+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey quick question for those who've been through egg pick-up before. I've been pretty relaxed (as I can be) about the process so far, I've not been phased with the constant scans, blood tests, self injecting, being reminded of how "old" I am, I've been lucky enough to respond well to the protocol, the hormones are all doing what they are supposed to do but the thought of going under sedation for the pick-up just freaks me out. I'm told its over very quickly, as in about 20 minutes, anyone been through it got any words of wisdom??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Joozys For This Useful Post:

Kenta  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh Joozys me too.. I am literally petrified of being knocked out (mine will be a general) ... It is the only thing I am actually freaking out about..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Joozys, yep it's over before you know it. I always try to stay awake for as long as I can (kind of like a game - sad I know) but before you know it you drift off. Then you wake up and have no idea what happened ha ha. Then they say how many eggs they got (in my case 8 both times). I think I was lucky both times I was chirpy and bright aftewards and they gave me a spinach and ricotta roll which I woofed down ha ha. No pain either when I got home. This time I'm doing IVM so expecting a bit more pain. I reckon you'll handle it just fine.

As for the age thing - oh my gosh you feel like telling them to shut up. We are quite aware of how old we are thank you very much!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerShine For This Useful Post:

Joozys  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jeb8303 View Post
    Oh Joozys me too.. I am literally petrified of being knocked out (mine will be a general) ... It is the only thing I am actually freaking out about..

I'm right there with you Jeb - utterly petrified!

May I ask why yours will be a general as opposed? (feel free to tell me to mind my own business!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Joozys View Post
    I'm right there with you Jeb - utterly petrified!

May I ask why yours will be a general as opposed? (feel free to tell me to mind my own business!!)
    My FS always does EPU under GA. I guess he works with anaesthetists that more routinely use it. I've been under GA a few times in my life for various surgeries and I hate it because I find that I don't recover quickly from it (I don't feel normal again for at least a week!) so I'm going to ask if he'll consider heavy sedation instead. In all honesty though, even though I think I'd recover quicker from sedation than GA, it's not the worst thing in the world. I find for some reason that I cry a lot when I wake up from GA, so Jeb if that happens to you, don't freak out. Apparently it's quite common I hope that no matter what you feel about the GA, you get some good quality eggies from EPU! For both of you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently had my first egg pick up. It's over before you know it. I had a general anaesthetic and went home later in the morning and didn't end up needing needing any pain relief at home. Good luck. It does seem worse than it is.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenta For This Useful Post:

Joozys  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure.. The day surgery and FS choose to general.. Not sure if I'm happy cos I thought it'd be twilight.. I'm not looking forward to the pain afterwards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck for tomorrow Joozys I was petrified the first time I had GA (and I talk when I'm worried) so spoke on and on and on and had no idea I was about to go under (I must of stopped mid sentence) and it was finished before I knew it...I woke up fine (but looking for DH) and then saw how many eggs I got...you'll be fine xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was really worried first time i went under a GA, it was for my lap a few months back. id heard all about the pain and aftermath of a lap, but i was still more frightened of the GA. as far back as i can remember i have never been unconcious. never fainted/blacked out/had a GA at all so i was really nervous.
    now i wish i had some of that stuff sometimes when i have a sleepless night, knocks you out in seconds!
    For my EPU im fairly sure the anestitist (or however its spelt) said it was a heavy sedation.(i might be wrong!!) i woke up about an hour or so later and was MUCH more alert than recovering from the GA. however i did almost pass out twice after. once at hosp on the loo of all places, (followed by IV fluids and a sammich) and again at home that night when i tried to stand up and help peel a few spuds lol. i have had a little postural hypertension in the past, but i felt much better 24 hours later.
    keep eating and drinking after to get your energy back and take it easy!!!!
    With the GA i slept and slept and slept all the way home while mum drove for 3-4 hours. then slept some more. took a lot longer to recover from.
    we are all unique though and you might wake up and feel like jogging home!

my clinic is in a hospital so in the back of my mind i feel safer knowing that if anything goes wrong, im already in the right place.

JUST REMEMBER: its all for the end result. and nothing we are putting ourselves through can be as bad as childbirth, which is what we are signing up for!!

good luck!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Amysan For This Useful Post:

Joozys  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Joozy's hope it goes well. Im sure its prob like a lot of this stuff, the anticipation is worse than the actual thing. I'd heard horror stories about the HSG test, and was all anxious, and it was easy as pie. Hopefully you'll just drift off and have a great sleep, and wake up and know you've gotten lots of eggs

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Joozys  (24-01-2012)