+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default starting solids

Ok so with so many info out there.... some don't start solids until 6 months some its better to start at 4 months to even the bf exclusively until 7 months cos of the iron intake. What is the right thing to do? I feel like ds is ready for solids but I don't want to disadvantage him. He turns 4 months next week. If I give him 2 tsp of smashed banana is that suppose to replace the milk for that feed or is that on top of the milk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't worry about DD's age when starting solids, I just went by her signs of readiness, so if you believe he is showing many signs of being ready, I wouldn't worry about doing the wrong thing by him!

At this age solids are on top of milk, so still keep up with the same milk intake, as it will be his main source of nutrients etc for a little while yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that. You mentioned showing many signs. Just wondering what some of them maybe? I think he's ready because I know he is able to identify food now. Everytime he sees me eating, he starts moving hes mouth as if he's eating something as well.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep give solids after the milk. Other signs can be; chewing, watching you eat with interest, perhaps not feeling satisfied after his milk. Some paeds recommend starting solids at 4mths now rather than 6mths. My bub had reflux and i started solids at 4.5mths and it helped his reflux alot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The best physical signs babies are ready for food is if they can sit unaided, they lose their tounge reflex ( natures way of telling us and them not to put things in their mouth!) and if they start grabbing at your food and trying to eat it! I did BLW with DS at 6 months exactly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

wrena  (16-10-2011)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    And just to add- solids aren't meant to replace the milk feeds until they're about 1 year of age... until then, think of them as complimenting the milk feeds

(And just for reference, we did BLW at 6 months when the boys could sit up unaided and had lost the tongue reflex )

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 5 months and has been trying to grab and shove my food in her mouth for ages.
    She has bottle at 6am, yogurt at 7:30am, bottle at 10am, food at 12, bottle at 2pm(maybe!) food n bottle at 6pm. She still tries and grabs my food, little piggy!
    I had no idea what baby led weaning was lol!

RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    With DD (I remember her weaning more than DS's) from about 4 months she was taking food out of my hands and putting in her own mouth. I would give her a plum to suck (I would hold it) and she loved it! I also had a mesh feeder. I love them! I would put soft fruits like rockmelon & watermelon in the mesh and she would suck the pulp out.

I then started giving her toast crusts to suck and chew on. I didn't officially start feeding her with a spoon until about 5.5 months, but she would sit in her highchair while we ate dinner and lunch and suck on finger foods.

As for dropping (BF or Formula) feeds - don't think about it. For the first month or so you wont really notice any difference in the amount they are drinking - then they will tell you. They will just drink less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is 5mths yesterday and is having solids. Not purees though as he still tongue thrusts. But he literally snatches food out of my hands. So i give him biscuits here and there, and pieces of pear or apple, and carrot or broccoli ect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Those mesh feeders are terrific! I wouldn't give hard finger food until bub has a few teeth nor do i think it's recommended anyway. I used to give bub a biscuit crushed up in a little of his milk til i thought about the amount of sugar in those arrowroot biscuits eeks! Bub loves pieces of banana and those mum mum crusket thingies which are good because they disolve. Today i gave bub a piece of bread with a thin layer of vegemite which he loved sucking.