+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Have counsellors/psychologists actually helped you?

I have gone to 2 different psychologist now and 1 counsellor and none of them actually seem to help. I have depression on and off and anxiety all the time, but they never really give me any tips on how to deal with it, or how to identify if my reactions to certain things are valid or just my anxiety, or what triggers me to feel the way I do or how to stop it.

The counsellor I am going to at the moment has probably been the best help, but I still feel completely confused and like I am getting nowhere. And I was on that mental health plan but I am not now, and really thinking about not going back as I'm not sure it is worth the money...

Am I expecting too much from the sessions? I know obviously any changes still have to come from ME, but I still feel at a lose about HOW to change things or WHAT exactly I need to change. Sigh...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Crap, 1st reply didn't work.

I saw a clinical psychologist for anxiety a couple of years ago and found him to be great. He did a mixture of a couple of types of therapy (CBT and ACT) and I just picked the strategies that worked best for me. I have been able to largely keep my anxiety under control using these strategies which is such a relief.

I think it's a balance between knowing that implementing strategies takes time and practice (so sticking with someone long enough to give them a chance) and finding the "right" psychologist/counsellor for you. That being said, it sounds like the people you have seen aren't explaining themselves well at all if they aren't providing you with strategies etc. to help you deal with the issues you are having.

I am biased because I am studying psychology (though not clinical psych) - but I believe that for *most* people psychologists can be of benefit if they can find someone they trust and who is good at what they do.

Have you been upfront and spoken to them about the fact that you don't know how to change things and what you need to change? You are the one paying for the sessions - even though the psych is guiding the session you have a say in what type of things you might want to cover.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (19-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think you're expecting too much from the sessions. The psychologist I'm currently seeing for reactive depression has been doing for me all the things that you are wanting from yours.
    She's putting forward suitable short term and long term suggestions, including both distraction and coping strategies. When I asked her straight out to tell me if I was just being a malingering, self-indulgent whinger I received a much more sympathetic answer than I was expecting.
    I think it might be a matter of continuing to look for the right person for you.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I reckon psychs are like men, you have to see a few before you find a good one.

My psych got me through my divorce in one piece, I credit him fully for my relative sanity. He was the fourth one I saw, the others made me feel worse!

Keep looking, you'll find the perfect one for you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

skebn  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very much so - it's a matter of finding the right one. My experience is that CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is very effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been to a few over the las t few years but none have been helpful at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Have you been upfront and spoken to them about the fact that you don't know how to change things and what you need to change? You are the one paying for the sessions - even though the psych is guiding the session you have a say in what type of things you might want to cover.
    The hard part is, some of the things I feel anxious over I don't know if it is something "valid" or if it is my anxiety. I do want to get rid of my anxiety, but I have had it for so long, at times I get confused about which parts of it are normal and which aren't, if that makes sense? I was hoping they could help me work that out too, but none of them seem to actually say much.

I also have so much trouble with decision making and drive (as in getting things done, particularly goals of mine) and I was hoping maybe someone would be able to help with that. But I have just been told that I AM making a decision to be indecisive

I feel like I need help with some things, and have tried to get it, but no one seems to actually help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was seeing a Psycologist last year for severe depression and anxity. He used hypnosis to help me cope with stress and my depression and anxity. I would recommed it to anybody who is struggling.