View Poll Results: Click the closest answers - multi choice!

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would highly encourage my child to do an organised sport.

26 63.41%
  • I do not think organised sport is very important.

3 7.32%
  • I would highly encourage my child to do music.

21 51.22%
  • I do not think organised music is very important for my child.

4 9.76%
  • I would highly encourage my child to learn a language

14 34.15%
  • I do not think learning a language is very important for my child.

6 14.63%
  • I would highly encourage my child to do dance.

9 21.95%
  • I do not think dance classes are important for my child.

8 19.51%
  • I would highly encourage my child to do tutoring out of school.

8 19.51%
  • I do not think tutoring out of school is very important for my child.

7 17.07%
  • I would highly encourage my child to do community services.

15 36.59%
  • I do not think community service is very important for my child.

6 14.63%
  • I think schools provide enough activities.

6 14.63%
  • I don’t believe in structured activities.

2 4.88%
  • Other

9 21.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Poll on extra-curricular activities.

How important are extra-curricular activities for your family?

What activities would you made SURE your child is a part of, and why?

What activities would you not encourage your child to do, and why?

Read the poll questions first before ticking boxes lol I know it's fun to be click happy but I want the answer most applicable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We made a list of things we though DD might enjoy, told her about all of them, and let her choose which one she wanted to do. We will do the same with the others when the time comes.

I could never push or 'direct' my child to a particular thing or type of activity, it should be their choice and they do it because they want to.

DD chose to do Karate, which she has been doing since Feb this year and is on her Yellow belt.

The only thing I would try and discourage (though never stop her doing it if she really wanted) is dancing. The world of dancing rubs me very much up the wrong way. My pre-teen and teen nieces as well as my 3yo niece dance and the outfits and make-up just make we want to puke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it's hard to know now, but it would be influenced by my child's abilities and what he's interested.

Music and dance is a huge part of my life, but if DS has no interest in it I wouldn't push him towards it. I think organised sport teaches lots of valuable skills eg teamwork etc, so would definitely encourage that.

Doing weekly volunteer work was something my parents built into our routine as far as I can remember, and I think it has played a large part in my social and emotional development - so again, something I would lean towards doing with DS.

Between DH and myself we speak a few languages, and as he's growing up he'll be exposed to that, but I wouldn't enrol him in formal lessons unless he was really keen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    My pre-teen and teen nieces as well as my 3yo niece dance and the outfits and make-up just make we want to puke.
    I agree... have never really understood the whole makeup deal for little kiddies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (11-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only think it is important to encourage my DD to do whatever she is interested in.

I do think extra activities are really important though and think there should be more options at schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds started swimming at age 4 and apart from that I'm not that keen on out of school activities for him. But, he's going to a private school, so he does music, sport (including swimming), etc, etc as part of school already and I know a lot of schools can't offer that. I do want him to learn a musical instrument when he's a bit older (maybe 6 or 7), but I will probably get him to have lessons during school hours rather than outside of school hours.

I really don't want 'stuff' to invade the after school time or weekends as I see that as important family and rest time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree it is a good idea to wait and see what your children choose, but I am conflicted... what if there is something you really value personally, like music. Your child isn't always going to want to go, so do you let them quit or do you encourage them to do the instrument of their choice but they have to stick to it even when it gets hard at times?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i don't particularly like extra-curricular activities for primary school aged children. I think one activity of their choosing is fine. They have to stick to it for a year though!
    Music, organised sport, languages they do at school. I wouldn't use extra tutoring unless it was strongly recommended by the teacher.
    Interesting timing, there was an article in the paper this morning saying that structured activities are/can be (can't remember exactly) WORSE for kid's development and imaginative play than tv.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    But, he's going to a private school,
    I see you are in Melbourne... which school does he go to if you don't mind me asking? Do you pay extra for all of the activities?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    I agree it is a good idea to wait and see what your children choose, but I am conflicted... what if there is something you really value personally, like music. Your child isn't always going to want to go, so do you let them quit or do you encourage them to do the instrument of their choice but they have to stick to it even when it gets hard at times?
    You let them quit!! DP has never forgiven his parents for pushing him to learn an instrument. It was their love, not his and he hated it.

If they keep changing their mind you make them stick to one thing (of their choosing), but not because you value it, but because they have indicated that they do.