+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Forgot to add $2800 a year rates

This message proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device. Beep beep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Puffin View Post

I cant see where you are from? Qld?

I can tell you for a FACT, as the owner of a rental property myself, I have the right to raise rent as I see fit and no one can make me back down. Simple. That's where the massive housing crisis has come from in our town, peoples rents are getting raised at $100+ each time they renew.

For arguments sake, to justify a rent raise.... How much would you estimate the house to be worth? Let's say $300,000. (ours is $330,000) and our repayments are $2200 a month. So let's say $2,000 a month give or take that the owner has to pay in mortgage.
    They could EASILY argue to put the rent up to $500 per week to cover their payments. Remember this doesn't include rates, maintenance, rental agent fees, water, repairs.......
    Whether the increase is just or not, they were still required to give 8 weeks written notice for the increase to be valid. Also if the increase is excessive you can be taken to fair trading who can make you back down...

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/a/1997-84/default.asp
    http://www.tenantsact.org.au/rentingAdvice/tenancy-factsheets/Rent-Increases-and-Reductions
    http://tuq.org.au/wp/wp-content/uplo...v-09_NEWSD.pdf

From what I am reading they aren't evicting you, they just aren't renewing your lease..... There is a massive difference, and they need no reason to no renew. Eviction requires an amount of breaches by the tenant to justify it.

And yes, in qld (again, not sure where you are from) you only need 14 days notice - again.. We had massive troubles with past tenants and major damages, and legally were told we only had to give 14 days, we however did the right thing and gave 2 months to say we weren't renewing, and they stayed after their lease, were THEN issued an eviction notice, and eventually left 2 months later all while not paying rent.
    In QLD, 2 months notice is required...

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/giving_the_correct_notice.cfm

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Benji  (03-11-2011),InBetween  (03-11-2011),IndigoJ  (29-01-2013),ToonZie  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe that info is for eviction, not about non-renewal of a contract.

Again, they do need to give you notice but not if your contract is ENDING, and you are re-signing a whole new rental contract. I believe the above is like if you have a 12 month lease, and 5 months into your lease they want to increase rent.

This message proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device. Beep beep.
    If you go back and read it is says:

two (2) months or the end of the term (whichever is later) without grounds under a fixed term agreement.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

InBetween  (03-11-2011),ToonZie  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've had a similar issue this year.
    Our second lease expired in April this year and they didn't want to renew but have just kept us on a "rolling" lease. There has been no explanation as to why, but yeah it's a bit nervewracking not being in a contract and knowing we could really go at any time..
    They also increased the rent recently, and like you have said, there are outstanding repairs. We're in NSW so different rules, but I've been to fair trading about this and basically if the repairs arent deemed "urgent" (ie no water, electricity, no cooking facilities, major leak, or a safety issue), there's no specific timeframe in which they have to work.
    You're obviously extremely worried about this. Perhaps get your property manager to clarify whether you're expected to move out, or just continue on a "rolling" lease..
    But you need to decide what's more important right now - paying the extra $25 that they've suggested to have the security of a lease, or keeping your rent as it is with the possibility of having to leave.
    It's a very annoying situation, hope it gets sorted for you soon.

BTW - the property managers just work under instruction from the owners.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to danielle13 For This Useful Post:

InBetween  (03-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rabbity - just so you know.... What is the law doesn't always mean its followed or enforced

Google "Gladstone rental crisis" ... People are ending up HOMELESS and camping at the show grounds because of crazy rent prices here at the moment, and its fair trading that REFUSE to do anything. This is well known and documented.

It might be in the legislation, but it is unfortunately rarely enforced.

By the way, we are nice land lords. Our rent is only $350 a week. And we are struggling to make payments and we don't increase the rent. Our PM advised us to put it up to AT LEAST $550.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In between: I have given you the reality of what can and does happen... So I'm going to bow out of this thread now....

I hope it works out for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A rental increase of $25 is quite normal , unless you can prove it is very over valued ( very hard in this market)in NSW it's 60 days notice , plus maybe your landlord is having money trouble? He may have to sell and is better not having a fixed lease? Other pp,s are right we have to go on landlords instructions , my advice is to be nice to the agent ( i know, hard to do if he is not that good, until at least you get info out of him!) if he reports back to the landlord that you are being difficult that may work against you ( I'm not saying that's fair but if he is having money trouble a disgruntled tenant is not what he would want!) ask him what the landlord is going to do with home , sell it, re rent it , they don't have to tell you but ask anyway!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rabbity - just so you know.... What is the law doesn't always mean its followed or enforced

Google "Gladstone rental crisis" ... People are ending up HOMELESS and camping at the show grounds because of crazy rent prices here at the moment, and its fair trading that REFUSE to do anything. This is well known and documented.

It might be in the legislation, but it is unfortunately rarely enforced.

By the way, we are nice land lords. Our rent is only $350 a week. And we are struggling to make payments and we don't increase the rent. Our PM advised us to put it up to AT LEAST $550.

Just because some people choose not to follow the rules why should the tenants suffer? The OP is well within her rights to sook, vent, complain and take them to the tribunal.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (05-11-2011),InBetween  (03-11-2011),ToonZie  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask, when they say the lease isn't being renewed are they really just trying to say you are going on month to month rather than another fixed term 1 yr lease or are they truly saying you have to be out in 7 days? Property Managers can be a bit vague with their wording so I am hoping for your sake it is simply that they will put you month to month rather than another fixed term.

In Vic as a landlord you can increase the rent without any justification but you have to give 60 days notice so that the tenants can either agree or give their notice to vacate should they not wish to continue the tenancy under the higher rent.

Good luck, we are renting for the first time in 7 years so I feel your pain, some of the maintenance issues we have outstanding are a joke!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbity Babbity View Post
    Just because some people choose not to follow the rules why should the tenants suffer? The OP is well within her rights to sook, vent, complain and take them to the tribunal.
    totally agree, I'm finding it quite bizarre that the OP is receiving such responses when she is facing having to move home and has maintenance that needs doing.

To me, it sounds like she has a bad landlord. If tenants pay their rent and look after the place, they have every right to live in a home that is properly maintaned by the owner.

ETA: good point I can dream - OP, maybe check that it's not simply that you're moving onto a periodic lease.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (05-11-2011)