Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mum kicked out of cafe because her child was crying

http://northcote-leader.whereilive.c...-crying-child/

What do people think of this?

Personally I think it's pretty revolting. I actually take my child outside when crying, however I think this would have been so humiliating for the mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that both parties are to blame.

The stories differ - she says crying for 2 mins, he says 10.

Either way, I wouldn't take my 2yo DS out if he had just woken up and was recovering from a virus. Recipe for disaster there. No matter how badly I needed a coffee hit!

But I think for the cafe owner to ask her to leave is a bit OTT. He could have asked if she needed anything, if she wanted to go outside and calm her child etc and been more understanding of the situation. But then maybe she should have gone outside to calm her daughter too.

When we are out somewhere, if DS starts crying, we take him out for a walk. The distraction works wonders. He is then happy, we can eat our meal/coffee etc and other patrons aren't disturbed.

A bit of common courtesy both ways was needed here I think.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Karen Toohey, action commissioner of the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission, said it was unlawful for retailers to discriminate against people on the basis of parental or carer status.
    Thing is, from what I have read of the article, I can't she how she being discriminated against.

Business owners have a right to ensure their business is run efficiently and to the benefit of all customers, not just catering for one. If the woman was so deeply offended by the mere mention that her child was disrupting other customers then it's a good thing she left.

But one surely has to question: why the mother had a child outdoors when recovering from a viral infection? And why did she allow the child to remain in obvious distress and not opt to leave without having to be told?

This smacks of a level of selfishness I'm tired of seeing in this society. This woman has maligned this cafe due to the inconvenience she has faced, not her child, not the business. Why is it that motherhood means that you have blinkers on and a self administered god given right to ignore the needs of others because your own are far more important?

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InBetween For This Useful Post:

DaddyLarge  (23-10-2011),Lemmings  (23-10-2011),threechooks  (23-10-2011),veganmama  (23-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Storm in a teacup!!!

Personally I think she shouldn't have taken her child out if she had a) just woken and b) recovering from a virus!

The guy said she was crying for 10mins and he didn't ask her to leave just told her it was distracting customers!

IMO no discrimination here, her DD was obviously distressed, take her out and calm her down, your coffee fix can wait!!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (13-09-2012),InBetween  (23-10-2011),Lemonhead  (23-10-2011)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's dreadful.

I'm the mother of a very spirited toddler and it's one of my fears that I will be asked to leave an establishment because of something like this. I would be mortified if it happened to me, very upset and humiliated. I think it should have been approached differently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I dont believe the 10 minute thing. I'm basing that on my hospitality experience, she hadn't got her coffee yet, so unless they are just very, very bad workers, it generally wouldn't take ten minutes to get a coffee to a table. So I think he's lying. The weird part is he's a father if twins, so he should know better personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why the mother was out is not relevant. It's got nothing to do with the cafe's behaviour.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

cmd'smum  (13-09-2012),Pinkzy  (23-10-2011),srguitargirl  (23-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    So she's gone in, ordered a coffee & a babycino and was asked to leave before her order arrived.

If a cafe took longer than 10 minutes (as he said she was there for) to produce my coffee, I'd be crying too!!!

If it went down as described by the article I'm on her side. Asking a paying customer to leave before receiving their order, particularly as she has ordered for her toddler as well - and as is establishment doesn't sound 'child-friendly' he probably charges for the babycino's - is pretty bad regardless of the circumstances, unless the customer was violent, you'd at least give them their coffee before asking them to leave.

OR maybe give the child their drink sooner they might stop crying?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

cmd'smum  (13-09-2012),Lillynix  (23-10-2011),LoveLivesHere  (23-10-2011)

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
    Storm in a teacup!!!

Personally I think she shouldn't have taken her child out if she had a) just woken and b) recovering from a virus!

The guy said she was crying for 10mins and he didn't ask her to leave just told her it was distracting customers!

IMO no discrimination here, her DD was obviously distressed, take her out and calm her down, your coffee fix can wait!!
    Well said.

DS2 is has an obstinate streak and I know he can be a handful. Still, I deal with him and try my best to minimize the disturbance of others, usually my maximizing it for myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, the thing is they both tell completely different stories. She says it wa 2min, he says 10. She says she was forced to leave, he says he went up to her and told her that the crying was disturbing other customers and then she chose to leave.

So I can't really say anything about that situation because it is a bit he said, she said.

I think it goes both ways though, kids are fine to be in cafes, but the behaviour needs to be ok enough that it isn't upsetting all the other people there, to me it is jut about courtesy.

As a Mum with my own kids, even I have been annoyed at Mum's doing things like one was giving their child a time out in their pram facing the wall, while the child screamed the place down and the mother kept saying "you stay in there until you calm down" and "I am not talking to you until you stop the screaming" then happily continued drinking her coffee. I found that very upsetting as did my girls.

Then some mothers let their children old enough to know better run around the cafe playing chasey because it is a cold, raining melbourne day and they want a coffee and the park is wet.

So if the mother had a sick child who was crying for 10 minutes, I think it is within the owners right to say "ok, it's enough now". As the mother probably shouldn't have had the baby there while still sick enough to be upset about it.

If the story is true from her side, then I think the owner could have waited a while to see if the baby calmed down.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast