+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumbleine View Post
    hangon... bloody baby brain strikes again. Do you just mean corn flour like the normal stuff I use in almost every recipe to thicken sauces etc?? LOL

I am so sick of this baby brain..
    lol no our corn flour is completely different

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in Adelaide

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kmetius View Post
    lol no our corn flour is completely different
    I was trying to imagine eating a flat bread made out of corn flour from the box and it was pretty gross in my mind LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumbleine View Post
    I was trying to imagine eating a flat bread made out of corn flour from the box and it was pretty gross in my mind LOL
    haha yes when I was first told corn flour I attempted to make it with our cornflour but ours doesn't even make a dough lol

Ok I will look up where you get the flour and post the recipe....there's a few variations on the fillings so I will post them for you too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Makes 4 or 5 pupusas

Ingredients

• Masa harina also called Masa Lista -- 2 cups
    • Warm water -- 1 cup
    • Filling (see variations) -- 1 cup

Method

1. In a large bowl, mix together the masa harina/masa lista and water and knead well. Knead in more water, one tablespoonful at a time if needed, to make a moist, yet firm dough. (It should not crack at the edges when you press down on it.) Cover and set aside to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
    2. Roll the dough into a log and cut it into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
    3. Press an indentation in each ball with your thumb. Put about 1 tablespoon of desired filling into each indentation and fold the dough over to completely enclose it. Press the ball out with your palms to form a disc, taking care that that the filling doesn't spill out.
    4. place the dough between two pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper and roll it out with a rolling pin.
    5. Heat a greased skillet or bbq hot plate over medium-high flame. Cook each pupusa for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and blistered. Remove to a plate and hold warm until all pupusas are done.
    Ok variations of fillings are as follow

• Pupusas de Queso: With a cheese filling. Use grated mozzarella and crumbled fetta. Add some minced green chile if you like.
    • Pupusas de Chicharrones: With a filling of fried chopped pork and a little tomato sauce. A reasonable substitute can be made by pulsing 1 cup of cooked bacon with a little bit of tomato sauce in a food processor.
    • Pupusas de Frijoles Refritos: With a refried bean filling. Not the tinned crap if you want the recipe just ask
    • Pupusas Revueltas: Use a mixture of chicharrones, cheese and refried beans.
    • Pupusas de Queso y Loroco: With a cheese and tropical vine flower filling. Loroco can be found in jars at many Latin markets.
    • Other Fillings: Cooked potatoes or finely minced, sautéed jalapeño peppers are also tasty fillings. Try a mixture of different fillings.
    Curtido 4-6 servings
    Ingredients

• Cabbage, shredded -- 1/2 head
    • Carrot, peeled and grated -- 1
    • Boiling water -- 4 cups
    • Scallions, minced -- 3
    • White vinegar -- 1/2 cup
    • Water -- 1/2 cup
    • Jalapeño or serrano chile pepper, minced -- 1
    • Salt -- 1/2 teaspoon

Method

1. Place the cabbage and carrots in a large heat-proof bowl. Pour the boiling water into the bowl to cover the cabbage and carrots and set aside for about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
    2. Return the cabbage to the bowl and toss with the remaining of the ingredients. Let set at room temperature for a couple hours if you like. Then chill and serve with pupusas

Salsa de Rojo

Makes about 2 cups
    Ingredients

• Olive oil -- 3 tablespoons
    • Onion, chopped -- 1/4 cup
    • Garlic, chopped -- 1 clove
    • Serrano or jalapeño chile pepper, chopped -- 1
    • Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 2 cups
    • Dried oregano -- 2 teaspoons
    • Salt and pepper -- to taste
    • Fresh Cilantro (coriander), chopped -- 1/4 cup

Method

1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium flame. Add the onion, garlic and chile and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
    2. Stir in the tomatoes and oregano and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool a bit.
    3. Puree the tomato sauce in a blender until smooth, adding a little water if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir in cilantro and serve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok the flour is called Masa Harina or Masa Lista (both are the same thing) you can buy it from some woolies stores either with the flours or in the international food section, most Asian and Indian food stores the little market things sell it the brand I use it San Carlos they have a website which tells you their stockists but the site hasn't finished being updated so they don't have the SA stockists on there.

It's just ground up dried corn kernals

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much, this sounds amazing! I told my DH just before in a msg and he said he is so excited at the prospect of some form of dough mid week lol. Poor thing.

Ill take a look the next time I go to woolies.

Do you think you could make a flat bread with this recipe that you fry but dont stuff?

Thanks
    Reviews
    they use that flour for all the foods eg. tortilla breads and chips and such....

You can make up the dough as if you would make the pupusa but don't stuff them and then fry them in a deep fryer until golden and serve with mashed avo or sour cream spread on top...it's yummy like that

Another way if you want to fry is to make the dough then roll into fat 'snakes' like you would with playdough and put a big indent in the centre so it's like a boat then fry them until golden...fill the hole with a mix of finely shredded chicken and salsa de rojo that's yummy too
    Last edited by kmetius; 27-10-2011 at 13:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im going to try at just pan frying them. I know it wont be as good as deep frying but I dont own a deep fryer and im not about to invest in one as I would no doubt start making some really yummy but unhealthy things lol

The reason I ask is I make a really easy chilli con carne almost weekly as its perfect for DH's meals and he just has it as is, but this would go really well with it I think

Im super excited... ill also try my hand at the stuffed ones too just have to pick which one I like the sounds of the most as they all sound pretty amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just use a big pot for my 'deep fryer' lol