+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DP would love to be a SAHD but realistically although I earn more than him, I could take extended time off from my job and still be able to return to my same position with nothing lost.
    If he were to take time off he would have to resign and getting back into the workforce for him would be a lot tougher.
    Plus he sucks at cooking and cleaning so I'd have to do most of that to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DH stayed at home for about 6 months when DD was 6 months and I went back to work. He was amazing, he kept the house clean, cooked dinner (well, until I got sick of his same 3 meals I started cooking a little more ) and took DD to all her activities.

It was so good for our relationship too, I think when he was at work and I was at home, he thought being a stay at home parent was easy and that you got to spend the day lazing about, so it was a real shock to the system with how full on only 1 kid can be!

When we eventually have #2 we'll probably do a similar thing He loved his time at home and it was great for both of them to have that one on one time so young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I highly recommend it. My DH is a SAHD. I took 6 months off for DS1 and went back to work and DH stayed home. We don't have family to help and we didn't want DS1 in childcare five days/week and DH was happy to give it a go. Yes, some things don't get done as well (or at all) but I loved that he took him to playgroups (one that was actually a dad's playgroup) and they'd go on little outings together. DH started looking for part-time work after we managed to find DS1 a childcare we were both happy with but then I fell pregnant again (happily, a complete accident after going through hell to have DS1). He was worried about getting back into the workforce but it's actually been a bit of an advantage having time off. He's more focussed and potential employers are pretty comfortable (and some are impressed) that he took time out of the workforce. (I often wonder whether women are afforded the same luxury?). The worst bit is his friends and family thinking he does nothing all day and that he's being slack and that he'll never get a job since he left a good one. Pathetic. I wouldn't cop that attitude if I took time off.

I know some of you have said your DH earns more than you but, if you can afford it, see if he can take three months or so off (leave without pay or whatever) and give it a crack. DS1 has the most amazing relationship with DH. Even though I bf DS1, even after returning to work, DH learnt how to do settling and everything else.

Do it.

I'd also love to hear other stories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Chickpea - I think you were in my June 2010 group?

We're also doing the same thing after this lot of mat leave for me - both working part-time so we can both have time with the kids. We've kept DS1 in childcare for two days/week even when DH was looking for work and I was still at work - it did loads for his confidence and it has paid off in spades.

But we both want to spend as much time as we can with our kids and we've had to make a lot of changes to do so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I go back to work next year DH will go part time and be a sahd- it's his dream and my job is higher paying so it makes sense but I'm not sure he realises it's not that easy and he won't be able to work from home in those days!