+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default hello, new member

hello just wondering if anyone can help answer some questions i have about getting relocated, anything from packing the house, to the pets, cars, getting to the destination anything will do, my husband will be leaving for training in feb 2012 and the kids and i will then move to the posting he get which is either amberly,townsville in qld or richmond in nsw so some very exciting times

Thanks
    Reviews
    Contact DCO ( defence community organization) www.defence.gov.au/dco/
    They have lots of contacts for you and answer any question.
    If your not joining hubby till after he finishes training defense will organize your move but you have to arrange for pets with costs being reimbursable after you arrive.
    PM if you have any other questions I have done lots of moves.

I have a smart phone & one day I will be smart enough to use it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BorrisWombatWife For This Useful Post:

caitiee4  (10-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey again i had a look at the website, thanks for that, i do have some questions still, do the raaf relocate 2x cars, and i also read on aother posts about them flying you to the post your given or driving, what have you done in the past, where are you posted atm and which armed forces is your hubby in ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Caitiee4,

My hubby is RAAF and i am happy to answer any questions you might have.

When your DH finishes recruits and is off to hie IET's you may or may not go with him, you only go with him if the IET's a more than 6mths. When you post out yes the will move both cars if you fly. They also will pack and unpack your house for you too, and they put you in temp accomodation until the house is ready to move into. You can also take the option to drive and the will still relocate a car for you as well as give you allowances to help with the drive etc..

Any thing i can help you with dont hesistate to ask.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default :( weeks down 7 weeks to go

Well hubby started training in wagga, miss him already and so does the kids, just want it to hurry up already, still so many unanswered questions, driving me insane, is this the right decision??????

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default A little comfort.

Honestly? You might not know if it's the right decision until he's finished all of his training and is in the 'real' RAAF. The attrition rates for the services are quite high in the first 4 years because people join thinking that it's what they want, and then realising that it really isn't their thing.

That being said, we all sign up for a minimum period of service. Mine is 6 years. However, if I was to really REALLY hate the services and want to get out, there are ways. It can take 12 months or longer, but if it's impacting your home life in a very negative way (ie. leading to family break down etc) they will do their best to help you out in every way they can. Counseling, moving families closer for shorter stints than 6 months, allowing more freedoms etc. are all possibilities.
    If none of that works or if the member really just isn't coping with the lifestyle, you CAN leave.
    So don't worry too much, even if it is the 'wrong' choice there are still ways out. They acknowledge that we put our families through a lot of grief and uncertainty because we're no longer calling the shots for them, THEY are.
    So they do their best to make things work for you and your family before cutting you loose. But at the end of the day they acknowledge that some people just aren't suited to the job and that they're not necessarily going to be doing the best job they can if their mind or heart isn't in it.

I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but the time your DH is at rookies will be the distant past, and it'll just be something that he did ages ago .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

caitiee4  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default :)

all i really want to know is Where will hubby be posted and when ????? does anyone know when roughly they get told?

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I got my posting orders about 2 weeks before I left rookies, I think that's the standard amount of time really. Unfortunately there's no way to get posting orders fast-tracked, although your DP should have a good idea of where he'll be going for initial employment training.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah he has to go up to amberley, for his on job training, so there is another 7 weeks there by myself with the kids they have both been so naughty lately and ones been sick so im having a hard time atm, where abouts is everyone thats been commenting based atm( and again to all thank you for being so helpful) i have 40 days .... an counting until we all go over to wagga and watch the hubby graduate so atleast i have something to look forward to... touch wood nothing happens lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi op my hubby joined army last year
    He was in wagga in July til oct he left for basic training two weeks after I found out I was Preg with no.2 it's a hard slog I feel for u! I work as a RN in a busy hospital, studying a post grad degree and I live interstate from family or support! This time just makes u tougher! I have felt that I have had to seek out supports myself as the army hasent really approached me! Can I say it gets better after kapooka when he's at IET he can call: Skype and he has weekends free! My hub was in melb so I saved some cash and made sure I visited! He got his posting a few weeks before leaving IET and he got amberley! We moved on the 23rd of dec which was pretty stressful as well as being 28 wks Preg! But the army take care of everything toll pack ur stuff and move it they give u money to help u relocate and give u accommodation as well! We also got housing through DHA which took the stress out of looking for a place because it's usually left up to u! As hubby will leave IET and wad straight to posting! Since being settled in things have been good although they tend to go away from time to time at a minutes notice! It's a full on lifestyle and we have had our doubts! If u want to chat pm me! I honestly know what ur goin through and it's tough! But it will get a bit better!