+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default PMDD anyone??

I was recently diagnosed with PMDD which was something I knew very little about. Has anyone else had experience with this? Would you mind sharing? I am particularly interested in how long it last for...how long will I need to be on AD's? Also - how are people on the SSRI's dealing with the side effects?

3'llhavetodo is offline Before we as mothers can look after our loved ones we must first look after ourselves
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    I was recently diagnosed with PMDD which was something I knew very little about. Has anyone else had experience with this? Would you mind sharing? I am particularly interested in how long it last for...how long will I need to be on AD's? Also - how are people on the SSRI's dealing with the side effects?
    I've never heard of it. I just googled it ans this, this, this, this and this might be helpful
    I cut and pasted this:-
    To use, or not to use: an antidepressant for PMDD
    Most women experience premenstrual symptoms, but only
    3% to 8% meet the DSM-IV research criteria*,14 for PMDD
    (also called severe premenstrual syndrome).4,15,16 The cause
    is unknown, but it may be due to an interaction between
    normal cyclical ovarian activity and central nervous system
    transmitters, particularly serotonin.17,18
    Antidepressants have not been directly compared
    with other drugs for PMDD (e.g. oral contraceptives).
    Uncertainties remain about the efficacy, tolerability and
    safety of long-term SSRI therapy because of a lack of
    long-term trials.
    Start with non-drug strategies
    and lifestyle changes
    PMDD is a chronic condition, with symptoms lasting
    possibly until menopause. The efficacy, adverse effects
    and cost of treatment are important considerations.
    Start with non-drug strategies (e.g. CBT, relaxation training)
    and lifestyle changes (e.g. exercise)17: see the NPS RADAR
    review for details.*,14
    Consider adding an SSRI for women who still have
    symptoms after 2–3 months of non-drug strategies and
    lifestyle changes.16,17 Trials of oral contraceptives have
    conflicting results but they may be an option for women
    who have only physical symptoms.15-17
    Continuous vs cyclic dosing for PMDD
    Both continuous and cyclic (also called intermittent or
    luteal) dosing of SSRIs have shown similar efficacy.18
    Cyclic dosing is possible because symptoms only occur
    during the luteal phase, SSRIs have a rapid onset of action
    (1–2 days)15 and gradual discontinuation is unnecessary18
    (see Table 3). Cyclic dosing is less expensive, reduces
    drug exposure and may be suitable for women who have
    regular cycles or are considering pregnancy. However,
    it is unclear how cyclic dosing influences the severity
    and frequency of adverse effects or potential drug
    interactions, and women need to keep track of their
    cycle so they know when to start and stop therapy.19
    Table 3: Continuous and cyclic dosing of SSRIs for PMDD2
    Fluoxetine 20 mg
    or
    Sertraline 50 mg
    Continuous
    dosing
    once daily
    Cyclic dosing once daily
    Start 14 days before the expected
    start of menses, continue until

I hope some of this helps and that you get your life back to normality.....what ever that is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that - . I have been reading up on the internet so have all the information but only started doing that 10 days ago when I got diagnosed. I just want to be able to share information with others going through the same thing. I have had depression in the past which was much easier to understand ( to a point). Who has ever heard of PMS that is so bad you need to be on antidepressants for it and lasts 3 weeks and plays complete havoc with your life. The one week you do feel ok, you spend trying to make amends for all the dumb irrational things you did in the other three weeks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds like me! I'm a complete nut the week before and the week of af.
    I have depression but I suspect pmdd also.
    I'm already on antidepressants and have Valium also , mainly for the time I'm a bit more nuttier than normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was diagnosed with PMDD shortly after I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder over a decade ago. From what I've been told, it's not a permanent thing and most periods will result in the usual PMS...actual PMDD does not happen very often (going by what my then psychiatrist told me).

There was one other woman with PMDD at the hospital I was in and we both displayed *extreme* symptoms. PMS for most women can be mild or chaotic...feeling very emotional, angry, homicidal (lol), out of control etc is pretty normal.

I believe I've suffered PMDD twice since then - and I don't have a dr to back that up but I believe it was PMDD because it was different from the usual PMS. In my opinion, PMS and PMDD are not comparable - even if your PMS is severe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have PMDD. I suspect its been present for many years, as do most other women I know with PMDD. I am not sure about the previous poster's info... pMDD is lasting. It generally lasts until menopause is complete. I have yet to meet a woman w pmdd that doesnt have it every month. I wish that were true! Mine didnt become severe to the point that it was effecting my life and I had to look into it til about 2.5 yrs ago. Since then, its who I am 2.5 to 3 weeks of every month. Sad but true. You arent alone! I belong to an amazing group for pmdd sufferers worldwide online if you are interested in joining, send me a message. We're on there daily!

Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I tried prozac but it did nothing for me. The more research you do, youll likely find what most of us already have... No one treatment (except removal or ovaries) works for every pmdd woman. Ita unfortunate but true

Thanks
    Reviews
    ck2b - I had it too before falling pregnant with DS2. He's only 7.5 weeks old so it hasn't come back yet (secretly hoping it never does but not liking my chances). It started off only lasting for about 1 week before AF but built up to about 2-3 weeks out of every 4 and like someone mentioned above, that week off was miserable anyway cause I new what was coming and felt bad for the way I'd been during the previous 2-3 weeks. It's a horrible cycle and happened every single month since it first started. I never ended up on AD as I was TTC when it started and was diagnosed but I did end up at a naturopath after struggling for 8 months and feeling like I was never going to fall pregnant. Unfortunately I can't say whether that worked cause it wasn't long after that I finally fell pregnant so I'm not totally sure if what I was taking had started to work yet or not but it has given me enough hope that if the PMDD does come back in the future, that is where I'll head first before going for AD or any other type of hormone medication or the pill. I believe that my hormones were very messed up and that they can be balanced out again by natural remedies so I will definitely try that first as I don't want to spend the rest of my life until menopause on medication for it that doesn't actually fix the problem, only stops the symptoms.

At the moment I feel great except that having the depression and anxiety for the 8 months before falling pregnant has greatly affected my ability to cope and I'm struggling more than I did when DS1 was born. I feel like I'm at a much greater risk of developing PND and have to be very careful of how much I take on, do things a bit differently (eg. using a dummy when I was completely against them and desperately wanted to avoid using one) and really make a conscious effort to make sure I don't end up with PND but so far I'm coping ok.

Also hi Babiesoneday! Found this thread after you posted on mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replies everyone. I forgot I posted this! I have had 3 cycles since then all three have been different. One was really good with minimal anxiety the next was terrible and the last was bad in the few days after ovulation but then improved. I am seeing a psychologist as well which is helping a lot. I am on the ADs everyday at a very low dose but have read that the 2 week on/off is the better option. I was a bit of a mess after a year of this! I am also looking at vitamins that have been shown to help. Anyone tried this? I also have been told it is life long and you have to learn to live with it the best way you can. That is how the psychology stuff is helping me. I would be interested in that online support group. I don't have much time to contribute but I will be interested to read others experiences. Thanks for that : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im on my cell right now and cannot post the link but it is called "PMDD Support 2" and is a facebook group. Cat Stone is the moderator. See if you can find it. If not, ill post the link.later