+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default He wants to be a sahd

Does anyone else's hubby/ partner want to be a sahd? Mine does. I agreed to let him raise our third child and I'll go back to work full time. I currently work two days a week and we have one child 18 months old and he works full time. So essentially we'd swap roles. I can earn the same as him but would work less hours so it makes sense financially. However I think he thinks it is a walk in the park working part time and being a sahm. I don't think he'd do the house work, etc...

So is you partner a sahd? Does he do a good job of the house chores? Do you feel like you are missing out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my partner isnt a sahd, its not his biological child, i just found it amusing that your partner thinks it will be a walk in the park looking after a child full time he doesnt know what he is in for hehehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know how well my DH would do but his uncle is a SAHD and is amazing. Does the housework, packs lunches, walks the kids to school, etc. I don't know how it is emotionally for the mum, being seperated from their children though. I'd also like to say kudos for considering something that is (for lack of a better word) different. Despite the fact that we've progressed so far it's still too often that it's expected that the man goes out to work and the woman raises the children. I'm not referring here to those that chose this role, it's still my choice too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Can you give him a trial?

After 2 years of 'what do you do all day?' and 'I wish I could just stay home all day' df was supposed to be part time sahd while I went back to PART TIME study.

2 weeks later he asked me to enroll Jasper at daycare. LOL. Failed.

Funnily enough he does a lot more around the house since then

He even now actually does have Jasper about one day a fortnight - which I think is enough for him.

Though he doesn't cope being idle. Like he can't just let jasper play with his toys and potter around the house, he actually does heaps more with Jasper than I do - they go on adventures together, which is lovely, but it's not sustainable energy wise and I come home from work and cook dinner and put Jasper to bed. Cos I appreciate how hard it is to spend all day doing stuff with Jasper.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 24-10-2011 at 20:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My brother will be home full time with the baby from January next year while his wife works full time. The baby will be 8 months old but he's better with the baby now than she is. He only works part-time and when he's at work her parents are there to help her but when she's out he can cope without any help. He cooks and cleans and does most of the activities with the baby now even when he's working. He takes the baby to s wimming lessons and playgroup. He does bath time before work then after work. He does most of the nappy changes and all of the sleep times. If he's not home the baby d oesn't have a sleep. Lucky he only works 6 hours a d ay and only 3 days a week through term time and all school holid ays he's home full time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hubby is a SAHD and has been doing it for 3 months & he loves it & it works for us. He does all the housework & cooking & looking after Nayte. I know he loves it but sometimes it is hard cos u cope flack & finding other dads to hang out with. We have found a play group near us & I still see my mothers group once a month on Saturdays.

I work fulltime as I earn lots more it was quite hard when I first went back but I felt comfy knowing that Nayte was happy with his dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My DH would be a sahd if I let him, but I won't haha!:P

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dh was a sahd for a few months after a work accident meant he just couldn't go to work so i worked fulltime. He was great, he's quite a clean freak so no issues with housework not getting done. He is an amazing hands on father still, i am so lucky as are our ds's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hubby will be a SAHD once I get settled and get a job. I know he will do great I think it is a great opportunity to be able to raise a child and would love for him to experience that among other reasons. I worked with the 1st 3 kids and my ex did a good job taking care of the kids. I think men are wonderful caregivers society just seems to think they cant be but we will move forward

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dh would also love to be a sahd.... But I have the same reservations re housework etc. He did have ds one full day when I was working on his day off.... And some weeks they'd still be in bed when I got home :/