+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    All these things are a possibility at your local public school, another language, arts, smaller maths groups etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends what area you live in. Hubby and I are moving to a good area but unfortunatrly the surrounding areas have bad reps and the schools have a lot of behaviour issues etc.
    I will be sending my kids to private schools when i have them.
    I think for primary school public is fine, and would be more likely to send my kids to a private highschool.
    The benefits of private is(generally) smaller class sizes, more teacher aide time and support teacher time, more extra curricular activities, higher ecucational expectations, stricter behehaviour expectations (so less class disruptions etc) and offer buses to and fro...I think its worth looking into, definately

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It really depends on the school re scholarship.

They school provides everything eg. all books, pens, pencils etc.. The only extras I have to pay for is camp once they hit high school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    there are a few single mums at our school...it's a non issue socially if that what you are worried about. i do know that they get help from family with the fees.

I chose a non denom school...i am not religious and want my kids to make that decision for myself later.

There are loads of opportunities for the kids at our school (small private 600 kids from prep-12, not one of the elite) but i have not thoroughly explored the secondary part yet being that my son is only in junior school. If, when the time comes, he cannot do the subjects he wants then we will investigate. I am keen on him doing the bacelauriate (shocking spelling, sorry).

Private schools often offer scholarships...specially for girls. There are exams that can be sat in later years as well (which my son will do on the off chance we can get a scholarship).

it is a huge financial commitment for us...i am studying to be a teacher so that i can be working and cover the fees once DD starts too. I do feel it is worth it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow one of my local private schools is $6000 and that's for prep - it goes up almost every year!

Now I will most certainly be aiming for that but ATM there is just no way we could afford it.

Ah, there's no bigger gift you can give to your child than a good education (besides love, of course). Just so hard finding the right place!

I'd go with a list of questions in your mind about everything you want education wise for the interview. Most schools would be happy to give you a tour etc if you are interested but just not 100%

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    there are a few single mums at our school...it's a non issue socially if that what you are worried about. i do know that they get help from family with the fees.

I chose a non denom school...i am not religious and want my kids to make that decision for myself later.

There are loads of opportunities for the kids at our school (small private 600 kids from prep-12, not one of the elite) but i have not thoroughly explored the secondary part yet being that my son is only in junior school. If, when the time comes, he cannot do the subjects he wants then we will investigate. I am keen on him doing the bacelauriate (shocking spelling, sorry).

Private schools often offer scholarships...specially for girls. There are exams that can be sat in later years as well (which my son will do on the off chance we can get a scholarship).

it is a huge financial commitment for us...i am studying to be a teacher so that i can be working and cover the fees once DD starts too. I do feel it is worth it...
    Oh no no not worried about it being a social issue or anyyhing like that, just wondering how many single mums actually afford it (just need some hope that it can be done) and interested to see what their budgets are and how they make it work and so on.

Yea i was actually surprised she said $3000 a year. I honestly thought she would say maybe $3000 a month or a term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Our school has a capped fee's. The cap is 7700 for school 3 or more students and if you have a pre prep $8000 (but you can get cc rebate for pre prep) If you
    from memory a single student is around 3000.

From the school site
    The structure of our fees provides generous sibling discounts assisting larger families to access the College and a Fee Support Scheme is offered to families on low income or who have special circumstances.

I currently have 4 going and next year my eldest is leaving to go to uni but my youngest is starting. At some point I will have 5 kids going for that price.
    Single parents and low income earners pay less.

edited if you want I will pm the school website so yu can see the price's for youself.
    Ohh and catholic school are often cheaper again.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 25-10-2011 at 20:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm really torn with this. I went private all the way through, DH did both public and private. He would prefer her to go private as he believes his final results were a result of his school (public) having a very low ranking for OP.
    Prep starts at 3k for the one I'd like to send her to, but they do ballet, learn French, have an art and music program, as well as all the usual academic programs. They do have an option for salary sacrifice to pay for fees, as well as scholarships for sport/academic once they get older, and I believe hardship scholarships also for all ages. There are discounts for paying up front/cash as well as for siblings.
    I'm not sure if I would send my kids private if I had to work two jobs to do it, maybe go public and pay if you an for a tutor to bring up their basic reading/writing/arithmetic if you wish so they're not starting off at a disadvantage in high school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    All these things are a possibility at your local public school, another language, arts, smaller maths groups etc.
    At the ones near me they are poss ible if you can concentrate with child ren *** aulting one another and teachers who have to only deal with bad behaviour ins tead of teaching the child ren. Not all schools are the s ame. The 2 we have to choose from are very poor schools that I wouldn't rely on for the ed ucation of my child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    Our school has a capped fee's. The cap is 7700 for school 3 or more students and if you have a pre prep $8000 (but you can get cc rebate for pre prep) If you
    from memory a single student is around 3000.

From the school site
    The structure of our fees provides generous sibling discounts assisting larger families to access the College and a Fee Support Scheme is offered to families on low income or who have special circumstances.

I currently have 4 going and next year my eldest is leaving to go to uni but my youngest is starting. At some point I will have 5 kids going for that price.
    Single parents and low income earners pay less.

edited if you want I will pm the school website so yu can see the price's for youself.
    Ohh and catholic school are often cheaper again.
    Yea sure that would be great thank you