+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell DD1 the truth or not?

Ok so to cut a long story short...yesterday a bird of prey got into our chicken coup and attacked one of our chicks picked it up and tried to fly off....the chick was too heavy or the bird didn't have the right grip whatever the chicken fell and DD1 witnessed this....it was also her chick...Upon examining the chick I figured it had no hope of survival so sent DD1 away so I could put it out of pain...I couldn't do it...I called DH and he couldn't do it either so we decided to leave the chick be. DD1 thinks the chick is dead which we thought too...she spent the night crying and was completely distraught and VERY mad at me because I couldn't save it. DD1 thinks because I can fix most things with cats and dogs that I can fix everything with all animals and I can work miracles....I wish I could but unfortunately I can't.

This morning I went down to bury it and it's not dead....it's still not good but it has improved slightly from yesterday. I now have the chick locked in my room and have been giving it fluids, cleaned it wounds etc

So now I am torn do I tell DD1 that the chick is currently still alive and bring her some happiness and take away that pain she felt yesterday or do I not tell her anything. I don't know if the chick will live yes it has improved but that doesn't mean much and I would hate to tell her it's alive and give her hope only to end up taking that away from her again but at the same time I hate seeing her so hurt and upset...

What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    that's a hard one
    I'd probably wait a bit to make sure it will live. depends on your dd
    if you think she could handle knowing that it only MAY get better then tell her

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    oh and hope the chick lives for you guys <3

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    that's the thing normally she knows when I say I will try my hardest to save an animal but it may not live that there's a chance it will die but she is ok with that and usually 9 times out of 10 they don't die but she took this really hard I guess because it's her pet and she saw it...all the others have been rescues or a pet (her cat a few weeks ago was attacked by the neighbors dog when it got into our yard) but she hasn't seen it happen.

I think this time around all she would hear is it's still alive she wouldn't hear anything that followed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the initial sting of her chicks death is over... So I wouldn't tell her unless I was 100% sure it would live.

If it doesnt make it, you won't have to tell her again, if it does... You can be the hero mummy

This message proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device. Beep beep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't tell her. She has hopefully started to "get over" (for want of a better term) the initial bad news and I wouldn't want her to have to go through that again if it doesn't make it. If it does make it then you can make her day with the good news!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so I just went in and gave the chicks wounds another clean up and then forced it to have a little more water. It started chirping a little and even had a couple of 'bites' of food. I have put it's friend into a cage right next to the injured chicks cage as I noticed when the injured one hears the other it seems to have a little more strength if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just came accross this thread and reallllly need to know the outcome!! Did you tell your DD? Di the chick survive? I hope it all turned out ok! Your poor DD, feeling very sad for you both!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What happened what happened what happened??

*** end of transmission ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't see this before either but curious now! Oh I hope you told dd and lil chickie lived