+ Reply to Thread
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What non ivf/iui/iudi things have you done to try to get UTD & where any successful?

Oh cool, I just found this section so thought I would ask! DH and I are TTC but not really interested in IVF and not even sure if we would/should seek medical assistance of any sort (just us know its different for everyone).

So yeh, what 'other' things have you tried and what if any were succesful?

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    bump?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Exercise. I would say this made the most difference for me and a few others I know. Not sure if its to do with losing weight or getting healthier. Either way it has worked for me. I am not terribly overweight either.

Pillow under your bum plus its comfy

Not sure if that is the kind of stuff you were talking about.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (30-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We tried everything! I put DP on Zinc tablets, charted temps, checked cm, checked my cervix position, tried sperm meets egg plan, used preseed, begged and prayed daily, constantly dtd to dtd every second day! When that failed we tried daily around ovulation.. I used opk's like a mad woman! For 9 months I was pretty feral and I lived on google searching for things we could do

My gyno booked me in for surgery to see what was going on and in the 10th month I gave up knowing I was having surgery and would have to wait at least 3 months after it to ttc... And I got my bfp a week before surgery!

I think all the stressing over it wasn't helping and in that last month it wasn't consuming me as much as I thought there was no point trying with the surgery looming!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you both had the basic fertility screening checks with your GP? And a Hy-Co-Sy to check your tubes are clear? I'd start there if you haven't, its important to know if there are any roadblocks before you invest more time, energy & emotions into TTC. Make sure they check your thyroid properly (look for free T3, free T4 and thyroid antibodies, not just TSH).

If you have been tested and you both checked out OK, there's quite a few things you can do to maximise your chances of conceiving naturally:
    - Low GI diet
    - Cut out caffeine & alcohol (and other drugs if you do them)
    - Don't reheat food in plastic containers
    - Exercise 3 times a week minimum
    - Take pre-conception vitamins. For you: Blackmores Preg & Breastfeeding, for him: Usana Essentials
    - Take probiotics (eg. Nourishing flora from the fridge at the health food shop)
    - Read the fertility tips on the website for Sharkeys Healing Centre (or any other natural fertility website you prefer). There are blogs out there too.
    - Chart your BBT so you know when you are fertile (this will also tell you the length of your luteal phase and show if you are maintaing good progesterone levels after ovulation)
    - Consult a naturopath
    - Consult an osteopath (make sure your pelvic region is lined up properly)
    - Try acupuncture and/or traditional chinese medicine (TCM)

Some of these things we did before we finally moved on to IVF, and others we've done more recently. No success for us yet, but we have deeper issues. For the average healthy, fertile couple, any or all of the above apparantly works wonders!

Good luck to you