+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New school booklist for 2012. Not happy :(

$130 for grade one 2012 booklist. Now not only is tge price way to high but we just got tgis list today and it needs to be paid for by dec 1st.....

Arghhhhhhh.

But what makes me really really mad!!! Is tgat we are made fully aware not to put names on it as all pens pencils crayons are put in one tub and everyone uses it, same with the books, we have to buy 2-3 of every book, and it all gets put it one pile for everyone.

They state iys because it helps other kids get the stationary tgey need as not all parents can afford it.... EXCUSE ME.... I have to fork out a huge amount for all tgis out of my one person income, giving up alot just to afford it and your telling me it goes to other kids.....

I wouldnt be so mad if i didnt have to purchase more through out tge year.
    Just tgis year i have been asked 3 times to buy my lined scrap books, textas, crayons, stick tape and so on because my dd has run out.....

I go to pick her up early every second friday and tgers 5 other kids with her books and tgeir names printed with permanent marker on it.

And i know its hers because i did put barbie cover on them with her personalized name tags which are STILL on the books.

I was asked at end of last term to buy more (this being the forth time) and i straight out said NO, i am a single mother of two, i am not the mother of this class and i will not be buying any more products.

I know one mother in particular that is taking advantage of tgis crappy system and complaons to the teacher she cant afford anything for stationary, or their cooking day (you only have to supply one item of you choice) and their kid is never in uniform, shes always whining to this other mum how unfair it is bla bla.

But today, she was telling us all she just bought a $15,000 car, was showing everyone the reciept and owners cert thingy and everything.

I managed to get a glimpse of this car and it was flashy. Yet her kid is one of the kids with my dds books. Has no uniform....

Aghhh just frustrates me. Next yr i am giving dd a pencil with 1 of item required item and 1 of each book and i will be telling the teacher that they will remain in her desk only and that i will not send any new items untill i have seen her book filled with HER stuff.

I jist can not afford to support other peoples kids tgrough school when im only making ends meet for my kod to go fully equiped and in 100% correct uniform.

I work my butt off and give up everything i need and want just so my kids have tge best of everything, not to pay for 6 other kids.

Vent over

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That does sound super frustrating and unfair!! I had now idea that this is how the school system works these days, I hope it's not like this for all schools..will be another thing I will have to enquire about when I enroll my son into prep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    gosh that sounds really unfair. you shouldnt have to provide for half the class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersInstinct View Post
    That does sound super frustrating and unfair!! I had now idea that this is how the school system works these days, I hope it's not like this for all schools..will be another thing I will have to enquire about when I enroll my son into prep.
    Yea, i know 1 other public school that does and 1 orivate that shares a few things but not everything.

I would def ask the schools you look at!

I just hate being forced to be finacially responsible for other people. I have my own family to look after

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Our school is the same and I don't like it either

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Are you sure they share in yr one? my DS had to share everything in kindy/pre-primary but in yr1 everything was labeled with his name and I had to buy 2 lots because one is a back up for when the first one runs out. then a note is sent home to ask you to buy more to replace the back up. Have had to buy 4 more lots of coloured pencils (someone enjoys sharpening ), 2 lots of crayons and 1 tub of glue.
    Kids, eh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    wow that is a crap system!!!

Some of our stuff for year 1 was communal...but if it ran out at any stage then the school replaced/made sure they had what they needed.

Books and things though...i buy what my child need and cover them and send them in. they last him the whole year...and would never be given to anyone else...any left over are returned to me at the end of the year. I would be LIVID if i bought, covered and named books and then found out they had been given to other people...seriously...that is just ****e!!

I understand that some people can not afford the supplies...but the school should make up for that short fall, not other parents!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh and if DS loses his textas/pencils...he goes without till the end of the term...and gets given cheap crappy replacements to the end of the year. He needs to learn to take care of his things...and simply replacing things when he is careless teaches him nothing!

I supplied a box of good lead pencils at the beginning of the year though so he always has a good one of those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We pay $50 at the start of the year but ours share in Prep then after that have their own. Its sad our education system is struggling so much that parents have to do this.

Personally I would talk to the principal and just explain that you can't afford it and is there an alternative, maybe paying it in installments or getting a discount, or paying for the first lot then after that not again?

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Our school gives you a choice ... an $80 levy .. OR a $120 book list ...

if you pay the levy .. its all sorted for you ... (so thats what I'll be doing) AND you can pay the levy in instalments (which is $20 a term .. seriously .. thats $2 a week at school) ...

I know it seems unfair that others dont pay it .. but its also unfair that a child (who has no control over whether their parents buy them books and pens .. or blows the money on smokes, pokies or a spoiler and mags for the car ) misses out. The fact is that there ARE parents in society who dont put the needs of their children first - and they often dont care about education. I feel for those kids - and while .. yes .. I do feel a level of anger/ bitterness at the parents .. I cant resent the kids for it .. they cant help it

I know its a crap system - at least with the levy .. the school admin can refuse 'extras' till the levy is paid ... it motivates the parents to step up and at least make part payments ..

xx
    Jen