+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Induction Q's

So I had a check up today at 38+3. everything is going fine and normal, BP sugars, proteins, etc. all good. I have no GD, no prev pregnancies, am 30, healthy, if slightly obese.

my last scan at 36 weeks showed an estimated weight of 3.1kg or 6.8lbs. Apparently this is slightly above average. Head circ and length spot on average.

So anyway my next appt, in 7 days, the Dr wants to schedule an Induction at 40+10, as she thinks the baby is a bit fat, and doesn't think I should be allowed to go too far overdue.

Now the last Dr I saw told me these estimates are only 15% accurate!

I told this Dr I didn't want to be induced, and she said yes of course it's my decision but at the end of the day they will advise what is best for the baby, and that the placenta doesn't work as well after 40+10.

So I'm thinking about it now and I'm a bit confused. I know, I need to ask the Dr these things, just thought I'd put it on here first in case I am missing something.

1.Why schedule interference on 15% accuracy?
    2. is the 40 +10 the cut off due to placenta performance drop or because they don't want my baby to get too big?
    3. 3.1kg at 36 weeks doesn't seem very big to me! What do you think the weight would be by 40 weeks based on this estimate? Is this big for 36 weeks?

thanks for your thoughts
    Last edited by northern; 12-10-2011 at 00:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am no expert by far, and have no answers but my babe was about 7 pounds at my 24 week ultrasound, 6 pounds doesnt seem too big good luck mama

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    7Pds at 24wks? Are you sure thats right?

Op i got a growth scann at 36wks as they thought ds2 was really big. He was 7Pds at 36wks. Off that we estimated 250g weight gain week. So we figured he would be 9pd at 40wks. He was born at 40+9 and weighed 9pd9.5oz. So not that big.

It sounds like your ob just wants to get bub out early for no good reason. 40+10 Isnt the placenta cut off, both my boys were born at 40+9 with healthy placentas that werent going to die within 24hrs. My friend is currently in labour at 42+1. Some women just gestate longer. Id do my research and stick to your guns, there is no need for bub to come out early due to its size.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (12-10-2011),northern  (12-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops math fail it would be 28 weeks ultrasound, of course my hubby's family has big babies 10-12 pounders

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really don't want to be induced. She also said I may just need to have my waters broken - but that's a type of induction isn't it? I hear thats mostly quite painful.

I don't understand, at our antenatal classes the midwife went on and on about how we shouldn't fear birth as our bodies are made to do this, babies know how to be born etc.

So why do we 'need' so much intervention??
    Last edited by northern; 12-10-2011 at 12:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Bumping this up for you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

northern  (13-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with my baby as they said she was very big. She was only just over 9 pounds in the end.You can check out my birth story to see how an induction can work. For me I wish that I would of stood my ground and not had the induction as it does make contrations more painful/intense. It sometimes does not work which means a CS .

As for getting your waters broken this was done for me and I did not feel it ,i was on gas by that stage.

go with what you want and dont be swayed away from that

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know regarding bub's size, but I have heard that the placenta begins to deteriorate very late in pregnancy. Bub also washes off the vernix (sp?) so their skin can become waterlogged and their is an increased chance of bubs swallowing mechonium(?, poo). I could have been mislead though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought 42 weeks was normally the cut off for medical reasons - not so much the size?

Placenta break down as you mentioned, but same as what bellalika said above - especially swallowing muchonium which can be fatal to the baby?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I went to 41+5 (spontaneous, i was not induced) with DD and she was my smallest baby at 3.5kg and my placenta was perfect, she just needed to bake longer than her brothers (both born at 40+3 (spontaneous).