+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Did you just relate parents who circumcise with terrorists?????
    The anti-circ section kicking goals again.
    No, she commented on how it's not always appropriate to respect others beliefs.

It is ok to respect their right to an alternate belief or belief system it is not always appropriate to respect their belief. A widely known example would be terrorism nowhere did she say those who circ are terrorists.

ETA: I do believe there are more appropriate examples but none that those ok with circumcision would accept..

ETA 2 lol: father- assuming you are a male, were someone to take you restrain you and remove part of your anatomy without consulting you how would you feel?.. Would you consider that appropriate? Keeping in mind this is not needed for health but is purely cosmetic. Age shouldn't factor into the most basic of human rights even on an animal we have made illegal most purely cosmetic procedures, our daughters are protected, why are our infant sons still not given that same consideration and protection and why should it be needed from their own parents
    Last edited by mummykitty; 06-12-2011 at 03:20.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mummykitty For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (07-12-2011)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    out of interest, is it illegal anywhere?
    i will never forget seeing a little boy in hopsital after being circ'd bawling his eyes out,wanting to go home but he couldnt until he passed urine and that was the last thing he wanted to do as his old fella hurt like crazy
    I just read in another thread that "Circumcision of males is legal in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, USA and Canada.
    However, routine neonatal circumcision has been declared unlawful in South Africa,
    Sweden (except on religious grounds) and Finland."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I just read in another thread that "Circumcision of males is legal in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, USA and Canada.
    However, routine neonatal circumcision has been declared unlawful in South Africa,
    Sweden (except on religious grounds) and Finland."
    Maybe its time for US and AU to wake up and follow the steps of africa, sweden and finland

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    No, she commented on how it's not always appropriate to respect others beliefs.

ETA 2 lol: father- assuming you are a male, were someone to take you restrain you and remove part of your anatomy without consulting you how would you feel?.. Would you consider that appropriate? Keeping in mind this is not needed for health but is purely cosmetic. Age shouldn't factor into the most basic of human rights even on an animal we have made illegal most purely cosmetic procedures, our daughters are protected, why are our infant sons still not given that same consideration and protection and why should it be needed from their own parents
    So she relate those who circ with terrorists.'
    '
    In answer to your question - this did happen to me (I was circumcised without my consent).
    Whilst some may circumcise for purely cosmetic reasons - this is not the norm so I feel it is unfair to lump all circumcisions into the same category.
    Age is a factor. Whilst you are a child, your parents have to make many decisions on your behalf. So of these are easy - like send you off to school and make you brush your teeth before bed. The child may not consent to either of these - but it is (in the opinion of the parents) in the child's best interest. Some are more difficult - like should I subject my child to the pain of a needle in the small chance that he/she may get some rare disease? Circumcision is not an easy decision. But it is one that the parents can choose to make on behalf of their child if they deem it is in their best interests.
    I suggest that you read the RACP statement on circumcision. It covers this aspect in some detail.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Unless medically indicated or religious it is purely cosmetic Father. As you have been told before, you cannot equate circ with tooth brushing or vaccination.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 06-12-2011 at 11:00.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (06-12-2011),Ulysses  (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Although everyone using the Bub Hub forum is free to post constructively in any area of the forum, please be mindful of where you are posting, with what content.

If the anti RIC area is not in line with your beliefs as a parent, then perhaps it best not to post in this area at all.

There is also a pro RIC area for those that choose the procedure for thier sons.

In either the pro or anti sections however, abusive and or emotive language will not be tolerated. The guidelines as to what language is unacceptable, are at the very top of the Circumcision forum.

Thank you
    Last edited by DQ; 06-12-2011 at 11:03.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DQ For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Unless medically indicated or religious it is purely cosmetic Father. As you have been told before, you cannot equate circ with tooth brushing or vaccination.
    You missed prophylactic.
    And yes, I can equate it to vaccination. Just as it appears that others can equate it to terrorism.
    We are all free to have our opinions - although, unfortunately, it looks like this freedom of opinion is being gradually taken away from us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are all free to have our opinions - although, unfortunately, it looks like this freedom of opinion is being gradually taken away from us.
    That's what the pro circ forum is for...

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaddySingh For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (06-12-2011),laurea  (06-12-2011),MilkingMaid  (06-12-2011),trishalishous  (06-12-2011),Witwicky  (06-12-2011)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did you just relate parents who circumcise with terrorists?????
    The anti-circ section kicking goals again.
    To begin with, we are in the anti circ thread - so who exactly am i kicking goals against when this thread is meant for those that don't agree with circ.?

But to explain, it is merely an analogy of where beliefs are not a valid argument for society allowing something. I was simply raising the point that questioning beliefs is a good thing & showing an example of where this is true. Terrorist example was just the first that came to mind but there are many examples where society has questioned beliefs & it raises the point of where do we draw the line between letting people do something because they "believe" it to be the right thing to do & society setting limits to what is acceptable?

In my opinion just letting people do things because they believe it to be the right thing to do can be dangerous. Just to clarify, i don't think that parents who circ. are in the same category as terrorists, but i do think society should always be allowed to question those practises (including circ.) that it deems dangerous or harmful.

No goals, just a way of expressing a point about questioning peoples beliefs systems - sometimes examples & analogies can convey a point more meaningfully as people can relate - it is not a reflection on how I feel about parents who circ. but merely on the attitude of letting things slide because we dont want to infringe on someones beliefs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (07-12-2011)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So she relate those who circ with terrorists.'
    '
    Some are more difficult - like should I subject my child to the pain of a needle in the small chance that he/she may get some rare disease? .
    It is not a "small chance of getting a rare disease" - these diseases are not rare as you say & have in fact been dramatically reduced by immunisation, which you seem to think is unnecessary? Statistically you are many many more times more likely to get the diseases we immunise against than you are to suffer serious physical problems due to not being circumcised. Apart from this, VPD,s kill people & this cannot be compared to foregoing circumcision. This argument is not comparable - VPD,s need immunisation to remain at bay,baby boys dont need circ. to increase their chances of surviving or preventing lifelong disabilities or brain damage such as can be the result of VPD,s - not to mention death - & once upon a time before vaccination these diseases killed three times more people than all of the wars of the twentieth century put together (& that is just small pox) People dont immunise children because they believe it to be the best option - they do it because the medical community which they respect advises them to do so - the same cannot be said about circumcision.

It's fine to have an opinion, although it's probably better for those who are pro circ. not to crash an openly anti circ. thread & get offended by statements made here. It is a place where those who are of a similar mindset can discuss the topic, so of course there will be content you want to argue.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 07-12-2011 at 08:27.