+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Small baby

Hi, I am nearly 35 weeks, and baby is measuring small. I have had 2 growth scans and baby went from 5th to 8th percentile and weighs approx 4lbs 8oz. I'm only 5'4 and was only 5lbs 13oz when born and hubby was about 7lbs and is 5'7. I now have to have a CTG and a more detailed scan next week. Anyone else experienced this? They have said not to worry because baby is still moving heaps and the blood flow and fluid levels are all good. Just not sure what or if there is anything I can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey Melissa,

As hard as it is, just try and relax as the medics seem to be really happy with how bub is going.

My DS was on the 3rd percentile at birth, and is now a little porker!

All the best with the next few weeks, and I hope the next scan goes well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nothing for you to do except to rest as much as you can this last month. As long as 'measuring small' is the only issue then try not to worry. Remember that estimating weight from a scan can be very inaccurate so the reported change in percentiles doesn't necessarily tell you anything. Further scans for monitoring won't hurt but some babies are just small because they are small and nothing at all is wrong. My 2 were 6pd4oz at 11 days overdue and 6pd2oz on due date and my sister just had a little girl 5pd15oz. We were small babies also, it's just in our genes I guess. With my DD they mentioned some concern that her femur was measuring slightly short compared to the other measurements but I wasn't really worried about that - if you look at DH's build and my build it sounded just about right. No chance of us producing a long legged supermodel!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't be too worried. There are small babies and big babies and many in between. Most of it is genetic, but sometimes a small or big baby is a sign of something else and that's what they are worried about. For me, genetically it appears I make big babies - my dd was on the 97th percentile at birth (nearly 10 pounds). BUT, my dh & I are both tall and we were both big babies at birth - my dh was 6+ pounds and was thought to be 6 weeks early! You & your dh are both short, so I would expect you to have a little bub. All the best, and try not to worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Given you and hubby are petite people I wouldn't worry too much

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't be too worried. My first was the same size as you. I am a small person, and dh is a very thin build (61kg at 5'11'') despite eating like a horse and having no medical issues. It's just the way we are.

With my second, I didn't want to be hassled about feeding extra, perhaps offering top-ups etc. So I tried to make my baby bigger. I couldn't eat extra, I didn't have a lot of space, it would make me feel sick, so I tried to eat more calories. For me, that meant a large Macca's fries every day washed down with a lemonade, two things I never eat. High fat and high sugar. I did that for approximately the last 6 weeks, when babies are bulking up. blergh. My baby was born a week late weighing 7lb10oz, and I didn't gain any extra.

Probably not the best medical advice, but it's what I did.
    Last edited by Opinionated; 05-11-2011 at 06:35.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

ellasmummy2009  (05-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MelissaD,
    Im am in exactley the same position as you are. Our due dates are almost identical. I too have been told by baby is small (second Bub).
    Im 35 weeks measuring 31 weeks and im going out of m freaking mind. Ive also had 2 growth U/S and im having twice weekly CTG monitoring.
    I too am a smallish person (5'5" and hubby isnt exactly a giant either)
    My first bub (girl) was 6p 7oz at 41w+3 days, sonot exactly a big bub either but had no mention of any problems.
    My scans show excellent fluid levels, blood flow etc so I just dont know whats going on.
    I dont really know what to say to you because im lookig for some reasurance myself. All I can say is as long as bub is still growing, all will be ok - thats what the midwives keep telling me.

Good Luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both of my bubs were 5 pounders. Unlike you however my scans showed blood flow problems through the placenta and my fluid levels were very low with both bubs so I had DD at 36 weeks and DS at 37 weeks due to interuterine growth restriction.

Given that your scans have both been really good it sounds like you are just having a small bub and I would think its more than likely the doc will moniter you for the rest of your pregnancy and let nature takes its course and bub come out when he/she is ready. I would suggest you go and buy some premmie clothes 5 zero's at least and the target brand newborn nappies are awesome for little bubs as they are teeny tiny! You know what they say nice things come in small packages

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, it's good to hear other people's stories. I have now started my maternity leave and have my baby shower tomorrow so this will keep my mind off thing until Monday for the CTG.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to give a quick
    Update, I had all the extra monitoring And bubby had stop growing at 39 weeks so they started to induce me, I had a beautiful petite little girl on the 7th Dec weighing 5-13oz 45cm. Thanks everyone x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MelissaD For This Useful Post:

kalgirl  (22-12-2011)