+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The flash drive MIGHT come back to you full of photos - did you ask what it will be used for?? we ask all out students to bring in a re writeable cd with them at the start of their school year - we then send it home at the end of the year full of pictures, that are put to music, the parents LOVE it ..

OR .. with ACARA coming in (national curriculum) the stuff being taught to the kids is now MASSIVELY different to what we were taught - the pressure is on .. to teach them more .. earlier - the flash drive might be so that they can complete some of their work on the computer, and save it on their own flash drive??

school isn't cheap - but if you want to whinge about fees, compare the prices of state to private, some of them are THOUSANDS of dollars per term. The fact is that education ISN"T free anymore - the schools simply dont get the funds from the govt that they need to run effectively.

My son's school is in a lower socio economic area, so the fees are only $80 per year (which equates to $2 per school week .. and yet parents at our school whinge .. $2??? are you SERIOUS?? ) and you can pay that off over the year. .. we are also asked to supply some basic things for the classroom (tissues/ ream of paper, etc) which I'm happy to do.

I know as a teacher - how far the classroom budget (which is almost laughable) goes ... and I know that most good teachers blow a decent cut of their own WAGE to pay for extra stuff because they want their classroom to run well, and they want the kids the have the best they can provide .. so as a parent I figure the least I can do is chip in a bit when I can ..

x
    Jen

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (13-01-2012),Mrs Molly Coddle  (14-01-2012),share a book  (13-01-2012),Yep  (17-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't like the idea of children missing out, but I don't like the idea of MY children missing out either. And if I had to pick one, Id pick mine in a heartbeat.

DDs (Yr6) booklist this year is about $80 for her stationery list. They are given the option to pay the school or buy it yourself, DD always DIYs .. she is a bit of a stationery hoarder though, and she looks after it so well that all she wants this year in a new pencil case from Smiggle. The school supplies the books.

DSs (Yr7) stung me $730.. ouch!

I don't mind though... I'm more than happy to pay for education!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can claim back up to 50% of education expenses?
    Includes USB sticks, Stationary, Laptops, books, uniforms etc

http://www.educationtaxrefund.gov.au/
    Yup, Im keeping receipts for eeeeeeeeeeeeeverything. Had to buy DS a faction shirt last year in October and the lady was calling after me "Dont forget your receipt! You can claim it on tax!!" Hahaha

Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Because it's not everyone else's responsibility! And for people struggling to do the right thing and send their kids with all the supplies needed it can be frustrating that others just want to free load off them... Yeah it sucks that other kids miss out but as long as the "share systems" are in place why would the people getting a free ride bother?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nmgb For This Useful Post:

Brunfelsia Dreaming  (13-01-2012),jennibear  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always keep receipts! And claim on tax for everything I buy.

I work in a private school and still have kids who start the school year with no books etc. I always (out of my own pocket) buy spare exercise books, pencils (60 pencils in a year is not excessive the way kids forever sharpen or lose them!) etc.
    Whoever said education is underfunded I totally agree. And I'm in the private system not public. Both systems have their faults!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmgb View Post
    Because it's not everyone else's responsibility! And for people struggling to do the right thing and send their kids with all the supplies needed it can be frustrating that others just want to free load off them... Yeah it sucks that other kids miss out but as long as the "share systems" are in place why would the people getting a free ride bother?
    Its frustrating but its worth it to give everyone an opportunity for education. If these kids can't participate in school properly they will never get an education, possibly better the position they've come from and become contributing taxpayers or educated parents and help break the cycle.

Plus kids that can't get involved in school through lack of resources play up and distract the other kids (ie yours and mine).

Its in everyone's interests to get all the kids involved and learning. its not perfect by any means, but other than govt stepping up and increasing education funding and management, there aren't many other viable options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    wow..

so no one wants to share pencils.
    DS's school uses fees for scholarships for indigenous children
    sharing is good. remembering your privellege is good.

dont you want your kids growing up in an equal world where anyone can get an education?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Jakois  (13-01-2012),share a book  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our booklist is $90 and we order online. It clearly states not to cover the books or label anything as they share and also do covers as an art activity. Hoping that everyone ordered from the same ppl and Dd doesn't end up with someone's crap quality pens & pencils from the reject shop. I am assuming it's only share for this year (prep).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    The flash drive MIGHT come back to you full of photos - did you ask what it will be used for?? we ask all out students to bring in a re writeable cd with them at the start of their school year - we then send it home at the end of the year full of pictures, that are put to music, the parents LOVE it ..
    From what I understand, DS school uses it for the kids to do some school work and save it to the USB so they can finish it at home or continue where they left off at school. No idea what 'subject' it'll be used in though. DS is going to a new school this year so Im still trying to figure out whats goes on there and how everything works

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never heard of parents having to buy the books/stationary etc in public schools.

We're in Tasmania. We pay about $200 in levies, this year DD2 is in grade 3 and there is a camp in the middle of the year so they have included an extra $90 for the camp. We are given the option of paying before the start of 1st term or by installments during 1st term. The first week of school the kids bring home their books to be named and covered, all their stationary and pencils are supplied. We are asked to send in a pencil case and they are given their own grey lead & colouring pencils etc to keep in the pencil case.

Our levies also include a $50 excursion component and in grades 3 & 4 a $25 swim levy.

I don't know of anyone not paying their levies, although I am sure it happens. I think the levy system seems a bit fairer - at least every child gets the same supplies and parents aren't made to feel like they are providing supplies for other peoples children.