+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Canned Chicken? - Is it okay in pregnancy?

Hey everyone,
    I hate hate hate seafood, so am not willing to go the tinned tuna or crab or salmon or anything like that route.
    But I've been put on a high BMI'ers diet (because I have a high BMI!) and it suggests tinned tuna all over it. I really don't want to eat it, it makes me sick when I'm not preggers and being that I've been soooo sick whilst preggers I can't even imagine trying tinned seafood.

So, I used to eat a lot of tinned chicken, (chicken in a can, whatever you want to call it) and love love loved it, I thought it would be a good alternative in the to tuna in the 'tuna salads' and 'tuna salad rolls' I've been instructed to eat, but I'm not sure if it's safe.

Anyone have any ideas? My google search has been fruitless, so I thought I'd ask all of you wonderful ladies.

Much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Canned chicken is never okay! Never, never, never. It belongs with Spam....in the chronicles of WTF were they thinking?

In all honesty I have no idea if it's okay to eat or not..I'm assuming yes but the idea of chicken in a can is just

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

andi84  (09-01-2012),Bubbles10  (09-01-2012),FloatingFairy  (17-01-2012),mixinitup  (09-01-2012),Pesca77  (09-01-2012),Witwicky  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    Canned chicken is never okay! Never, never, never. It belongs with Spam....in the chronicles of WTF were they thinking?

In all honesty I have no idea if it's okay to eat or not..I'm assuming yes but the idea of chicken in a can is just
    Bahaha agreed!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Are you seeing a dietitian?
    Fresh chicken breast cooked at home and used in the first 24 hours (making sure it stored correctly) should be a better option.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BeginnerMummy  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I agree!!!!! Chicken in a can = wrong.

OP I can't imagine that the nutritional content of chicken in a can would be beneficial.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It will be SAFE to eat but there's no way it could compare with tuna for nutritional value. It would have way more fat and calories.

What about tinned salmon? I hate tuna too but the salmon (especially the "wood smoked" flavour) is delicious! And it's got better omega-3s than tinned tuna.

Edit: just be aware of the tinned chicken/salmon that has added mayo etc cause that increases fat/calories (and makes it yummier!).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

andi84  (09-01-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I assume you mean the heinz one. It's safe, just compare the fat/calorie content to tuna to see if it truly is comparable.

You could always substitute a small can of mixed beans for protein too, they would be much lower in fat although they would contain some extra carbs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

~Gracie'sMummy~ is offline There is no footprint so small that it doesn't leave an imprint on this world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would give the Heinz 1800 free call number a call. They have on site Nutritionists and Infant Feeding professionals that will be able to give you all the information you need.

The canned chicken is 100% pure chicken breast so should be absolutely safe to eat. I agree that it's really yummy!! When it was first released i thought "ewwww, chicken in a can is just wrong!" but i tried is and actually really like it. It's great for sandwhiches and crackers.
    Stick with the plain chicken in springwater if you want the healthiest option, or the lemon and pepper. Mayo is a little higher in fat content... but yummy!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Gracie'sMummy~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

LOL i do agree, it's not healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To those of you who replied with POSITIVE info thank you so much, I finally got to talk to a dietician and yes, Canned Chicken is safe AND a perfect substitute for canned tuna. So I've begun eating it in salads, rolls, pasta. It's been a dream for my work lunches because we are only offered a microwave at work, and with only 30 minutes for lunch you are hard pressed to get out of the ICU and out to find some real food! and I don't eat the ones with mayonnaise or additives, I only eat the chicken in sea-water or mineral water or the 'smoked' versions, because whomever suggested that is right, the ones with the additives are WAYYYY worse for the calories, and fat etc.

To those of you who decided to take the route of berating me for even thinking about the canned chicken. Thanks so much (and yes, I mean it in the most super sarcastic manner I can possibly find). That wasn't supportive at all, and made me feel like a right fool for even bothering to ask. I hope you teach your children better manners.

For your own information, canned chicken is 100% chicken breast, it tastes lovely after refrigeration, or when added to a salad or sandwich with a bit of mayonnaise or mustard seed dressing. Plus it's super easy to use for quick meals like lunch or afternoon tea.

Again, thanks to those who were positive about my question.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeginnerMummy For This Useful Post:

loop  (09-01-2012),miggins  (09-01-2012),mizz  (09-01-2012),My Beloved Ones  (17-01-2012)