+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    WOW - I just looked on coles online and this stuff is expensive - b.w $26-$29 per kilo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just dropped DS to his dad, and XDP says, "I bought you a present. They were on special so I thought we could give it a try", and hands me two cans of chicken! He couldn't understand why I was freaking out. Weird coincidence, but I've got them in my hot little hand.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (17-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was so intreged by this that I brought some canned chicken (chop chop brand) and I have to say it wasn't bad.

I wouldn't buy it again cos its like almost $30 per kilo and its not super nice, but it wasn't gross. It was pure chicken breast chunks - nothing wierd or gross about it.

But to me it tasted like tin tuna - which made me realise that tin tuna probably doesn't actually taste like tuna. If tin tuna and tin chicken taste to similar, I think they mostly take like 'tin' IYKWIM.

Anyway, really wasn't all that bad - DH and I would definatley use them if we went camping or something liek that and i totally get how they could be handy for OP on a quick meal break. The ingredients in teh one I brought were chicken, springwater, salt and oil.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bought a few tins of chicken and it was gross! Then I looked at where it was made and it said Thailand... Turned me off big time!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jessesgirl View Post
    I bought a few tins of chicken and it was gross! Then I looked at where it was made and it said Thailand... Turned me off big time!!
    what brand was it?

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LilaGabon View Post
    LOL i do agree, it's not healthy.
    Rubbish. It's chicken breast, packed in spring water, sealed in a can and then heat treated. The heat treatment seals it, kills any bacteria and cooks the chicken. Is chicken breast unhealthy??? Of course not. It is no more unhealthy than tuna in spring water in a can.

I actually like it and it makes a great alternative when making myself a salad to using tuna. I would much prefer to use the canned variety, than left over cooked chicken when pregnant as the risk of nasties is much much lower in the canned variety. I had it for lunch today actually.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just putting another thing to worry about out there - my naturopath told me to stay off all tin food while pregnant ( actually pregnant or not) as most contain BPA,s , John West apparently has very high levels, so try make sure you find BPA free cans !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Just putting another thing to worry about out there - my naturopath told me to stay off all tin food while pregnant ( actually pregnant or not) as most contain BPA,s , John West apparently has very high levels, so try make sure you find BPA free cans !
    its the plastic lining of the tin that will have BPA not the actual tin itself. So if its just a plain tin without a plastic lining inside or on lid it 'should' be ok.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    I wish I could eat it but I've associated it with my cats can food as its the same size and texture now I can't.
    LOL.. I do that with tuna sometimes, especially the "homebrand" tuna, it just reminds me of catfood.. enough said

As for the original question about the chicken in a can being safe, if it's 100% natural chicken breast there shouldn't be a prob. I've had it on a salad roll once and it tasted fine. If they can can fish, why not chicken? It's all flesh.. (eew, I know, but it's true!)
    Good on you for being healthy! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    what brand was it?
    It was either Heinz or chop chop!