+ Reply to Thread
    The Crunchy Mum is offline BH Blogger - Cloth Nappies and Babywearing
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tips for travelling with cloth nappies

We have an upcoming overseas trip to visit family planned. I want to take on travelling with cloth. Any tips for making it work? What are the best types of cloth nappies to pack? What are some things to keep in mind while being on the go?
    Last edited by The Crunchy Mum; 31-10-2011 at 22:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We use disposables when we travel somewhere without regular access to a washing machine (staying in hotels etc). If I were to travel with cloth, I would probably use Chameleon Singles biodegradable disposable inserts in cloth shells.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

scarymarygoldfish  (31-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use disposable on holidays, it's my holiday too!

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I use eBay cheapies when traveling, that way if they go missing it doesn't matter as much, I can stuff them with more to turn day nappies into night nappies and they dry quicker. We also opt for self-contained units, holiday houses or staying with relatives when we travel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    double

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post
    I use disposable on holidays, it's my holiday too!

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**
    Same.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would think that an waterproof outer and liner (all in 2?) would be easier to get dry and would definitely not take any plush covers. Maybe take a cake of laundry soap or 2 in case you have trouble getting your hands on some suitable washing liquid/powder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Flats and covers or fitteds and covers.

If i was travelling to Asia might check out what flat nappies or material to make them was available where i was going so i didn't have to take lots with me (weight wise and taking up space in the bag) and take covers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We lived and travelled in South Asia for 10 months in 2010 and we used cloth the entire time. Our system when on the road was:

10 muslin cloths - they would dry in a couple of hours
    3 prefolds for overnight - they would take at least 24 hours to dry
    5 waterproof shells / pockets - quick drying Bummis and Peapods for us
    20 polar fleece liners for winter / silk liners for tropics and summer that doubled as wipes when wet

This meant that we had plenty if we washed each night and we could scrape through if we decided to have a 'rest' day. We were mostly in areas without regular rubbish collection so disposables were not an option. I found that I could purchase decent washing powder in most major cities and would buy enough to last us until we planned to hit another regional centre. A couple of times we ran out and my shampoo made a good temporary substitute. Pegs were an essential but we always seemed to find hanging space so didn't carry a travel clothesline. We stayed in medium-range places with our own bathroom always equipped with a perfect washing bucket/baby's bath and most toilet facilities had a squirt hose attachment that was great for a quick prerinse and to flush away solids. Two washable waterproof bags were used for soiled items - one for anything just wet and one for anything dirty.

Our system worked because we would arrive at our new 'home', put the nappies in for a soak, take a rest or have some food, one of us would then scrub and rinse while the other baby-minded, we would then peg-out in a sunny spot or in the room if it was wet / night and then head to bed or out for fun depending on the time of day. 10 hours later most things would be dry and anything still damp could be hung off the Ergo or backpack if we needed to be on the move.

Every so often we would feel a bit and so we would indulge by paying to have our clothes and nappies washed......guiltily justified as supporting the local economy!!

One of my favourite memories is of washing with my host on the roof of our homestay. She blitzed through a weeks-worth of washing with her powerhouse arms and laughed at my dodgy, slow technique. By the end of the 10 months I could proudly scrub, rinse and peg out the lot in under 30 mintues .

In 6 months we'll do it all again with 2 under 3 so lets see how that goes!!!

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    binibadu-... that is amazing.

envy envy envy... throw me some tips on travelling with children!!