+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    Thanks for replies everyone. I forgot I posted this! I have had 3 cycles since then all three have been different. One was really good with minimal anxiety the next was terrible and the last was bad in the few days after ovulation but then improved. I am seeing a psychologist as well which is helping a lot. I am on the ADs everyday at a very low dose but have read that the 2 week on/off is the better option. I was a bit of a mess after a year of this! I am also looking at vitamins that have been shown to help. Anyone tried this? I also have been told it is life long and you have to learn to live with it the best way you can. That is how the psychology stuff is helping me. I would be interested in that online support group. I don't have much time to contribute but I will be interested to read others experiences. Thanks for that : )
    I started going down the vitamins track and my naturopath seemed to think that he could definitely do something to help ease the symptoms a great deal but I fell pregnant only a couple of months after starting to take the stuff so didn't have a chance to see if it works. I think it's definitely worth a try...it certainly can't hurt and would be wonderful if it helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi I hope you don't mind if I join you? I haven't been diagnosed with PMDD but I can pretty much tick off all the 'symptoms'. We are TTC (12months here we come) and I have had a few months which are just terrible. I was taking general 'PMS relief' herbs but it doesn't really touch the sides. It is at the point where I have been considering going back on contraception, even my anti-depressants too after last month. Some months are better than others. I have had PND/depression/anxiety in the past and have been drug free for about 9 or more months. Half the month I am fine, the other half just don't even talk to me. We are going to try the anti-d's two weeks on and off. I need to start exercising and meditating too.

I am pleased that I am not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take the pill and only do tge sugar pills once every 3 months so i can plan a very low stress time with minimal social engagements etc during pmt time. Also warn family that its coming and use all my down time type bsckups like dvds for the kids, pre frozen casseroles, getting more sunshine, and espescially eating more raw and whole foods. Sugary foods and chocolate make it worse. I am on lovan 20mg. It helps. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by made2bAmummy View Post
    I take the pill and only do tge sugar pills once every 3 months so i can plan a very low stress time with minimal social engagements etc during pmt time. Also warn family that its coming and use all my down time type bsckups like dvds for the kids, pre frozen casseroles, getting more sunshine, and espescially eating more raw and whole foods. Sugary foods and chocolate make it worse. I am on lovan 20mg. It helps. Good luck.
    Thanks for that info. From what I was told by my Dr and what I have read I didn't think oral contraceptives where very effective at treating PMDD? Which makes no sense to my - maybe a pill that only has the one hormone type in it? I seem to be super sensative to all hormonal contraceptives - which makes sense I guess if PMDD can effect people with hormonal sensativity. I am at a contraceptive loss ATM! Nothing worse then using condoms with your husband of 5 years!! Anywy - I have started taking Calcium and Magnesium in high doses, cost a heap but I think it might be helping. I seem to be reaching a point with the anxiety and the 'raging' ( as I call it) and then it stays there without escalating which is good. I am also able to put things into perspectie a lot better so what would usually end up as an emotional fight or breakdown is averted. I figure if I have it for life I have to learn to life with it. I am still on teh meds everyday however I might se the GP to change to 2w on 2w off dose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    made 2 b a mummy - glad the pill works for you. I have considered going back on a contraceptive but we are TTC.

ck2b - if you want a different kind of contraceptive I have heard they sometimes use the copper coil - no hormones. I think mainly if you aren't planning on having more kids because it can cause problems. Worth thinking about though. I found that when I was taking magnesium for another reason I was better too. Do you just take the calcium and magnesium or do you take other stuff? I understand with the hormones, we are TTC (12months) so have all the emotions associated with that then add is hormones that are out of whack.

I have started my cipramil (what i used to take) but it is a half dose. Not sure if I will be able to do the 2 on 2 off due to side effects coming on (sleeplessness at night and nausea/dizziness during the day). I might drop to 5mg and see if that goes ok. Once I have had a few 'good' months under my belt I may try with calcium and magnesium but I need a break from the insanity. I hope this delivers. I do feel a lot 'calmer' already - CD 18 of a 31 day cycle. I really felt like I didn't completely 'recover' from last month. I have started 'mood gym' (an online DIY CBT), and trying to meditate and exercise. Something has to work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know what happens with pmdd after childbirth? I first got it when DS1 was about 2 and then as soon as I conceived DS2, it stopped. It's actually how I first suspected I was pregnant. DS2 is 3 months old now and I'm wondering when the pmdd will come back. I've been feeling lousy the last couple of weeks for no good reason at all and AF hasn't come back yet so not sure what's going on. The way I've been feeling reminds me so much of how I felt before I fell pregnant with DS2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    unfortunately, it will return. Its different for every woman. If you arent havibg a period, then you arent ovulating yet, which is what triggers pmdd. So it makes sense that it hasnt returned yet. It likely will w your first or second period. Even more unfortunate is that pmdd usually worsens w every pregnancy. So if it seems even worse this time, know that is "normal" for those of us w pmdd. Best wishes and congrats on the new addition!

Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Babiesoneday View Post
    unfortunately, it will return. Its different for every woman. If you arent havibg a period, then you arent ovulating yet, which is what triggers pmdd. So it makes sense that it hasnt returned yet. It likely will w your first or second period. Even more unfortunate is that pmdd usually worsens w every pregnancy. So if it seems even worse this time, know that is "normal" for those of us w pmdd. Best wishes and congrats on the new addition!

Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub
    Thanks for that info! Not what I wanted to hear....although it's what I expected to hear. :-) I think I figured out why I wasn't feeling great...just need to look after myself a bit better ie. eat better, exercise, get plenty of sleep, and make sure I take my vitamins. It's made a big difference already after only a couple of days.

Ok then, well AF didn't return after DS1 until he was 8 months old so I have a few more months before the pmdd returns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Koshakee - I also felt heaps better emotionally when Iwas pregnant. I didn't have the PMDD then I don't think but I certainly felt much more stable during pregnancy and everyone was a bit concerned as to how bad I would be during pregnancy!

I am using the magnesium still and I find tha tis really helping. I suspected it was and then I didn't take it for about a week ( I ran out) and I really noticed I was more moody and not sleepign as well. I buy the powder which costs a heap but it is much better absorbed and has the right type of magnesium in the correct dose. There are all different sort of magnesium apparently.

If I get through this month ok then it will be my third straight month without any major dramas and then I will see about the 2w on 2w off dose. The medication I am on , Citalopram - apparently doesn't have the same kind of side effects as the others so that is why it is an ok one to stop and start. I am on a tiny dose anyway. I am not seeing the psycologist anymore but the help she gave me was invaluable and has helped me deal with this just as much as any meds or vitamins would. If you are diagnosd with PMDD you can get your GP to do a mental health care plan which gives you medicare rebatable visits to a mental health professional. You need to pay the difference but that depends on where you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, refreshing this old thread with more questions...I have just found out I'm pregnant. Totally an unexpected shock after contraception failure. Anyway, have decided to keep it after making arrangements for a termination and realising I just can't go through with it. So....anyone gone into pregnancy who has pmdd? What happened? What happened after the baby came? Am seeing Dr to work out meds but would like to know other's experiences. Thanks in advance.