+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Decisions decisions!! Help please!

Hi everyone
    After reading so much on hear and researching all over the net, I need some extra help
    I want to use cloth for baby number 2 ( on the way)
    Can you tell me if this seems like the right way to go?
    Prefolds when bub is born then move to a OSFM pocket ( can use prefolds as inserts if i run low) maybe greenkids or issy bears pockets ???
    I like the idea of pockets to there is only one layer inside so easy to take a liner off and rinse I would imagine and bub is due before winter so I need something relatively quick drying it gets very cold and wet were I am.
    Also what is your opinion on prefold fabric? Cotton or bamboo blend?
    And is snaps better that Velcro or aplix? I just have visions if nappies coming undone!
    I have tried dd1 now 18 months in a cushie tushie AIO and is ok on get hut would be huge in a newby!!
    All you info is MUCH appreciated girls
    Thank you !

The Crunchy Mum is offline BH Blogger - Cloth Nappies and Babywearing
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like your research is going well... you've pretty much hit the nail.

There is no one single right way to the process. But I think majority of people find prefolds the best for newborns because:
    1. They are cheap - and you need a good number of them at the very early stage
    2. They are effective - when coupled with a good cover, they do a good job at containing explosive poo in, the cover acts as a second layer of protection to contain the messes in
    3. They are versatile - can double up as burp cloths or wiping up messes and as you say, can be used as stuffers for pockets down the track

However there will be a small learning curve at the start when trying out different folding techniques. Here are some examples of the types of folds I like.

As for the choice between cotton vs. bamboo:
    1. Cotton - cheaper, dries faster
    2. Bamboo - a little pricier, but more absorbent, if you get the bamboo velour type, they feel amazing and you'll probably feel good putting it on bub

Your reason for thinking of pockets (i.e. one layer, easy to just remove poo) is one of the reasons I like them as well. And yes, the 'shell' dries quickly so even in winter you can have the used ones back in circulation rapidly, and have plenty of inserts/stuffers on hand.

Some people don't like unstuffing the wet inserts (personally I don't mind). Alternatively you can get the types that agitate out the insert themselves in the wash.

I like snaps better as they look nicer and in the long term they last longer and would guard better against a toddler with exploratory fingers. However some people prefer velcro/applix as they give a better fit. I also have velcro ones to put in my son's daycare bag as the carer find velcro easier to use. I want to keep it simple for them and minimise any complaints for being willing to take on cloth for him.

Overall, the biggest advice I believe almost everyone will say here is to get a variety of different sorts, not just stick to one brand/type. You'll find your preference for certain types will change over time as your routine changes and baby's shape and size develops

This guide on the pros/cons on the various newborn cloth nappies might help.
    Last edited by The Crunchy Mum; 25-10-2011 at 14:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! What amazing info!
    Thanks so much for taking the time, I will checkout those links
    Do you have an opinion on inserts? Hemp bamboo or zorb??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartmummy View Post
    Wow! What amazing info!
    Thanks so much for taking the time, I will checkout those links
    Do you have an opinion on inserts? Hemp bamboo or zorb??
    You're welcome Heartmummy.... here are my thoughts on inserts... not an expert opinion but just general stuff based on my experience...

Hemp - very absorbent but takes longer to dry. also might retain smells over time. but easily fixable by doing an extra rinse down the track.

Bamboo - good absorbency, but also takes a while to dry. however some bamboo fleece type material dries fairly quickly.

zorb/microfibre - good absorbency and dries quickly. i'm not as familiar with zorb as it's a new fabric in the market. from what i can tell it's similar to microfibre. microfibre sometimes has a tendency to retain smells over time, but as with hemp, just needs a good rinse/strip wash down the track.

I personally favour bamboo. But I also have hemp and microfibre in the stash which I don't mind using. I generally just reach for whatever is there. I pretty much built the mix based on various mcns I've accumulated over time. E.g. I might have bought a couple of really cute prints or taken advantage of a sale. So whatever inserts they came with are just what get added to the stash.

