User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can I replace the elastic around my fitted sheet? How?

hi there. I have 2 beautiful sheet sets that I love. They are so soft and silky. But the elastic around the bottom of both the fitted sheets have lost their elasticity. The way the sheet sets are the elastic is actually sewn onto the bottom of the fabric - not like in a separate pocket or hem.

So can I replace the elastic? Is it as simple as unpicking the current elastic and then sewing new stuff on?
    Both are queen sized sheets so any idea how much elastic I would need?

The sheets were originally $250 each set, so I would rather fix than replace?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks
    Me (30) + Her (36) 2x fur babies
    IUDI #1: 10/2011 - BFP at 12dpiudi, BFN at 16dpiudi IUDI #2: 11/2011 BFP at 12dpiudi, BFN at 15dpiudi
    IUDI #3: 12/2011 BFN.
    ICSI #1: 2/2012 BFN, ICSI #2 3/2012 ???

Bub Hub Ambassador for Same Sex Parents, Non-IVF Fertility Assistance, and for Macarthur Region of NSW

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a fitted sheet where the elastic went and still use it, just have to tuck it under the mattress again when I make the bed. If the sheet moves, I'd try thick elastic strips just on the corners and see if that works.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tootiredtosleep For This Useful Post:

catemer  (05-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. It sounds like they have used fold over elastic, and yep you could just unpick and replace. I buy fold over elastic (or FOE) to make nappies from online places, but I think I have seen it in fabric shops just labelled sheet elastic.
    For the sewing, check out some online tutorials for sewing FOE, should be easy, use a little stretch on the straight bits when sewing and more on the corner bits. Hope this makes sense!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KAnn For This Useful Post:

catemer  (05-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tootiredtosleep View Post
    I have a fitted sheet where the elastic went and still use it, just have to tuck it under the mattress again when I make the bed. If the sheet moves, I'd try thick elastic strips just on the corners and see if that works.
    I have been trying the just tuck it under theory, but DP wriggles around so much she ends up tangled in the sheet!
    Me (30) + Her (36) 2x fur babies
    IUDI #1: 10/2011 - BFP at 12dpiudi, BFN at 16dpiudi IUDI #2: 11/2011 BFP at 12dpiudi, BFN at 15dpiudi
    IUDI #3: 12/2011 BFN.
    ICSI #1: 2/2012 BFN, ICSI #2 3/2012 ???

Bub Hub Ambassador for Same Sex Parents, Non-IVF Fertility Assistance, and for Macarthur Region of NSW

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, yes, you can buy thin elastic on a roll that you sew around the hem of the sheet to replace the elastic, but otherwise buy wider elastic (say about 2cm wide) in rolls and sew it from one side to the other in 2 or 3 places. Like a mattress protector. That means you don't need to unpick the existing elastic and just need to sew (well) the elastic strips to each side of the sheet. It will be tricky to slide the elastic under your mattress, so probably sew it close-ish (say 30 - 50cm) from each end of the bed, so you can sort of slip it under at the end. I have no idea if I'm making sense - I hope I am!
    Last edited by mim1; 05-11-2011 at 11:47.

~* ME + DH *~

~* DS - 7 DD - 2.5 *~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

catemer  (05-11-2011)