+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Don't base your decision on the myschool website. It is an absolute joke.

You're better of visiting the school, taking a tour, meeting the principal and asking for a copy of the school's management plan and their annual report.
    I couldn't agree more.
    It is very important to go and talk to the school, take a tour duuring school hours so you can get a real feeling for the school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    http://www.bis.org.au/?page_id=6

I think it's similar to steiner, but I think the closest steiner is in samford so I haven't looked at it due to distance.

I guess my concern about main****** schools is they could be autocratic and stifle creativity and encourage conformism.
    I can see some similarities. I was raised with Steiner philosophies and my dad was a teacher/educational developer for the Min of Ed in NZ. He swears by it for most kids.

I would've gone Steiner if there was a school near where we lived.

Our son has ASD, which made me loosen the purse strings. He'll have the same teacher from prep up until middle school, then the same teacher for all of middle school, different teachers for individual subjects for high school of course. So the familiarity with his ways and the acceptance that kids all learn/develop at their own rate is awesome for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://northpine.adventistconnect.org/

Can anyone check this one out and tell me what you tgink?

It didnt really give muxh info about the education. But it looks like a food school.

Though am confused, because in one part it sounds like you have to religious to go...? Im not sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    It says they welcome all religious backgrounds and that you just need to respect Christianity

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The best thing to do is to go & see the schools you might be interested in, get a tour and speak to the Principal. I got a really good (or bad) feel for the schools we looked at by doing that. Other people are going to have good & bad experiences at every school and it will depend on them, their children, their expectations, etc and that may not be relevant to you.

We chose to send our ds to private school from 4yo Kindergarten mostly because he is gifted in literacy and numeracy, but quite quiet socially. We wanted a school that would keep him interested in schooling and give him challenges where he needs it. None of the local public schools manage giftedness well in our area and not many of the private schools either unfortunately. It's going to be difficult financially (already is) for the next few years, but when I can work a bit more we'll manage financially to send him to the school, so that wasn't a major issue for us.

My parents sent me to a private school from Grade 3 cause the local public school wasn't good for me. I'd had the same teacher for 2 of the 3 years and she was a particularly bad teacher who didn't understand me at all. It was a massive struggle financially for my parents to send me to the private school, but they never regretted the decision. What they did regret is leaving my brother in the same school (he was 2 years younger than me) and after he had 3 teachers in 1 year (for Grade 4) they put him in a private school too. He had learning difficulties (mild) and so having bad teachers and teachers that constantly changed was particularly bad for him.

If you're happy with your current public school there is no massive need to change, especially if it means you'll miss out on family time outside of school hours and have to work to pay school fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It really comes down to the AREA more so than the public/private issue. I went to a private school but now I'm a teacher in a state school. Both in the same geographical location. The state school is hands down a million times better. The private did have fancier resources - but you'll find half the time the students don't even get to use them, they're mostly used for hirers!