+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dh would be an amazing SAHD - better than me at getting housework done etc.
    BUT - he also earns a lot more than I have the potential to, so at this point it's not an option, even though he would love it.
    My boss's DH is a SAHD though and she loves it that way - so it definitely can work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DH isn't a SAHD but i know someone was and it worked very well for their family. The mum was happier working and the dad was happier being the at home parent.
    I think it definitely can work but it has to be for the right reasons - if he wants to be a SAHD because he thinks it was easy then he is in the shock of his life. Also i would sit down and discuss what you both expect first - will he do the housework, will he be getting up at night or does he expect you to fully take over when you are home etc etc.
    A trial would be a good idea - i think sometimes the idea of being a SAHP doesn't match the reality and he may hate it, best to see how he would go on a trial basis first.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bestie's DH is a SAHD. He quit his job which he hated and wanted a 'break'. Needless to say she comes home at the end of each day to do all of the housework and cooking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH works weekends whilst I work midweek. He is a fantastic SAHD. The housework isn't always done, but then I don't always have time at the weekend. It depends on how clingy ds is. The best thing is that we both appreciate how hard (but rewarding) it is looking after a little one. And we have a happy bubby.

Sent from my X10a using Bubhub

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a full time worker while Dh works 3 days a week and has 2 days with our DS. I wouldn't have it another way he is an amazing father and it is so beautiful to watch them together and hear about what they did

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (25-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do a trial for sure my dh works 3 day and does uni and looks after ds. He earns a lot less but it wasn't the plan when i was preggers until he decided to go back to uni. He is great at taking care of ds. House work... Not so much. But on the days de is at daycare and dh is at work i come home and clean for an hour then have an hour to myself. Im happy with that for now!

Sent from my iphone, excuse my mistakes, i have big thumbs.
    Me 26 + DH 25 baby eric 13/08/2010

MyAlterEgo is offline Love my hubby, my kids, my life what more could I want.... oh yes another bubba
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH loves the idea of being a full time SAHD but in reality he mentally wouldn't cope long term (has history of depression), he is a great dad and is a hands on parent until there are tantrums he can't handle them & he literally walks out if kids are having a tantrum cause he can't handle the noise.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Bubhub
    Last edited by MyAlterEgo; 25-10-2011 at 08:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner is going to be a SAHD. I'll be going back to work full time when the baby is about six weeks old and he's going to be the primary care-giver after that. He has been completely awesome with the housework while I've been pregnant so I have no concerns about that. He's less anxious about everything than me and he's wonderful with children. Plus, I spent ten years studying to get the job I've got now, which I love, and I earn nearly twice what he does. He hates his current job and can't wait to be a full-time dad. Everybody wins!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wondering how this is working for those with partners as SAHD in 2012? If/when we get a BFP we will be planning for DH to be a SAHD, as I earn far more than him and getting the mortgage paid means I need to keep working. DH doesn't speak much English and has been learning at TAFE so we are hoping he will get a PT child-care place at TAFE so he can continue his course.

Luckily he is an amazing househubby, much better than I am with housework and even recently made the effort to learn to cook a bunch of great meals. Also he is DYING to be a dad and since I'm 40 knows this is our only chance, so he's very very keen to try. I feel so lucky to have such an open-minded partner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think before it actually happens you would need to sit down and discuss exactly what will become his responsibility around the house.