View Poll Results: Are your under 6 years old sons circumcised?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 23.70%
  • No

101 74.81%
  • No, but they are going to be soon

2 1.48%
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becandabub View Post
    Surely this is not a reasonable comparison? The foreskin is a tiny flap of skin with limited, if any, function and non-visible in day to day life - it will be a boy/mans choice for the most part who knows if he's got one or not. The breasts are functional & obvious, therefore affecting a young lady in an obvious way to the outside world & with her potential to breast feed her children should she choose to do so. This sensationalist talk is what blows things out of proportion.
    I wish they covered the foreskin more in sex ed, it has a huge purpose. It makes sex more enjoyable for men, because of the nerves that are still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    I asked my 10yo son about what happens in the change room at swimming - none of the kids 'look' at each other, though apparently one day the boys did start a convo on circ'ng and the few kids who were circ'd were uncomfortable about admitting they were circ'd.

DS has since commented to me that he's glad he's not circ'd
    So now we can use the locker room excuse for not circing now
    Last edited by Mod-xkwzit; 03-11-2011 at 20:45. Reason: unnecessary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know a guy who wasn't but had so many infections ...
    This form of argument by anecdote, although common, is wholly unconvincing, particularly in this case given the rarity of adult circumcision for "infections".

I sometime think this child's right to choose debate is a little difficult to back up - if it's a tiny baby's right to choose, then what is the parent's role? Surely it is our role to act in what we believe a child's best interest is ...
    We are talking about surgery that is both unnecessary and irreversible. It is surely not hard to see that the child's interests are best served by deferring the decision until the boy is old enough to make it himself.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (01-11-2011),share a book  (03-11-2011)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty off topic, but anyway. Apart from the whole procedure itself, do you know what bugs me? Calling it a circumcision. Yes, it is medically accurate, but it makes it sound less horrifying than I find it.

I wish it was called a foreskin amputation. Or how about describing in medical terms as a neural and dermal amputation of the distal penis? That sounds as scary as I find it. For some reason, calling it circumcision seems to minimise it's impact.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Californication  (01-11-2011),Gandalf  (01-11-2011),Witwicky  (03-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Pretty off topic, but anyway. Apart from the whole procedure itself, do you know what bugs me? Calling it a circumcision. Yes, it is medically accurate, but it makes it sound less horrifying than I find it.

I wish it was called a foreskin amputation. Or how about describing in medical terms as a neural and dermal amputation of the distal penis? That sounds as scary as I find it. For some reason, calling it circumcision seems to minimise it's impact.
    Good point. Agree with you on that one.

Coming live from my phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Thays a really good point

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews

Unnecessary surgery involving neural and dermal amputation of the distal penis...
    Last edited by DQ; 03-11-2011 at 17:56. Reason: incorrect procedure noted

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DP & I have decided if we have a boy we will circ
    The foreskin is a tiny flap of skin with limited, if any, function and non-visible in day to day life
    I must say, I find it really sad that you obviously have no idea of what a foreskin is and what any of it's many functions are, yet you are willing (if you have a boy) to get unnecessary plastic surgery to have it removed. I really hope that if you are ever in the position, you do a great deal of research before subjecting your child to an irreversible and painful procedure to deprive him of a useful part of his anatomy. He may end up resenting you for your hasty and uneducated decision.

There is only one part of the body that has no function in the modern human, and that is the appendix. It is not visible in day to day life, and if it gets infected and prompt medical treatment is not sought or available, the infection can actually end up killing someone pretty quickly. However, only one group of people have their appendix removed "just in case" and they are those going to work in Antarctica. It is very hard to evacuate out of Antarctica at certain times of the year, hence the extreme step.

Every other body part, including the foreskin and other parts commonly removed (tonsils for example), most definitely have a function.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

sweetseven  (04-11-2011),Witwicky  (03-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by freshy View Post
    It is 22% at the moment which is only a little above the current national rate of 19%. What I find interesting is that out of more than fifty actual replies only two have been from mothers who had their boys circumcised. Make of that what you will but it suggests to me that they are embarrassed and ashamed they had their boys done.
    Or maybe those that circ are sick of the same old judgments and generalisations? I think this is the 2nd circ thread I've replied in for about 18 months for that reason. I circed my son, and any other boys will be circed as well. Zero embarrassment and zero shame... and zero interest in what others think of me I'm a loving, educated mum...judge if you will, but honestly I'm totally comfortable with my decision
    Last edited by delirium; 03-11-2011 at 21:03. Reason: typo

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

DQ  (03-11-2011),kalgirl  (12-12-2011),myliltiger1  (08-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Or maybe those that circ are sick of the same old judgments and generalisations? I think this is the 2nd circ thread I've replied in for about 18 months for that reason. I circed my son, and any other boys will be circed as well. Zero embarrassment and zero shame... and zero interest in what others think of me I'm a loving, educated mum...judge if you will, but honestly I'm totally comfortable with my decision
    Well said!!! I totally agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Well said!!! Totally agree with you

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast