+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 18 month age gap - what's your routine like and how do you cope?

I know this might have been done before but I just wanted to ask anyone who has small age gaps how they get through the day. DD is 22 months and DS is 3 months and some days I feel so snowed under with constant screaming, cleaning and feeding that I feel like crying! I am trying to put the kids in a routine that can give the day more structure, and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas? Also how did you manage to get through the early days? People tell me it will get easier but I'm finding it extremely tough. Hubby is on shift work and uses the car so im left to my own devices. Tried putting the tandem on the bus and it was a nightmare! I suppose ergo and umbrella stroller are the way to go but wish I had the luxury of a car :-( nearly cried at my first playgroup session as all the mums were so cliquey and were plain rude when DD kept running through and bumping into their kids (that's what toddlers do right???)

Sorry for the rant your help would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have sent you a private message.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello! I have the same issues with the small age gap. I have 3.5, 2.5 and 1 next week. Please take it from someone who has been there, it gets easier! When they are babies it's so hard. I tried to get the babies down all at the same time just so u can have a cuppa and reorganize for the next 3 hrs invest in a Phil and Teds or double inline stroller!. I think steelcraft do one too. The are the best thing ever and you can go anywhere. I do have the luxury of a car although it's sometimes better to go for a walk and clear your head

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4spunkygirls For This Useful Post:

TheCatsMeow  (14-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also forgot to add. I set my older girls up with activities when I'm not working, like puzzles/play dough/water play. Your 22 month is probably still a bit young, but it keeps them occupied whilst your busy with bubs. When bubs is sleeping I tried to spend as much time as I could one on one time with the older one so when I was busy with hubs they weren't too jealous.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4spunkygirls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is there any way you can drop hubby at work or he can get public transport? Personally with a 17 month age gap the only way I coped was getting out of the house in the morning everyday. We would get up pack lunch etc and do all the free activities we could think of. When activity was finished, we would have lunch and head home for nap time. Ds1 always went down at the same time, so when DS2 was little and unpredictable Id make sure we'd at least have down time (normally meant me snoozing while he fed). Eventually they both developed the same sleep time and its soooo much easier.

Are there any things you can do in walking distance?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hence the reasons we opted for a 3yr gap

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 3 year old and a 14 month old and no car so I know how you are feeling. I have tried the side by side twin prams and the in line pram (not a phil & teds as I couldn't afford it) but in the end I was lucky enough to get a peg perago that my older girl stands on the back of. Before that it was a stroller and the ergo like you said.
    I have been told it gets better as they get older and I have had some really bad days but they are getting further apart (most of the time). I also recently joined a playgroup and although a little cliquey at the beginning they have opened up a little more on each of our visits.
    Stick with it it does get better

11. The Following User Says Thank You to travelbugtoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly big hugs!

I have an 18 month gap, with a 20 month old and 9 week old... Those first days were awful and so full on and I thought it would never get better, LOL...

As each day is passing by, things are getting easier every day... Most days are easy, but some are harder than others - like the last two days I feel like I have been nagging and saying 'no' to DD1 all day!!! DD2 has silent reflux so cat naps during the day...

My current FB status says 'some days you just gotta accept that neither of your girls are gonna sleep, despite the fact I've just spent 2 hours trying' ~ LOL!

My night time 'routine' is very strict ~ however at the moment we don't have much 'routine' during the day, however we do have structure and it works for us for now. Six out of seven days a week I get the girls down for a nap at the same time, so really thats all I can ask for!

Don't be too hard on yourself, we are too still in the early days, but I do know things are a lot easier now than what they were 9 weeks ago, even 6 weeks go!

A lot of people say to me 'oh you have your hands full don't you' and I just politely say, 'full now or full in 3-4 years time, doesn't really make a difference does it'... No matter the age gap, they all come with their own set of challenges.

Sorry for the ramble, but hang in there!

A.
    xx

... just saying' ... ~ Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub ~
    Last edited by babylove81; 21-10-2011 at 19:33.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babylove81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing...

Thanks for this thread, i have a 21 month old and 2 week old.

It is by far tge hardest thing ive done, i wonder if it get any easier, I pray that it does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing as I have a 10 month old and have just found out I'm expecting in July so that will be an 18 month age gap. I'm delighted and think it will ultimately be fantastic but am also terrified. I'm going to spend the next 9 months collecting favours to call in after the birth and building up my support network. and strength to you OP