+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is it better to tear again or have an episiotomy?

With my DD i had a bad tear. I plan to have this baby naturally. And i just want to know if anyone knows if its better to get cut or just let it tear itself.

From what ive read both things are better so far. Tearing is better because if your cut you can tear further from where they cut where as the tear wouldnt be as big.
    And being cut is better because its "easier" (not sure how) and its "neater" to sew and will leave behind less scar tissue.......

So any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure sorry but I have heard that just because you have previously torn it doesn't mean you are more likely to again.

I had an epi with DD and it was not a problem, was given a local before they did it, it didn't tear and I had minimal pain afterwards. I have never torn though so nothing to compare it to.

Sent from my Desire HD using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would not consent to an episiotomy. They can cut you when you may not have been going to tear at all. They can cut you deeper than what you may have cut. They can cut you, which weakens the area and you can tear further when you may not have torn as much or at all.

There are things that you can do to reduce or prevent tearing, cloths on the perenium, no coached pushing, taking it slowly to allow the tissues to stretch.

A tear can also repair itself and not require stitching. Resting and keeping your legs close together can allow the tissues to come back without the need for stitches.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (10-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would rather leave my body alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have looked into things to prevent tearing. I have a list of things to try/do while in labour. I have a birth plan written up - i was just wondering about peoples experiences.

My tear wouldnt of repaired itself. I had a bad 3rd degree tear and ended up in surgery to get it repaired. But it has healed well and i have no side affects/ issues from it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is better to tear. It will follow the path of least resistance and they tend to avoid muscle unless its a bad one. An episiotomy will cut through muscle where if left to tear may not have been affected.

Think of it this way. If you get a piece of paper and hold it up, pull the corners apart, its hard to tear. But if you get scissors and then cut a small slit, then pull the corners apart it will tear much much easier. Same principle applies. If you get an episiotomy it may start off a tear. Its harder to stitch together as the line is jagged, thats why Drs prefer to do epis, but any good dr should be able to stitch it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (10-12-2011),RobinSparkles  (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by my ob that a small tear is better than a small cut but a large cut is better than a large tear..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kristybabe View Post
    I was told by my ob that a small tear is better than a small cut but a large cut is better than a large tear..
    Unless like me the Large cut started a Large tear. Id rather tear no matter what.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with PPs about avoiding the episiotomy altogether if you can.

In terms of tearing this is my experience.

I tore with DS1 and I believe it was due to having an epidural and being coached to push when I couldn't feel the contractions. I had a lot of stitches and a painful recovery and it took ages before I could DTD comfortably. I would say I have quite a lot of scar tissue as a result.

I gave birth the DS2 yesterday. He is bigger than DS1 and has a bigger head but I had no tearing at all.
    I didn't have any pain relief so I was more 'with it' and able to focus better.I listened to the midwife and didn't push until the contractions came. I panted so that he came out slowly and gently.

Good luck
    Last edited by sunnymummy; 04-11-2011 at 20:57. Reason: typo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnymummy For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations sunnymummy!

By panting, you just mean as in panting to breath instead of pushing?