+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Interested in your experiences with Amway

Hi
    I have an acquaintance trying to get me to sign up to Amway. As much as I like their products, I'm a single mum & their stuff doesn't really fit into my budget plus I feel that I'd alienate most of my friends by trying to sign them up as well. Their promise of $50k a year in royalties seems too good to be true.

Has anyone done ok out of it? I'm kinda thinking that the bottom of the pyramid is just too big these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Only a negative impact for Dh's aunt. It ruined her marriage and also her friendships with always trying to sell things. They became obsessed with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    my inlaws made money from amway back in the day, but I think the market is so saturated with this and other (shape that looks like a pyramid but don't ever use that term around amway people, lol) network marketing schemes that it's hard to rope new people in and therefore make money.

Eta, my inlaws subsequently became involved in other ones but didn't make any money. There was a vitamin one, a video sharing one, something else.
    Last edited by MsMummy; 06-11-2011 at 06:50.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To make money like that, you have to rope a whole lot of people in under you to become sellers, as well as selling the products yourself.

My advice.....don't do it. Your friends will hate you for it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Nmgb  (06-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah, I wouldn't do network marketing unless you are already a very confident competent sales person and you can network outside of your closest friends really effectively.

It's never ever as easy as it sounds.

But if your keen have a look around at what other network marketing businesses are around, I think amway scares people when they hear the word, your better off steering well clear.

But odds are, it'll cost you money, you'll make no money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started with Amway and the first thing the lady wanted me to do when we were going through all the details was to write down all of my direct family, other family and friends, phone numbers for her. They direct you to get your closest people roped in to make you money by them spending money. If you don't want to contact them then they do it for you. Roping your family in to spend money to make you money is a red flag. I then spoke to 2 well known entrepreneurs who were involved in Amway for 10 years and told me to run for my life, in the opposite direction. I kept looking at details and was told to pay $80 sign up fee and was told I WOULD make money even if I didn't sign anyone up because they would automatically jump start me by adding people in under me. I have now been a member for over 1 year and not made a cent. Over the year I have met lots of people through my own personal business that have been involved in Amway I could safely say 10+ people and I have not heard 1 positive experience so far. I always say each to their own though. There are success stories out there, but I'm yet to hear them from real life people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    God, I'd stay right away.

My parents got into it in the 80's. Dad is more easily led and started to get into it and mum being a more sceptical person, saw their cult like ways and steered well clear.

The only fight I remember my parents having was when dad was leaving for an Amway meeting and mum refusing to go and staying home. She didn't even want us kids around the meetings or people. They can be weird and full on.

A very close friend of mine has joined in the last couple of years and while I wish her the best, I've made it VERY clear that I want not part in it. She's also not made any money from it. In fact, I've never known anyone to make any serious money out of it and TBH, when most people hear the word Amway, they run a mile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Run for your life To buy from them, you have to buy in bulk and it's expensive. My mum got into it in the 90's and they are almost like a cult... they push you into pressuring friends and family, and like a lot of these type of businesses (party plans come to mind) you have to know oodles of people with serious cash to truely make any money. Like the party plans, the first month you make some money from people buying but the well very quickly dries up when people can't afford anymore.

and snap ZK about them being like a cult lol

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Stay away!!!

My step-mum is right into it and she is *obsessed*. It has taken over her life, she lives and breathes amway in an attempt to make a 'residual income' (she constantly talks about how one day she will have this 'residual income' and not have to work at all, and be able to spend all day with her kids...).

She has been doing it hardcore for about 4 years now and she still places as much energy into it as she did from the start, in an attempt to make it to the top (ALL her energy!).

She has spent a lot of time away from her children at meetings and networking, and I truly just want to tell her that her kids will be adults once/if she makes it! It seems like she's already missed so much. They were aged 8 and 11 when she started, now they are 12 and 15, and they rarely see their Mum

When we stay at Dad's we never see her because she's always out doing amway things, and she comes home very late each night. When she did come home, she tried to sell it to us. In fact, every time we see her she tries - its incredibly annoying.

Her relationship with my Dad is pretty much ruined because of it He has commented about it a lot and he seems really unhappy.

I would personally stay away.

Sent from my iPhone while breast feeding

Thanks
    Reviews
    This will make you laugh - someone in dh's family signed us up as a wedding present!! Can you believe it??? After we had said NO!! Multiple times. We haven't done a thing and we dont intend to. Just another scam.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kriista For This Useful Post:

CakeyLoaf  (07-11-2011),elleandsam  (02-01-2012),Luna Lovegood  (06-11-2011),Witwicky  (06-11-2011)