+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Ohh fair enough, so would I.

I was just thinking today...I wonder if Ms. Gillard would be happy to do a job that she hated for years and years, free of charge, and suffering a mental illness because of it. Crap workplace conditions, working 24/7 with no sick leave or holiday pay...I wonder if she'd fix the daycare dilemma then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For those on centrelink benefits daycare is not at all expensive if receiving the ccb and the rebate so unsure why those on benefits say daycare is expensive. We don't get the ccb, we only get the rebate and still think the cost is fair, not expensive. I would go crazy being a long term sahm. I love being a mum and love my work and the mental stimulation it provides. Motherhood and work is a good balance. It does sound like you could be depressed with the feelings your describing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Kinberlygal1 - You have to remember the rebate is different for everyone so it might work out to a fair price for you but for others it still makes childcare just too expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The full cost of family day care in my area is around $50 per day without CCB or rebate. Many jobs pay more than $50/day so it could well be worth the OP getting 1-2 days work without the cost outweighing the profit, and as a single parent the benefits make it even cheaper. I know a sahm who has her DD in care 2 days a week for "me time"- doesn't work these 2 days. (I dint necessarily agree with that, just making a point that it's likely to be pretty inexpensive to the op if she's currently on c/link)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    Kinberlygal1 - You have to remember the rebate is different for everyone so it might work out to a fair price for you but for others it still makes childcare just too expensive.
    I think what kimberlygal was getting at is that she only gets the rebate (which from my understanding is 50% of out of pocket cost, so after any CCB is taken out, for everyone who is eligible). Eligibility depends on the work, training, study test.
    I also don't receive any CCB, and am only eligible for the 50% rebate like everyone who meets the work training study test. My fees are 72 dollars per day, so 36 after the rebate. Very affordable, as long as you make more than that amount per day, and obviously depending on how many kids you have in care.
    So by my thinking if OP is a single mum, she would be able to get a decent CCB percentage back, making it even more affordable!
    I have a single mum friend who pays 9 dollars per day and gets half that back with the rebate!!!! She earns about 500 per week doing 4 days work!!
    I guess my point is if a mum needs to
    Have some me time she could work two days per week and it should be affordable- but I'm not in any way saying this is the right choice for all, or even most people! It's obviously a very personal choice for each family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Okay then, i'm not an expert on it by any means. Last time i looked into it it worked out to be not affordable for me but obviously it is different for everyone.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    im on a carers pension and which means im excluded from needing to meet requirements for ccb n all the rest but depending on the daycare the prices i got even with 100% and ccb was 18 bux a day... and while that was affordable for me, because my dh works n what not, i could see it being too expensive for a single mother. especially if it were multiple times a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on 7 years at home! I only lasted 8 months before I went back to work p/t. I was starting to imagine that I could pack up and leave my dh to it. That was a wake up call for me and I had to make changes. Work made my life so much better. When my son turned 2 I put him in daycare 4 days each week. I also work one evening so I can get a break from the night routine too.

Good on you for feeling brave enough to admit it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi op, have you thought about going back to tafe to study. That way you could do a course in something you are passionate about instead of just finding any job you could eventually be in a career you are happy about?
    I understand you said daycare is expensive but have you spoken to centre link about thier JET program. Which as a single mother studying full time you will be eligible for. I think on this program daycare cost $1 per day per child. This is available for about 1.5 years only though but long enough to complete a course. Then when all your kiddies are in school you can begin your career path.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It does get tiring doesn't it.I would love to put my middle child into daycare a few days a week as she just drains me (adore her but omg!) and she needs to extra stimulation and since I work from home it's hard to give her my all.DS1 is the easiest baby ever so I can't complain there but DD2 really needs more and day care would be great for her.Its 83 dollars a day here.I think we will end up paying about 4O something so were looking into getting her in at least once a week.

My eldest will be at big school next year too and I feel bad for saying it but I can't wait!! I am so exhausted.I am stuck in WA with the raaf where I know only a handful of people (who I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my kids with,mostly single boys lol) and no family so hubby and I have never had a night alone and the only time I'm alone is when I do groceries. I'm dying to move back over near family and get a break!