+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) BOOK THREAD

Hi all, this thread is for chatting about the book series 'A Song of Ice and Fire' by George R R Martin. The first book in the series 'Game of Thrones' has just been made into a tv series. There's a thread for the TV show here, but it's hard to talk about the books there without giving away massive spoilers. So this thread is for those who have read the books!

However one request - please don't give any spoilers from the most recent book 'A Dance With Dragons' as it only came out recently and I know there are a lot of people (myself included) who have not finished it yet! So please no spoilers from the newest book! The other books are all fair game

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh found the thread :smileydance:

I haven't read Dance with Dragons yet either! I thought I'd be lining up outside the bookstore on release date trying to get it as I was so eagerly waiting for it! But I simply have had time to read

I just want to know what happens to Brienne and Bran, oh and of course Arya!! Question: what do you think of Jaime now? And don't you just love Tyrion??

Thanks
    Reviews
    *haven't* had the time lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi there, i just bought dance with dragons today from big w, omg it's a huge doorstop of a book! need two hands to pick it up lol.

brienne has become my favourite character! i reckon she's probably the only one apart from ned stark and robb stark who has some honour and tries to do the right thing. i like the fact that she's ugly, she's not this stereotypical fantasy warrior maiden who is beautiful and glamorous and good with a sword! i can't believe she was hanged at the end of 'a feast of crows', do you think the red priest will bring her back to life like he did with catelyn stark and beric dondarrion?

i agree i'm so desperate to find out what happens to arya after the cliffhanger situation they left her in! and bran hasn't been seen for AGES. i dunno how samwell tarly managed to keep his meeting with bran a secret from jon snow, he must have some serious willpower!

tyrion rocks!!! i dunno about jaime, i still don't like him much but i like the fact that he and cersei are starting to grow apart! can't wait to see her get her comeuppance!

what did you think of renly in the books vs the tv show? in the books he is meant to be like robert, a great warrior, but in the tv series he was such a wuss who freaked out at the sight of blood!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I started reading "Dance" when it first came out but I'm hardly through any of it at all; I never have the time to read, and when I do I always find something else to do!

My biggest problem is because of the massive gaps between book releases, I have forgotten the story, and who and where all the characters are. Very frustrating. I tried to read a recap on someone's blog of the "story so far" before I started "Dance", but gave up because all it did was confuse the hell out of me!

I think what I'm going to have to do is eventually, someday way in the future, start the entire series all over again... daunting, but hopefully do-able. The funny thing is I seem to remember A Game of Thrones so clearly (and no I haven't seen the series yet, it's been on my metaphorical "to watch" pile for ages), but all the other books are a blur.

I love Arya, Brienne (I'd forgotten about her until I red this thread!), Daenerys, Jon Snow and Tyrion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi sariele, have you tried looking up the previous books on wikipedia, they usually have pretty good plot summaries that are easy to understand if you are just trying to refresh your memory about what happened!

i like daenerys as well, i like how she went from a meek girl who was always bullied to an ambitious queen!

one of my burning questions is - where is rickon? i hope he and osha have not been killed, it was so sad when ned and robb were killed - i hope there's no more stark deaths!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally forgot about Rickon too! Man, that's it, I really need to at least skim-read these books again. Oh, and thanks for the wiki recommendation, I'll check it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aquarius, remember, as they string Brienne up she cries out a word. I wonder if what she says makes them take her down. Or have I forgotten something? And I think if she does die, the red priest will bring her back - there's no way she's finished. She had too much determination to just die like that!

I like Jamie now. I think he's finding some deep down hidden honour. A lot of the bad stuff he did was because of Cersi. Now she doesn't have that hold on him, he seems to be coming good. He changed because of his ordeals and learnt something from Brienne. He admires her for a reason. Remember, he killed the mad king, despite being kingsguard, because of how mad he was and the king was going to burn Kingslanding (was it just kngslanding or was it all of Westeros, hmmm can't remember that one). That's a fact everyone forgets - he did them a favour by going against his vows.

Ah Sam! I love him too

Daenerys rocks! She is seriously awesome.

Remember the dragon has three heads? Daenerys is one obviously, then probably Jon Snow (all us nerds think so), but what about the third?? Tyrion perhaps? What do you think?

Hooves is offline My children/my legacy, the best of me is inside them.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am still reading book 3. I came to this series late!

I am loving it though. I find I have to keep skipping ahead to find out what happens to individual people. Like Bran for example. I love the way this is written keeps you interested and I can't put these books down for long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hello hooves, i hope you don't find out too many spoilers from this thread as most of us have read beyond book 3! glad you are enjoying the series, you're right, the books are really well written!

loopy - omg i forgot that brienne cries out a word when they string her up! you're right, i bet they take her down and she recovers. do you reckon she and jaime will get together at end of the series (whenever that is!)

speaking of jaime, you're right i forgot that he broke his vows and killed king aerys to stop him burning kings landing. but then how come he never tells anyone that's why he did it? maybe he did explain somewhere and i've forgotten, maybe i should go back and read it again!

dragon has three heads - yeah i reckon daenerys, jon snow and tyrion for sure!

the other thing i wonder about - who is jon snow's mother? i'm wondering if he's actually the love child of lyanna, ned stark's sister, and rhaegar targaryen? and lyanna asked ned on her death bed to pretend that jon was his so that jon wouldn't be killed for having targaryen blood? just a few things i've read seem to suggest that but i dunno, what do you guys think?