+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DF isn't a SAHD but he does have our kids more than I do (when I am not on maternity leave). He works an even time roster that essentially works out that he works 5 days on then has 5 days off, while I work mon-fri.

He does well. He takes DS1 to the park etc and he does a lot of the house work. I still do at least half of the house work and we split the duties once I am home from work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think my DH would love to be a SAHD but he earns way more than I could in my field, my dad passed away a few weeks ago and DH did everything, the house looked amazing and he's a great hands on dad so I don't have to worry about DS at all while he's in his care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dh has been a sahd dor like 6 years now i think. Ive worked fulltime for all of it except for 4 months off having our second child. Hes much more house trained than i am but i really really wish we could swap back now but there is no possibke way as he has been out of the workforce fir so long he wouldnt get a job paying what i get to make it worth while

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH would love to be a SAHD! It just made more sense for me to be the one to step away from work, as I needed time off for the birth.

I think he'd be great at it, but it works better for me to be the main one doing it right now, just for work reasons.

As for housework... well I don't see that as part of my SAHM duties, so I wouldn't see that as his role either!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad was the SAHP for a year or so when I was a child. It was really different - Dad was a lot more organized so always had lunches organized (for the siblings at school), always up early preparing for the day, and was a lot more on top of housework than Mum has ever been (she just hates housework!!)

BUT, Mum was a lot more fun and creative as a SAHM. She would abandon all housework to play with us. I'm not saying Dad wasn't fun, but he just wasn't one for making up games or doing things like craft or painting.

Dad stayed at home while Mum worked as a necessity - he lost his job because he couldn't drive, and as we lived out of town he found it impossible to find other employment. But, I'm grateful that we all had the opportunity to spend more time with him, and I think it made both Mum and Dad appreciate what each other did.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    My DH would be a sahd if I let him, but I won't haha!:P
    Mine too, haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my ds was 1 I went back to full time work and my dh stayed home part time, only working a 3 day week. He loved it and it was great for my dh & ds to bond so well. The house was always spotless and well organised too (I'm dreadful at housework - working on it though). It can be quite socially isolating though, cause there aren't many group type activities for dads & kids during the week, but I think that dh didn't mind that so much.

We're about to reassess things again as our dd approaches 1 and I think about increasing my work hours, but I think for now my dh will work full time (his work is now hard to do part time) and I will now be the part time worker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DH would love to be a SAHD, but he earns more than I do and it would be a huge financial hit for us if he did stay home. He'd be pretty amazing at it tbh, he plays heaps with the girls and they love it. But the housework does my head in even now (I work 4 days a week and leave the house at 6am so he gets the girls ready for the day and takes them to school/daycare). I'll often get home from work and have to clean up the breakfast things, do washing, tidy the house. It's quite hard really
    But, the girls are so happy with him so I just shut up and get the housework done

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dp wants to be a sahd when the time comes. My job is more secure and I earn more so it makes more financial sense, also I've already been a sahm with my 2 children and I think it would be a great experience for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dh too wants to be a sahp. It's our plan that after our last child is 1yo- he'll take a few years off and I'll go ft.

He is superb with the girls but not so good with balancing housework/cooking/Childcare. This past year where I've worked on dh's days off I've had to make sure dinner was ready before I left for work.