+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Public school for my children. I'm a public school teacher, so I am probably biased

I've been to both and found I had more opportunities in the public school.

I was talking to a woman at swimming lessons, and she told me that at her daughter's primary school (private) that there are 31 children in the kindergarten class That is over 50% more than what is allowed in a kindergarten class in a NSW public school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't work two jobs for private.

I think it depends on your suburb as we. I have no qualms about our local public school.

I am going to look into n independent school as its philosophy interests me. But it's a middle class hippy type school, not a religious or elite private school, neither of which I would choose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We sarfice a lot so our kids can go to a private christian school. For us it very impotant. We love our school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    We sarfice a lot so our kids can go to a private christian school. For us it very impotant. We love our school.
    Do you find they have more learning opportunties in their school?
    Better chances for uni?
    Do you know if there are many single mums with kids there?

Just trying to figure out if it is possible moneywise sendin 2 kids (even after cutting back on things we dont need)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    Better chances for uni?

Just trying to figure out if it is possible moneywise sendin 2 kids (even after cutting back on things we dont need)
    It's true that more students from private schools go to university, but there are several reasons for that, including the fact that there would be more expectations from parents who send their kids to private school for their children to go to university. Having said that, once at university, several Australian studies have proven that students from public schools do better than private school
    students at university.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Better chances for uni?

I know this was not at me but I'll answer anyway. That was a school on my short-list but I chose another one. They have a lot of opportunities at that school. The fact that it's from Pre-Prep to Year 12 was of interest to me but I chose another P-12 school. The 2 are similar but the one I chose is a little cheaper. It also offers more support for those with Autism or other barriers .

I'm a sole parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes and No, yes in the younger years, especially for those that are talented and those that need learning support. In the older grades there is less subject choice due to small class/small school. Our school does have the policy if 2 or more kids want to do a subject they will put it on. If only one child wants it the they support them through distance ed. There is a lot of free extra help, tutoring etc offered to all students.

Better chances for uni?

Yes, there is a higher rate of people going on to uni. Being a smaller school also helps with getting a higher op etc.... (which I personally hate how the system is done)

Do you know if there are many single mums with kids there? Lots, most private schools offer discounts to single parent and low income families. (like us)

Ring the school your interested in and ask what the fees are like and if they have a discount program available. Some have scholarships, sibling discounts, health care card discounts etc..........

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I am going to look into n independent school as its philosophy interests me. But it's a middle class hippy type school, not a religious or elite private school, neither of which I would choose.
    Steiner?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I know this was not at me but I'll answer anyway. That was a school on my short-list but I chose another one. They have a lot of opportunities at that school. The fact that it's from Pre-Prep to Year 12 was of interest to me but I chose another P-12 school. The 2 are similar but the one I chose is a little cheaper. It also offers more support for those with Autism or other barriers .

I'm a sole parent.
    Oh ok cool. And sorry if this is to personal of a question. But how do you find your money situation in affording it? Are you on centrelink and working? Thats my main concern, affording 2 kids in private school. Im on centrelink and work, but still with both of tgose i dont get a huge amount.

My friend said she pays around about $3000 a yr, but said it gets higher for highschool (in regards to tgings they require, laptops, and books and so on)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    Ring the school your interested in and ask what the fees are like and if they have a discount program available. Some have scholarships, sibling discounts, health care card discounts etc..........
    What do you think my dd would require to be consider for a scholarship?

And also for all those reading, what do you think i should be looking for in a private school, i want another language to be learnt, and something for her creativite -art/dance. And id love her to excell in maths. Preferably smaller class sizes

But what else would you expect from private schools?