+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default When did you start your Premmie on solids?

DS was born at 35 weeks and is now just over 5 months (4 months corrected)

I know the health organisation now states to hold off until 6 months before starting a baby on solids which i was planning on doing but don't know whether to start him on his actual age or his corrected age?

I think he is far from ready at the moment and wouldn't even consider it but just don't want to hold off until his corrected age if it's not good for him iykwim

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I dont have have a premmie, but would consider the average of corrected and actual age might be a good guideline for milestones.

As for starting solids, I believe in following bubs cues, so if he is interested then let him, but if he is not wait until he shows interest. I am of the opinion that starting on solids should occur somewhere between 4-10 months depending on the child in question, so that gives a wide range to work with. And I believe (though I might be wrong) that the reccomendations are that prior to 12 months, solid food is primarily for experience not nutricion, so your bub shouldn't be missing out if he isn't ready yet.

I did however hold off for the minimum of four months for my bubs when they showed interest in food early. At that time the reccomendation was six months but had previously been four months. DD6 especially took to solids really well and I dont think I would've done her any favours holding off until six months. She showed interest from two months, but I made her wait until four months.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 14-10-2011 at 20:58.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

insanity  (14-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah i know what you mean.. when i had my older kids the recommendation was 4 months.. yet DD2 had no interest until after 6 months.

I saw the paediatrician today and had every intention of asking him as DS is on neocate formula as they thought he may have intolerances so i'm not sure if he can have custards etc when he does start but he was sick and had to fly interstate as his father was sick and had cancelled all appointments after mine and he just really rushed me in and out and i totally forgot to ask! Now i don't see him again until xmas... so annoyed!

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried at 5 months (4 months corrected) and DS1 wasn't interested. I stopped and offered again a fortnight later. He still wasn't interested but devoured it the fortnight after. My paed suggested that approach and I went with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bellalika For This Useful Post:

insanity  (14-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started at 4.5 months (3.5 corrected).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

insanity  (14-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I have had 2 premmies both have suffered reflux and both times our pediatrician suggested trying solids earlier. In saying that my DD2 was 4.5mths corrected (6.5mths actual) and was not really ready as she still had the tongue pushing reflex but was a terrible feeder up until around 2yrs!

My DS was 4mths corrected (6.5mths actual) and he loved it! He had all the ready cues at the time I started, we slowly introduced foods but he is not fussy at all and will happily eat anything the only problem is getting him to stop!!!!

Good luck 

Sent from my iTwinkle

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummypants For This Useful Post:

insanity  (14-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was 4 and a half when I started her on solids only a teaspoon with her losec on it. So 3 and half months adjusted.

It wasn't until she was 5 months and 4 months adjusted she started opening her mouth and taking it for real.

Having said that when she started at first sometimes she would have it and sometimes not.

She started with 10mls and now at almost 6months (5months adjusted) she is eating between 40mls - 60mls twice a day.

Anyanka

ps...the feed after 6 month thing came in because they thought delaying solids would fix the allergy problem. Studies have found its not making a dent in allergies to food. So now the recommendation is when your child is ready. Looking at you eating, opening mouth when you put food near. Swallowing but not pushing food back out with the tongue thrusting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started mine about 5mths, which would be 3.5mths corrected. The dr said she was fine to start, started on farex which she pushed out, some days it stayed in, tried different times of days to see if that made a difference, then I thought I'd try pumpkin & sweet potato, SHE LOVED IT!!!! So it may have taken 2wks to get her to eat properly and its taken another 6wks to get her to eat breakfast. But we have done it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our neonatologist recommended 5 months corrected but advised anytime between 4-6 months. He stated they have changed the recommendations about 6 times over the last 20 years from results of different studies but it usually comes back to 4-6 months.

Mum to Max born 25+1 now 8 months (5 months corrected)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the info girls!

I started him around 2 weeks ago and he went ok for around a week but now he flat out refuses to eat. He just shuts his mouth and turns away. His just over 7 months.. almost 6 corrected so i'm getting a little worried that he doesn't want to eat