+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default *Spin Off* Do you practice a religion?

Bubbygirls thread got me thinking ... Do you practice a religion?

When I say 'practice', I mean actively participate in worship, church (if applicable), traditions etc.

I am not religious, however I do like the idea of religion. I like that it can be something quite powerful which pulls people together. I don't like that it can sometimes be the catalyst for discrimination and hate crimes, particularly after September 11 Aside from that I am very uneducated on the topic.

I have actually never known anybody who is actively religious, so I am really very intrigued. I know people who classify themselves as 'Christian' or 'Morman' or 'Jewish', but I have never met anyone who regularly goes to church iykwim?

Or maybe I have and they just don't mention it?

So, are you actively involved in a religion? Which religion is it? What do you believe? What is the best thing about it for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. I'm athiest.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

share a book  (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have started going to church regularly this year. I had been looking for the confidence to go for about 2 years prior but finally got the courage to go this year. I have a bible and have been actively reading it for 3 years now. I go to an anglican church.

I have found balance in my life and don't feel like I am in free fall anymore iykwim. There are guidelines set out for me to live my life by and I know that if something bad happens, I will get to the other side of it. My DH isn't 100% on board but he has come along a few times to support me, which is all that matters.

Edit: most people in my life don't know that I go to church. I think it is something for me. But if someone was interested I would be happy to reveal all.
    Last edited by jadee22; 02-11-2011 at 13:45.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jadee22 For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I dont participate. I think I went to sunday school for a bit even though noone went to church - I think it was more for a childfree Sunday morning!

My DH was raised in a stritch pentacostal church; speaking in tongues, being prayed over, no tv/radio, church on a Wednesday, Sun morning and Sun night. It was pretty full on.

He, his mother, brother and sister no longer go to church but his uncles, aunties, cousins and grandparents do. One uncle is a minister and they run their own church/school/compound. The others attend a different church and are just members IYKWIM.

All are involved in mission work and mostly do alot of good for the world. The ones who have their own church are very sheltered and judgemental. The rest of them are decent kind ppl who help the world as much as they can.

My experience with them has been mixed and I have learnt that you gets all kind of ppl in church just like you do outside of church.

I belief in God but have never felt close to God durign any service/worship I have been too at their churches. Mostly I feel sick.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't actively participate, I'm Jewish by birth , spent 12 years in a christian school but am not a fan of organized religion , spent my 20,s "searching" for a religion I could believe in, and then realized religion is personal, I believe in my god, a nice one with no rules and regulations except treat everyone with respect regardless of religion/sexual orientation/race and if you do good things in this life you will have a good life next time! I do love and respect the Jewish traditions and history, not a fan of the hypocrisy of Christianity and love the art and history of Islam , love reading about the principles if buddhism

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (21-11-2011),share a book  (04-11-2011)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i love the idea of practicing a religion but try as i might, i do not believe in any God/s. MIL's church is just lovely, such a wonderful community who all look out for each other. They do heaps of work in the broader community too. I just love the idea of a group of people dedicated to coming together to share and spread their love when DS is a little older i'd like him to go occasionally with MIL. I'd like for him to experience it so he can make his own mind up on religion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a christian but I haven't been to church regulary since being with DP. He is a catholic but hasn't been actively involved in his church since he was a child.

I would go to church every week if I could. DP has gone with me a few times, but he works from home and usually likes to work on Sunday nights so we don't go .

Once our bubba is born I would love to go back to church on a regular basis. It's a wonderful feeling being apart of something like that, and it's like one big family.

My faith has got me through so much and I really do believe in prayer. I prayed so hard that I would conceive and it happened the first time we tried.

I've felt even more compelled to go back to church since I've been pregnant because pregnancy is such an amazing miracle.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveyDovey For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (21-11-2011),share a book  (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Life is my religion. I practice daily by waking up with a smile on my face and a positive outlook, no matter how ****ty I expect the day to be

This message proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device. Beep beep.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Atlantic Puffin For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (21-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope. Only time I go to Church is for weddings, funerals or christenings.

I have friends of various religions, and I did used to go to Sunday School and Church when I was a teenager, but it's been a long, long time since I have been to a religious service.

I just try to "do unto others" and be a good person.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (21-11-2011)

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm Carholic but I don't go to church regularly. Hubby refuses to go and I shudder at the thought of taking my two boys on their own.