+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't your lease renewal need to be given 60 days before the end of lease. We've been in this place for 5 years and had six or more pm . Mostly hopeless. Got a excess water bill $87 last one $15 rang to double check just in case as the usage was the same. Thought maybe the cost of water had increased. Nope it's wrong. Should've been $18.
    Our owner is pretty good . Paid to get the fridge space made bigger and put in new wardrobes .
    I requested a new kitchen. Said I would track down a second hand kitchen. Get quotes etc but he said no which is fine. But then spent $4k on solar power that saves less then $1 a day ! Give me the kitchen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So... you get your last 6 months rent back because they haven't done the maintenance? Did I get that right??
    May I ask what maintenance needed to be done?
    The tribunal made the order of six months and that covered the expenditure we made on the property and the agent's failure to remedy repairs in good time. There are actually a number of repairs that need doing - some were from before we moved in - but the main ones were the toilet cistern required replacing, electrical work needed doing, the house required pest control, the security door on the front door required replacing as did some of the window screens and the locking mechanism on the gate. As some of the repairs were deemed a security risk, the tribunal found that they were pertinent repairs and found the agent was negligent in his duty.

That's AWESOME!! does this mean you basically get to live there for the next 6 months for free??
    I wish! No. It means we've had the $$$ we spent compensated as well as time we spent running around when the agent should have been.

and your PM seems to be leader of the pack!
    Leader of the Slack Pack you mean. I think he thinks he's Danny Zucco (from Grease). He dresses like him, walks like him and puts on the slick attitude. Ugh. My DH didn't like him as soon as he laid eyes on him but what can you do when you're renting. You basically have your cap in your hand, don't you.
    And move to toowoomba, not far from bris, but a nice place to live
    I think we're getting out of Queensland actually.
    You don't get given notice, your notice is the end of your contract ending, which you knew the date of when you signed and moved in a year ago. They only send out a renewal form if the owner wants to renew, otherwise it is expected that it is the end of your contract and you have made arrangments to move out.
    Nah, a lease ends when written notice is given as a fixed lease converts to a periodic lease when the former ends. So if I just moved out on the last day I'd be in breach of contract. So yeah, as another poster rightly stated, we're supposed to be given 60 days and in the past that's what has happened: a lease has been put in the mail with a "please sign by x date" and we've just sent it back.

Am I relieved? Yes and no. I can see the agent creating issues with the final inspection and bond. And the adrenalin spent this week running around and then attending the hearing has left me a little flat but wide awake. I must say this episode has really put the wind up me in terms of just knuckling down and doing all that we can to raise enough money to get out of the renting cycle. I don't know how we're quite going to do it but it's made me sit up and look at what action needs to be done in order to realise that dream.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to InBetween For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (05-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Puffin View Post
    I cant see where you are from? Qld?

I can tell you for a FACT, as the owner of a rental property myself, I have the right to raise rent as I see fit and no one can make me back down. Simple. That's where the massive housing crisis has come from in our town, peoples rents are getting raised at $100+ each time they renew.
    I would love to be your tenant so i can show you that you do have your FACTS wrong.........
    If the tenants take it to the RTA/tribunal then yes the property owners do have to show reason and justify the increase. More tenants need to stand up for them self's, then landlords might not feel like they can just walk all over their tenants. (Yes I know some tenants walk all over landlords but that's not what this post is about)

This is about landlord trying to put the rent up during a lease http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/...ibunal-and-wi/
    Last edited by *Cj*; 05-11-2011 at 21:15.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to *Cj* For This Useful Post:

InBetween  (06-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Cj* View Post
    I would love to be your tenant so i can show you that you do have your FACTS wrong.........
    If the tenants take it to the RTA/tribunal then yes the property owners do have to show reason and justify the increase. More tenants need to stand up for them self's, then landlords might not feel like they can just walk all over their tenants. (Yes I know some tenants walk all over landlords but that's not what this post is about)

This is about landlord trying to put the rent up during a lease http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/...ibunal-and-wi/
    We're not talking about DURING a lease though

That's why I said, when they go to RENEW... As a renewal is a new contract, any conditions can be included or added, as well as a rent raise.

