+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i have a yr3, yr1 & preprimary this year and all up between booklist & voluntary fees(which should be compulsary) its $350. that to me is incredibly CHEAP. This is a whole year of schooling. sure i still purchase uniforms, school bag, library bag etc etc.. but that doesn't have to be expensive.

and yes we have the pooled system in younger grades, frustrates me to no end knowing some parents dont pay. because the school offers payment options! im sure a few would not have the money at all but that would be rare. majority would want a free ride.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Grade 1 booklist for this year was just over $120 and included tissues and shared items etc. I don't blame the school. Most teachers I know already reach into their own pockets to buy classroom items for craft and reward incentives. Education is underfunded.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS year 2 booklist comes to almost $200, then I need to buy 2 boxes of tissues, a USB stick and a library bag. Plus his school shirts are $20 a pop plus he needs a school brand hat.
    So not including the $200 booklist, Ive set aside another $200 to pay for his full uniform, new school bag and lunch box and the labels for all his stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For prep last year we had to just pay a $80 resource scheme that gave the children everything they needed for the year!! This year for grade 1 we have a book list!!! Something on it sound a bit extreme for instance it states that she needs 3 boxes of 20 pencils :0 ummmm what thats 60 pencils.
    You can get everything you need in a book pack but I have decided that in getting it all myself and sending her to school with 1 thing of each that's required and will leave the rest at home untill she tells me she needs more or her teacher does!!!
    I have a suspicion that stuff they aren't using will be placed in the store room and then just givin to kids willy nilly throughout the year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My school fees used to be $10,000+ at private school, which didn't include books, stationery, uniform, camp etc. This was in the 80s/90s so would be a lot more now.

I feel like I got off really lightly paying $600 for contributions, stationery, library fee etc for DD to start at a state school.

I think the point of this thread, though, was that it is unfair for the school to expect parents who do pay for stationery to pay extra to cover the kids of parents who don't pay. I have to agree with that, I think the burden should be shifted elsewhere (like the government).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD still wears uniforms I bought her in prep. The academic ones are from year 1. She is going into year 3. She also has the same school bag from prep and all the same lunch containers too.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm pretty sure you can claim back up to 50% of education expenses?
    Includes USB sticks, Stationary, Laptops, books, uniforms etc

http://www.educationtaxrefund.gov.au/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

mummaof4  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got fed up with the pooled system too & I asked the teacher to send a note home if something was needed. I did buy everything on the list & gave it to my children as needed. I've also seen organised teachers to a draw tidy & she would tick off on a list what was needed/almost needed & send it home with the kids. Worked pretty well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why are people so anti-share system? It means other littles won't miss out :/

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (13-01-2012),MissMuppet  (13-01-2012),Mrs Molly Coddle  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the share system works.

Idont feel I have the right to judge anothers financial choices.

Public school is cheap!
    DS is going into year 4..
    it will cost me books : $180
    fees $9,800
    Uniform: $300 ( just to top up what we already have)

DD is at a public school.
    Books: $120
    Fees $340
    uniform$15.

BIG BIG difference.
    so of course her school needs a share system. half the parents dont even pay fees and the school cannot run on air.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

share a book  (13-01-2012)