+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing... Fingers crossed the chick made it.

Hubbing from my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have told her.
    If she thinks the chick is dead what are you going to say if it recovers?
    I think it would confuse her if she thinks things can com back from the dead and that death isn't final.
    However in saying that the first thing I would have done is take the chicken to the vet instead of letting it suffer overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I would Come clean and tell her it survived but it might still die and let her nurse it and care for it.. It's a good lesson in life. Don't be hard on yourself we all have these aaaah what now parenting moments.

Oh and you will always get the holier than thou people on here too...it makes them feel better about themselves...these are generally the crappiest parents!

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing to know of the chick made it too! I hope it did !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    This is an old thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a very old thread but here's the update....the chicken recovered (medication, stitches etc) and I told DD1 (who is 10 and knows very well that things CAN'T come back from the dead!) that it could still die at any point and it did 3 weeks later it finally succumbed to it's injuries even though they had healed very well there was damage done to the skull including fracture etc so it really had little chance of survival anyway.

For those of you who keep saying take it to the vet etc seriously would you spend $65 on a consultation fee then extra on x-rays, medication, stitches etc for a $5 chicken that was only ever intended to end up on the dining table anyway?

Sorry but I wouldn't especially not when I was due to have a baby, had birthdays coming up and christmas around the corner.....I wish I was made of money like some people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you did the right thing. We can't shelter them from everything. Let her learn and mourn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmetius View Post
    This is a very old thread but here's the update....the chicken recovered (medication, stitches etc) and I told DD1 (who is 10 and knows very well that things CAN'T come back from the dead!) that it could still die at any point and it did 3 weeks later it finally succumbed to it's injuries even though they had healed very well there was damage done to the skull including fracture etc so it really had little chance of survival anyway.

For those of you who keep saying take it to the vet etc seriously would you spend $65 on a consultation fee then extra on x-rays, medication, stitches etc for a $5 chicken that was only ever intended to end up on the dining table anyway?

Sorry but I wouldn't especially not when I was due to have a baby, had birthdays coming up and christmas around the corner.....I wish I was made of money like some people
    Fair enough you don't want to spend the money on a chicken you intend on eating, but if that's the case then you should have mustered up the strength to put it out of its misery in the first place, or found someone else who could, and if you can't manage either of those perhaps reconsider keeping animals. Whether keeping animals for food or pets they all deserve the absolute best quality of life while they are alive, and to be treated with respect and as much humanity as possible at the end of their lives.
    Last edited by bada; 14-02-2012 at 09:08.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bada For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (14-02-2012),BrookeandLou  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think maybe next time you could take it to the vet and ask them to kill it for you. Or force yourself to do it.
    Poor thing would have suffered a lot for the last weeks of its life . It is honorable that you tried to keep it alive but if it was that badly injured it would have been kinder just to kill it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bada View Post
    Fair enough you don't want to spend the money on a chicken you intend on eating, but if that's the case then you should have mustered up the strength to put it out of its misery in the first place, or found someone else who could, and if you can't manage either of those perhaps reconsider keeping animals. Whether keeping animals for food or pets they all deserve the absolute best quality of life while they are alive, and to be treated with respect and as much humanity as possible at the end of their lives.
    I absolutely 100% agree with this. Owning animals comes with certain responsibilities and sacrifices. If you are not prepared to make the animal's well being a priority then please dont own them in the future. It is really very easy to humanely end a small chicks life. I will try to find some info on how we used to do it at the farm I used to work at. The hardest part is overcoming our own 'selfish' fear of performing the act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_S3P...eature=related