Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think its rude. Children cry sometimes. Yes we should be mindful of others but really, she shouldve been given an opportunity to calm her baby before asking her to leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    haven't read responses, but it's the Leader who are owned by fairfax, so i don't believe a word they print especially about touchy subjects such as this one.
    It is a true story. I've been having a FB argument...I mean discussion...with a woman who is part owner and friends with a friend. She is very unrepentant, which I think is actually terrible customer service. It could have been handled so much better.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wondergirl76 View Post
    It is a true story. I've been having a FB argument...I mean discussion...with a woman who is part owner and friends with a friend. She is very unrepentant, which I think is actually terrible customer service. It could have been handled so much better.
    I'm sure some version of it is a true story. I'd lean towards the owner's version of events tbh, just because i know of at least half a dozen leader stories where a member of the disgruntled public has gone to them with a very skewed version of events. A friend of mine knows lots of people who work for leader as she works for their competition and it's how they roll.
    I've asked someone to leave a certain space of the library because their baby was screaming its head off, and believe me i'm the biggest kids-in-public advocate you will ever meet. This baby screamed without taking a breath for about 5 minutes and i asked her if she wouldn't mind moving downstairs out of the quiet area until he calmed down. I don't care if you're 6 months or 60, if you're being extremely disruptive i'm going to ask you to move or stop. If she'd have gone to the Leader i could see the headline now 'Children's librarian says no kids in the library'

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    oh wow just realised i've been in that cafe a few times. My kid is a right little poo in cafes and we've never been asked to leave, so they must be pretty tolerant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've worked in the cafe industry for over 10 years, and it never ceases to amaze me when I read stuff like this, why people expect them to be quiet places?? The other staff and I are yelling at each other every shift to be heard over the top of deafening laughter from large groups, tipsy businessmen on long lunches, squealing girlfriends meeting up, lone diners shouting into their mobiles...etc etc. Yet a baby crying for a few minutes is disturbing the "peace".

It is in a cafe's interest to accommodate parents and young children- they are likely to be some of their most regular customers. I always try to remember how isolating it was being a new parent, instead of just thinking about my own comfort. You cannot choose who you share the space with- it's open to the public. Sure, I've seen kids running amok at work while oblivious parents sit by, or thought "Hmm, if that was my baby, I'd probably take it out for a walk now"- but these are by far the exceptions. They are also no more of an annoyance than any of the other customer types I just mentioned.

Like every complaint made to a business though, there are two sides (or more) to every story, who knows what actually happened. Maybe the kid was screaming for 10 minutes, in which case yes maybe she should have taken it outside, but if I were the barista I'd also hurry the hell up with that babycino.

Whilst I agree parents should be aware of their kids' behaviour and try to avoid disturbing others where possible, I also think it happens, and I'd love to ask rude customers who jump the coffee queue to leave too, but I can't.

I mean, it's a daytime coffee shop, not a nightclub. What do the anti-children-in-cafes brigade expect?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

cmd'smum  (13-09-2012),fairyflossfairy  (24-11-2011),Lillynix  (23-10-2011),smallpotatoes  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidSister View Post
    I've worked in the cafe industry for over 10 years, and it never ceases to amaze me when I read stuff like this, why people expect them to be quiet places?? The other staff and I are yelling at each other every shift to be heard over the top of deafening laughter from large groups, tipsy businessmen on long lunches, squealing girlfriends meeting up, lone diners shouting into their mobiles...etc etc. Yet a baby crying for a few minutes is disturbing the "peace".

It is in a cafe's interest to accommodate parents and young children- they are likely to be some of their most regular customers. I always try to remember how isolating it was being a new parent, instead of just thinking about my own comfort. You cannot choose who you share the space with- it's open to the public. Sure, I've seen kids running amok at work while oblivious parents sit by, or thought "Hmm, if that was my baby, I'd probably take it out for a walk now"- but these are by far the exceptions. They are also no more of an annoyance than any of the other customer types I just mentioned.

Like every complaint made to a business though, there are two sides (or more) to every story, who knows what actually happened. Maybe the kid was screaming for 10 minutes, in which case yes maybe she should have taken it outside, but if I were the barista I'd also hurry the hell up with that babycino.

Whilst I agree parents should be aware of their kids' behaviour and try to avoid disturbing others where possible, I also think it happens, and I'd love to ask rude customers who jump the coffee queue to leave too, but I can't.

I mean, it's a daytime coffee shop, not a nightclub. What do the anti-children-in-cafes brigade expect?
    That's pretty much how I feel word for word. I work in cafe's too. I stand by what I said earlier though. If it was 10 minutes then why on earth didn't they just give the kid her drink?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

fairyflossfairy  (24-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Geez the kid is still sooking in the damn photo they took for the article hahaha.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

veganmama  (23-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If the mother's version of events is true, I agree. The wait time must have been excessive if they hadn't even received their drinks yet.... Give the kid its milk froth and problem solved

I can hear others thinking "Just because you have a child with you doesn't give you the right to be served first" but when you work in customer service little tricks go a long way...I always try to get babycinos out as quickly as possible for this very reason...for the sake of the parents AND other customers. NB I wouldn't make the parent's coffee before others, just the cino which is just drabs of leftover milk anyway.

There's a big difference between a mother with a crying child being asked to leave an establishment, and an aggressive drunk in a pub being kicked out. No paying customer should ever be asked to leave unless they are threatening/intimidating others. No matter how annoying they are. If we could go around kicking everyone out who exhibited irritating behaviours we wouldn't be doing much business

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (23-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to absolutely cringe when someone would bring their kids in to the pub (I know this is a cafe, not a pub but bear with me) because so often they would just let them run feral and wild and I was the one who had to keep them from destroying the place and other people's days.

You'd be surprised how many people think places like restaurants, pubs and cafe's are places to "let the kids run free" and a lot of parents do nto supervise their kids at all! Its frustrating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidSister View Post
    If the mother's version of events is true, I agree. The wait time must have been excessive if they hadn't even received their drinks yet.... Give the kid its milk froth and problem solved

I can hear others thinking "Just because you have a child with you doesn't give you the right to be served first" but when you work in customer service little tricks go a long way...I always try to get babycinos out as quickly as possible for this very reason...for the sake of the parents AND other customers. NB I wouldn't make the parent's coffee before others, just the cino which is just drabs of leftover milk anyway.

There's a big difference between a mother with a crying child being asked to leave an establishment, and an aggressive drunk in a pub being kicked out. No paying customer should ever be asked to leave unless they are threatening/intimidating others. No matter how annoying they are. If we could go around kicking everyone out who exhibited irritating behaviours we wouldn't be doing much business