+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fourbees View Post
    We just got our book list for next year today. My son will be year 1 and it is $173!!!!! Then we have to also give 2 boxes of tissues, 1 pack of wipes and a bottle of liquid soap!
    I nearly fell off my chair when I read the cost
    Its crazy hey. I thought public school was ment to be afforable!

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fourbees View Post
    We just got our book list for next year today. My son will be year 1 and it is $173!!!!! Then we have to also give 2 boxes of tissues, 1 pack of wipes and a bottle of liquid soap!
    I nearly fell off my chair when I read the cost
    Wow that's a lot I thought $98 last year for kindy was bad
    I'm pretty sure that's more than dss year 8 booklist

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    Its crazy hey. I thought public school was ment to be afforable!
    Unfortunately I've found public schooling can be expensive. Uniforms, supplies, constant fund raising, excursions...

But then even the cheap catholic schools you are up for min $60 p/f per child and there's still uniforms, excursions, fund raising, just the same as public. I went private as a kid and they supplied a few pencils and $1 cheap lined books and the rest my parents paid for after the fees

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    oh and if DS loses his textas/pencils...he goes without till the end of the term...and gets given cheap crappy replacements to the end of the year. He needs to learn to take care of his things...and simply replacing things when he is careless teaches him nothing!

I supplied a box of good lead pencils at the beginning of the year though so he always has a good one of those.
    But is it your son loosing his textas/pencils or are the other kids stealing or taking/borrowing them? Then when your son doesn't have one what is he going to do? Or when the cheap crappy replacements only last a day. If I did this too DD the poor girl wouldn't have many left by the end of term, the other kids are always stealing/taking/borrowing her stuff. All so pencils wear down really quick when sharpened every day, even quicker when there cheap crappy replacements .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate the shared system. We struggle at times to afford the enormous booklists they send home and then to find out that things are being used by other kids because of lazy parents .... grrrrr. I have gotten to a point now that i send one or two items of each requested to school with my daughter at the start of the year and then she lets me know what she needs when she runs out. If i had sent all 20 lead pencils that were requested, they would all be gone because of other children taking them. Instead by doing it our way, she still has 10 at home that we can use for next years list instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WasntMeMum View Post
    I hate the shared system. We struggle at times to afford the enormous booklists they send home and then to find out that things are being used by other kids because of lazy parents .... grrrrr. I have gotten to a point now that i send one or two items of each requested to school with my daughter at the start of the year and then she lets me know what she needs when she runs out. If i had sent all 20 lead pencils that were requested, they would all be gone because of other children taking them. Instead by doing it our way, she still has 10 at home that we can use for next years list instead.
    Can the school stop you from doing that? I'm just wondering, as I don't want to send all 40!! pencils and all exercise books on day 1. rather keep them at home and supply when needed.. But it stated that we have to bring the whole box of items in on day 1. DS 1 starts Year 2 next year and his book list is $112, quite expensive imo..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I feel so lucky DD doesn't have a share system. I bought her a pencil case with textas, highlighters, rubbers etc at the beginning of the year and she still has them. They have some cheap coloured and lead pencils on each table for the kids who don't get bought their own, by the school. But expecting parents to buy all this stuff then have other kids use them is a bit rich imo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I feel so lucky DD doesn't have a share system. I bought her a pencil case with textas, highlighters, rubbers etc at the beginning of the year and she still has them. They have some cheap coloured and lead pencils on each table for the kids who don't get bought their own, by the school. But expecting parents to buy all this stuff then have other kids use them is a bit rich imo
    I agree I feel so lucky that ds has his things supplied ATM (preschool) they have nice pencils / textas to share and it's all supplied but we are private (Montessori) as far as I know parents supply books and first set of things in school and the rest the school helps with for us. I think it's a big ask for any parent to have to supply for another persons child, how are they to know if you too are struggling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow - that is hexy for Gr1. In Gr 1, do they have their own tidy desk or chairbag? I know with my son, everything was communal in Prep, however when we started Gr1, I covered all his books and put his name on every pencil (but he had a chairbag). I even brought him his own pencil case to place all his pencils/sharpene/rubberr in. I believe I was also teaching him a lesson on how to look after his own belongings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds so strange. Dd is in year 3 and all books are given by the school even writing books. We just have to cover them and put names.