+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Queen Elizabeth II Family Centre

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone has any epxperience with QE II? My almost 9 month old is a shocking sleeper (always has been) and the MACH nurses keep offering a referral to QE II. I have been reluctant to take them up on this as I figured this is just what babies do, but its getting ridiculous with 9 + wake ups a night. Has anyone used this service before or know anyone who has, any positive outcomes?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to QEII with my boy when he was eight months old, as he was waking every two hours during the night and sometimes only sleeping for thirty minutes all day ... my fault as I was feeding him to sleep. Lesson learnt! He was a bad sleeper from day one and I thought this was normal too.
    I hated the place when I got there, and probably cried more than my son! But it was totally worth it. I got some really good advice and it made a huge improvement in sleep. If you have the chance, you should go - it makes a world of difference when everyone gets a good night's sleep. Be prepared though for it being a bit rough on the first day/night.
    Last edited by sankee; 11-10-2011 at 21:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A GP referred me there, but they called me back due to the lack of details on the referral. The lady I spoke to there was nice at least

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went there when my daughter was 6 months. The staff are lovely and very helpful. It was them who raised concerns about my PND. But, you need to prepare yourself for controlled crying. They will call it something else, but it is your baby crying themselves to sleep. I am not criticising the method - but am just letting you know that's what they advocate as it can be quite confronting if you are not prepared for it.
    Good luck. I believe my mother cursed me - she said I was such a shocking baby that she hoped I would have bad sleepers too. And I do...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,
    It's good to hear that some people have had positive outcomes with QE2. I have been referred there with my 12 week old, he'll be 3.5 months when we go. Surely they wouldn't use CC on a bub this young? Has anyone been with a baby this younger than 6 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went with DS when he was 9 months. TBH it was okay but did not solve our sleep problems. When we went there most were little babies and us, a 2 year old and a 1 year old and the staff were very focussed on the little babies and us with older babies were kind of left to our own devices. DS settled reasonable well there and the one time he really kicked off I could not get anyone to come help until 40 mins afterwards in which we had managed to settle DS to sleep on our own.

Also they kept telling us how far we had come since arriving but in reality we did everything in the same order, the same way as we were doing at home and I did not learn one settling technique that I did not already know.

If you have done your research and tried lots of different things you probably won't get much out of QEII. But being away from home where all you have to do is look after your bub (while someone else cooks, makes your bed etc) then it's a good break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies. We had a referral sent off on Tuesday, but from what you've all shared I'm not sure I would want to go. I am not comfortable leaving my baby to cry and scream, it seems to go against everything I believe about how I should parent. We've tried everything except controlled crying, and every night seems to be worse than the one before. I'm trying to complete a degree long distance so the idea of being away from home is not at all appealing, and if their only technique is leaving a baby to cry it doesn't sound like the solution for us. I guess I'll learn to deal with our horrible nights!

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tainted,

It probably can't hurt to speak to one of the nurses about their methods. I'm booked in for the start of November, the week before I'm going in to have a look around and speak to them. I think that is a standard thing. If I'm not comfortable with their methods I won't be going, I'm definitely not doing CC on my 12 week old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the little babies they patted them to sleep. They showed us what they did for them, as we were borderline on the age they tended to start leaving the babies to put themselves to sleep. We put her on her side facing away from us and patted and shushed until they were quiet/still.

For the older babies it was called something like responsive settling, ie listening to their cries and going in when they reached a certain level (rather than the 5 min intervals or other methods). But it is still leaving your baby to cry, and you are still sitting there listening to them cry with the nurse telling you not to go in.

But this was three years ago now, so I would recommend talking to them to see if this is still what they do. I don't want to put you off going. Many of my friends have got a lot from it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP,

I have just had a stay at QE2. I would recommend it to anyone. They are very family centred and work with you to find ways to help solve you and your babies issues. I found them to be much more supportive than the MACH nurses, a few of them even suggested co-sleeping for a portion of the night as a perfectly safe option. They will not make you do anything you are not comfortable with.

It was also lovely to be able to talk to other parents with non sleeping babies.
    Good luck, hope it's going ok for you now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to punky For This Useful Post:

Annieclaire  (07-09-2013)