I mostly use cotton prefolds - whether folded or as pocket stuffers when I'm at home as I don't mind changing him whenever I need to. I like them because I have lots of them and they dry fast. It's also because I sort of want to 'save' the more absorbent inserts (bamboo/hemp/microfibre) for going out so my bub will feel comfortable for a longer stretch (however if he does a poo, I of course change him immediately no matter what type of nappy he's wearing)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excellent advise, thanks again.
    I feel I'm on the right track because what you said us what I'm thinking!
    I think I will go with bamboo and get some zorb boosters. Buy the time summer comes round I can use my prefolds as an insert on a hot day at home and change when I need to like you said
    I know I'm sorted as to what I want, now us the dreaded task of choosing the brands!
    I'm finding out the sex of my baby so might wait and choose some cute gender appropriate colors.
    What pockets do you have? Any favs to kick me off??

Thanks
    Reviews
    oooohhh... brands... that's a big can of worms there!

i know the feeling... it's so exciting - like being a kid in a candy shop. but can be overwhelming as well.

too many brands out there, but the common ones that seem to perform well are baby beehinds, greenkids, grovia and cushie tushies.

my current fav pocket nappy in my stash is baby beehinds multifit. bright colours, never had a leak, great absorbency - used it overnight (DS already sleeping through) without a single complaint from bub throughout the night

another top fav brand is itti bitti. however they are not pockets but snap-in-ones. they are liked by a lot of people for their signature trim style and cute colours/designs. though some folks find the trim style not suitable for chubbier bubs.

i can't speak for all brands but i'm sure other mums will chime in with other brands they can recommend. take note that one brand might be absolutely hated by one person but will have someone else singing high praises about it. the most common complaint for the ones that hate a brand seems to be about the fit. all babies are different, so it might be a case that for some reason (be it skinny legs, chubby thighs, big tummies, small waist) a nappy just doesn't fit well and results in leaks and blowouts.

my overall opinion is that the majority brands generally perform well (otherwise they wouldn't be in business anymore). but there will always be a minority that find that it just doesn't work for them. if you ever encounter an issue, there's no drama because cloth nappies have a fairly good resale value. so you can easily sell or swap them to get something else.

also a nappy that doesn't fit well at one stage, may actually become a favourite later on when baby grows or changes. so you can also hang on to a brand for a while and try it on again down the track.

For me, I started with a big stash of just mostly prefolds, flats and covers, and 7-8 mcns of 4-5 different brands. my bub was too small to really wear the one-size-fits-most type nappies anyway, so no point buying so many. i then picked up a other mcns along the way... either i saw a promo/sale... or i saw a really unique nappy made by a WAHM... or read some reviews and decided to try a particular brand. but i keep a check of myself (my husband does as well)... otherwise mcn buying can be an addictive activity which will eventually defeat the cost-savings purpose of going cloth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My all out 2 favourite nappies (which happen to be one size fits most) are the BumGenius 4.0 and the GroVia AIO. My youngest is a huge kid, but these 2 still fit him like a glove. The best bit is, they are TRIM! Seriously, the GroVia in particular looks like a disposable under clothes. They last for hours too and I never get leaks.

BumGenius are also bringing out a new "Freetime" nappy, u should check it out! =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks louloup, good advise.
    Iv gone nuts the last 2 days bought 1 issy bear, then 3 more cause loved them both sales on eBay and a used nappy trading website
    Also bought an AIO from a WAHM called little britches, she makes AIO's. With zorb,and gorgeous yellow minky fabric!
    I think Im addicted!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive bought a huge variety of MCNs over the past 16mo... Recently packed them all away and have swapped to Mio Bambino!! Love them!!

No leaks, I can soak and bleach them, they dry inside in a couple of hours and they werent too expensive- I got them on sale so wasn't expensive but when I looked online their RRP is a bit pricey I also stocked up in all the tiny size pilchers for bub#2 in Feb.

I'll never go back to AIOs or AI2s that's for sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, I decided to keep it simple and just use Bumgenius 4.0 (OSFM pocket nappy). I didn't want heaps of different types of nappies and these do newborn to toddler in one nappy. I am so happy with them and got them from the USA much cheaper than here. I prefer snaps.