with it.