+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hope my kids' school is not like that! When I was in grade one there were only a few communal items such as a box of tissues and things like that. DD starts kindy next year, I haven't got her booklist yet though.

Seems a bit unfair asking u to pay so much by 1st Dec, not everyone has a spare $130 at such short notice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is bizarre. I am moving on to Year 4 next year, and we supply all exercise books, and we aren't a textbook school, so all we ask the parents to supply is a pencil case with lead pencils, sharpener, scissors, gluestick, coloured pencils and a ruler (we don't allow felt pens of any kind) and a couple of boxes of tissues. Looking at what we give them, I could fill the list in Go-Lo or one of those places for under $20, exercise books and pencil case.

Of course, I know that at least half my class won't have a pencil case and I will be supplying pencils all year out of class funds, but ...

Public school in rural NSW if that makes a different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son starts prep this year and his book list was $160.... thats not including the flash drive, skipping rope and tissues etc that i can't buy from the online store!!!

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maybe again View Post
    My son starts prep this year and his book list was $160.... thats not including the flash drive, skipping rope and tissues etc that i can't buy from the online store!!!
    Dd1 book list was only $78 plus I have to provide library bag and 2 boxes of tissues

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maybe again View Post
    FLASH DRIVE .

Ive just read through this thread and i cant quite believe it. OVER $100 for books etc for a SIX year old . Thats just rediculous if you ask me. As for 'shared systems'...I DONT THINK SO!!! Im happy to pay for MY children but as for providing 20 other kids as welll...EXCUSE ME!!! And tissues...coem one people, your telling the school cant provide a $1 box of tissues .
    WHats next, bring our own bandaids and toilet paper!!!

Someone PLEASE tell me exactly WHAT the school fees pay for??? If we're expected to pay fees AS WELL AS books, paper etc!!!

BTW, DD will start kindy next year and i can imagine what its going to cost me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No one ever said school was cheap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

RunningWithScissors  (13-01-2012)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    FLASH DRIVE .

Ive just read through this thread and i cant quite believe it. OVER $100 for books etc for a SIX year old . Thats just rediculous if you ask me. As for 'shared systems'...I DONT THINK SO!!! Im happy to pay for MY children but as for providing 20 other kids as welll...EXCUSE ME!!! And tissues...coem one people, your telling the school cant provide a $1 box of tissues .

Someone PLEASE tell me exactly WHAT the school fees pay for??? If we're expected to pay fees AS WELL AS books, paper etc!!!

You would be surprised by the sheer amount of people who just. don't. pay. school. fees. And they're not always the people you would suspect. One of our most affluent families have never paid a cent in school fees. They just flat out refuse to.

But, since you asked- at my school, school fees ARE put towards stationary. The students are not asked to provide or bring one single thing- our school supplies it all. It also goes towards paying for a kids and fruit program, where we have fruit delivered weekly for all students to share. Towards our swimming program in a neighbouring town's indoor heated pool with qualified Auswim instructors. Towards several family nights the school holds with BBQ's and afternoon tea. Towards school camps (or subsidies at least), towards at least one major excursion a year (every second year we participate in J-Rock, and in the other years we have been to Melb zoo, Mary Poppins etc.) Towards paying for one big event per term- a science show or an author visit etc.
    Towards sports equipment, tissues, more resources for teachers, and this year also towards my new cooking program I am running with my 4/5/6 kids- they get to cook one meal a week for the whole school (if the students wish to eat it they have to order it the week before and pay) so it will help with start up costs for that- buying more cooking equipment and setting up our kitchen so more students can work in there together etc.
    It helps pay for our veggie garden to remain in good condition, and it buys new tonka trucks and little tractors for the kids to use to cultivate their farm on our grounds.
    It helps pay for a MACC (art) and MARC (library) van, complete with it's own teacher to visit our school on rotating fortnights.
    It pays for all the extra items we as teachers like to add to our curriculum- think programs such as THRASS, You Can Do It, Intrepica and Mathletics.

So really.. what DON'T school fees go towards?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

RunningWithScissors  (13-01-2012),share a book  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    FLASH DRIVE .

Wait until they start high school...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well said nomsie, why complain parents? Teachers are providing an education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nomsie... Great point! School fees go towards everything that make the school 'run' and make the school great.
    Art equipment and resources... Excursions... Sports equipment... Books... Computers... Music... I could list these things forever!
    As for the tissues argument... Think about how much it would cost a school to supply that for each classroom for the whole year! Money spent on books and resources is way better spent. As a teacher myself I always find it funny that the two boxes of tissues required per child at my school runs out usually early in term 3! Because of the colds/flu that each child usually gets and brings to school. I think tissues at school is the best idea! Before that happened I used to buy tissue boxes out of my own money for the class for the whole year!
    Books and school supplies aren't cheap but it's a small thing really for quality education.
    As for the sharing thing I don't know! In my classroom the kids bring their spare supplies named/labelled etc. it goes in a bag with their name on it and is stored in a cupboard where they can get a new pencil/glue etc when they need to. But that's just the way I do things!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast