+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to hear some positive stories. We are heading there on Saturday, after being assured at our pre-admission they do not advocate controlled crying. I told the nurse there was no way I would be leaving my child all alone and crying, and they said they only encourage what a parent is comfortable with. We'll give it a go and hope for the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    QEII does not do controlled crying and nor do they make you do anything you don't want to do. They work with the family helping them to achieve the goals the family (Mother usually) has written. I went there with my 10 mth old and found it amazing and helpful. We did ignore my baby's low grade grizzles, but not cries, I did a lot of hands on settling with patting, singing and sh sh sh ing, just to get my babe to learn to sleep in a cot and get him back to sleep once he woke (usually 3 to 4 x overnight). While there the midwives pickedup that his weight had dropped nearly 2 percentiles on the growth charts. We offered him more foods during the day and a breast feed overnight. I have only praise for the midwives who work there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's great you had a positive experience. The first night we were in a nurse/midwife told me to leave the room for 15 minutes while she tried to settle my screaming child. I lasted less than a minute, it was horrible. Apparently they call it responsive settling, but leaving a baby to cry goes against every fibre of my being We had a mixed experience, we were given conflicting information and advice from different staff, which I was rather unhappy with, but some staff were lovely and helpful. The third night I was in I was in tears because my son was worse than he was at home, and the staff who were on were useless (ie. didn't even offer any assistance or advice when I asked for it). I guess like anything else it will always be a mixed bag. Glad it worked well for you! callc