+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birthing pool question

Hi girls... im going to homebirth my baby in june, and id like to have a birthing pool and waterbirth, but i have a dilemma - my previous 2 labours have been very short, 2.5hrs, then half hour, im not sure ill have enough time to fill the birthpool once labour starts, but then i dont want to "pre-fill" it and have a cold pool in the middle of winter... any advice from those who have had waterbirths before?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Start filling the pool when you get a few twinges, and hop in once you think it's definitely labour - your body warmth will help keep the pool warm.
    You could also just half fill it instead when you think labour is starting up, and then have your DP ready to fill it up quick fast with hot water when you know this is it and you want to get in.

Also, your labour may not be as quick as your last labour. I notice from your signature that your little girl was born sleeping - labours with babies who have passed away in utero are often extremely precipitous (quick).

This time round you may go back to a longer 2hr+ or so labour again.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you get time to get the pool filled up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also worth noting you can buy covers to help keep the pool warm

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would def pre fill it with cold water and keep a cover over it (a cheap shower curtain maybe) just to keep the dust out then just top it up with straight hot water when you need it. I'm sorry I can't see your signature as I'm in my phone I know another post mentioned a sleeping baby and I'm very sorry for your loss but if you have other children around please be mindful of pre filling the pool xoxo

Also mine didn't take that long to fill from scratch, about 40 minutes but we have continueous hot water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am borrowing a large urn to boil water (so we don't use all the hot water system). You could have one of these pre-warmed to top up or combine with the water system water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep just wanted to add they don't take as long to fill as you would think - we had a regular garden hose hooked up to the laundry taps for easy hot/cold fill. I used the regular tub while the birth pool filled and I would agree with Thermo, took around 40 mins. Best wishes for your homebirth!