This message proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device. Beep beep.
    Last edited by Atlantic Puffin; 05-11-2011 at 21:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's true AP, but if the rent is viewed as excessive by the tenants, they can still go to the tribunal during to get it reviewed by an impartial person. Otherwise a LL could raise it significantly without any recourse for the Tenant. This can happen at any time during the lease or at renewal time.

Also, in WA at least, rent has to be in line with the market. A LL can't charge whatever they want to cover all their costs. If their monthly costs are $800 but houses only rent for $300, they can't charge $800 and can't increase it willy-nilly to cover interest rate rises etc.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

delirium  (05-11-2011),InBetween  (06-11-2011),Luna Lovegood  (05-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It's sad that as a tenant anything and everything needs to go thru the tribunal, yet a LL can end a lease, no reason, and give 60 days notice. A tenant is 2 weeks behind in their rent, automatic eviction. They seem to put the rent up whenever and how ever much they feel like it. If a LL won't fix anything, I can't just turn around and say well since you're breaching your end of the tenacy agreement I'm breaching my end and not paying rent... bc you guessed it, the tenant gets evicted. So here I am, paying almost a grand a month in rent, while the LL pockets it yet breaches his end... and if you do take them to the tribunal, many give you a 60 day notice out of spite. I knew someone that went to the tribunal, won then got the 60 dayer with no reason except they had exercised their tenancy rights.

It's all so one sided
    Last edited by delirium; 05-11-2011 at 21:43.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Californication  (05-11-2011),InBetween  (06-11-2011),LoveLivesHere  (05-11-2011),Luna Lovegood  (05-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As a pp said they have to charge market rent, most rents ( in Sydney anyway) are still rising , we on average review our rents yearly and up them from $5-20 depending on the property and if the landlord wants an increase, some do say no! ( a rent increase of over $20 is considered high and unless very undervalued could easily be disputed at tenancy tribunal but in my experience they have never declined anything under $20 per week)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Californication  (05-11-2011),Luna Lovegood  (05-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Puffin View Post
    We're not talking about DURING a lease though

That's why I said, when they go to RENEW... As a renewal is a new contract, any conditions can be included or added, as well as a rent raise.

This message proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device. Beep beep.
    Yes I know your not talking about DURING a lease. The tenants can take it to the RTA/tribunal during or even after they sign a new contract (with in 30 days) if your increasing/increased the rent. Then you have to show reason and justify the increase. More tenants need to stand up for them self's.
    Last edited by *Cj*; 05-11-2011 at 22:03.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Cj* For This Useful Post:

InBetween  (06-11-2011),Luna Lovegood  (05-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When we rented our landlord tried to increase the rent at renewal from $210 to $250 per week, we couldn't move at the time so we took them to the tribunal and they said no to the increase, the landlord was allowed to go to $230 per week based on the average rental price for the area.

So glad we are buying now, don't have to deal with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by becandabub View Post
    Actually this is wrong - this isn't a gym membership or something else non-essential - it's someone's home. It is not assumed, by law or otherwise, that when a lease expires you'll be vacating on that date, see ya later. I can't imagine the hoo ha landlords would cause if everyone simply left without a word on the day their lease expired - this is why there are suitable notice periods in place from both parties, so that there aren't people turfed out onto the street with 1 days notice and nowhere else to go. Every lease I've had that has expired has either been renewed or has gone onto a rolling agreement. When we were asked to vacate our previous property we were given 60 days to do so - which was the minimum legal notice period.
    Good to know that this seems to be the case, like I said in my post it didn't seem fair. I will have to look into it further before I take your word for it, because I was just repeating what my agent said to me when I called at the start of this year 2 weeks before the end of my lease. They said it was expected that we would be out by the end of the lease if we hadn't signed the new contract, as it is deemed the end of out lease, and she was sorry she hadn't sent the contract out yet, could I come and sign in the office. So maybe she was lying to cover her mistake we are still at the same place in any case so I don't know. She also said it was written in our lease agreement but I haven't checked. Maybe I should read it

Inbetween on your success. Good to have a plan to get out of there now though. I wonder if the owner will fire the agent if the owner was telling the truth about not knowing why he is there? Will be interesting...