+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i was cut and tore, and my cut healed better, but i think it was the position more than the procedure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I may be going against the grain... but I had an episiotomy with my first and still had a little tearing before they did it.

With my second they let me go.... I WISH I had an epi cos the tear was horrendous... they had to keep me in cos I was bleeding so badly and the doc had a lot of trouble stitching me up as it was so jaggered and all over the place.

The doc said they should have given me an epi... The pain from the tearing the second time was soooooo bad... Weeks after having bub it still hurt. I gave birth naturally with no pain relief at all. Not even gas. But the pain from my tearing was so much worse

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is no right answer. It depends on you, your anatomy, the presentation of your baby, how quickly the birth needs to happen, if the baby has its arm presenting before the head, which way it looks like you will tear.

If my baby was presenting with it's hand appearing first, I had a small perinium with scar tissue and it was anticipated I could tear into my anus, I will take an episiotomy any day. I wouldn't want to miss the first few hours of my babies life in theatre getting a repair, not to mention the risk to my pelvic floor and continence.

If it is anticipated I would have a small tear, normal baby presentation etc. etc. I will tear thankyou.

This I think is a case where you really want to trust your care provider and their judgement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    with dd1 there was no choice, she wasn't budging, her head was right there and no amount of pushing was getting her out.. and bub has to come out otherwise its dangerous where she was. i had absolutely no issues with healing or anything.

dd2 i tore, they felt it would heal better without stitches.. hmm not so! it closed up most the way but the last part healed open, it took AGES to heal, became infected and needed to re heal, drove me mad..

dd3 & ds i mainly had internal grazing that healed well.

for me personally i'd prefer to be cut.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't compare both, but I had an episiotomy with ds. It looked like I was going to tear sideways, I'd been pushing for 2 hours and just couldn't get him out... He'd been there for too long. Once cut I managed to get him out without assistance. For me, the recovery was horrible (he's afew days off 7 months old and I still hurt sometimes) but the 'what if' was worse.

He was already blue & not breathing when he came out (thankfully he is okay now) but he was a big boy and even with epi got stuck at head, shoulders & tummy.

While i would have preferred a tear it just didn't turn out that way.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by confusd View Post
    Congratulations sunnymummy!

By panting, you just mean as in panting to breath instead of pushing?
    Yes. Just little quick breaths instead of long slow ones I was doing earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I want to try and "breath" baby out instead of pushing. I think this will be the hardest part for me because the urge to push with DD was SO over powering.
    I have positions i want to try to birth in that minimise pressure on your perineum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tearing hurts a he'll of slot more than being cut! But apparently it's easier for them to let you tear ( so I've heard and experienced) ;-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had bad tearing with Ds and am pleased to say that with my 4 month old DD I had no tearing at all I birthed her in water on my knees and actually stopped pushing when I could feel her head descending and it felt to me like gravity was just doing its job IYKWIM. It didn't even sting. Wishing you all the best for your delivery

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    I would not consent to an episiotomy. They can cut you when you may not have been going to tear at all. They can cut you deeper than what you may have cut. They can cut you, which weakens the area and you can tear further when you may not have torn as much or at all.

There are things that you can do to reduce or prevent tearing, cloths on the perenium, no coached pushing, taking it slowly to allow the tissues to stretch.

A tear can also repair itself and not require stitching. Resting and keeping your legs close together can allow the tissues to come back without the need for stitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    It is better to tear. It will follow the path of least resistance and they tend to avoid muscle unless its a bad one. An episiotomy will cut through muscle where if left to tear may not have been affected.

Think of it this way. If you get a piece of paper and hold it up, pull the corners apart, its hard to tear. But if you get scissors and then cut a small slit, then pull the corners apart it will tear much much easier. Same principle applies. If you get an episiotomy it may start off a tear. Its harder to stitch together as the line is jagged, thats why Drs prefer to do epis, but any good dr should be able to stitch it.
    What they said ^^